Solve a PDE with Separation of Variables

In summary: So k^{2}_{x} and k^{2}_{y} will be the constants for the spatial and time parts of the wavefunction respectively.
Battlemage!

Homework Statement

Solve the 2-D time-independent Schrödinger equation with V (x,y) = 0:

Homework Equations

2/2m ( ∂2Ψ(x,y)/∂x2 + ∂2Ψ(x,y)/∂y2 ) = EΨ(x,y)​

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by getting -ћ2/2m to one side:

( ∂2Ψ(x,y)/∂x2 + ∂2Ψ(x,y)/∂y2 ) = -2mE/ћ2 Ψ(x,y)​

Here is my problem: I'm not sure what to do with everything on the right side of the = sign.

What follows is my misguided attempt at a solution:

I assumed a solution of the form

Ψ(x,y) = X(x)Y(y)​

Then I substituted this in for Ψ(x,y), giving:

Y(y) d2X(x)/dx2 + X(x) d2Y(y)/dy2 = -2mE/ћ2 X(x)Y(y)​

Then I divided both sides by X(x)Y(y):

1/X(x) d2X(x)/dx2 + 1/Y(y) d2Y(y)/dy2 = -2mE/ћ2

And here is where I hit the road block. If the two 2nd order ODEs are equal to a constant, then it is pretty obvious that since they add together to get -2mE/ћ2
and are equal to each other, then the constant they are equal to has to be -mE/ћ2. I can't really see how to solve those ODEs. I mean, I can't just use the auxilery equation, because that would be m2 = 0, which would give me two solutions of zero. Obviously I am missing something pretty important here.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Please keep in mind that this is very new to me, and any explanations will have to be pretty elementary if I am to understand.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You must have solved an equation like X''(x)=C*X(x) before. Because that's what you've got. I think the general solution can be expressed as the sum of exponential functions. Or if C is negative, sin's and cos's.

Your are thinking about the Laplace equation:

[tex]\nabla^{2} \Psi= 0[/tex]

The time-independent Schrodinger is what is called the Helmoltz equation:

[tex](\nabla^{2} - k^{2})\Psi= 0[/tex]

where [tex]k^{2}= \frac{-2mE}{h^{2}}[/tex]

What you have is fine, so let's just define

[tex]\frac{X''}{X}=k^{2}_{x}[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{Y''}{Y}=k^{2}_{y}[/tex]

So, [tex]k^{2}_{x} + k^{2}_{y}=k^{2}[/tex]

You solve like you normally do. At this point you cannot say what [tex]k^{2}_{x}[/tex] and [tex]k^{2}_{y}[/tex] actually are.
But the value of E will determine the sign of [tex]k^{2}[/tex]. This in turn gives the signs of gives the sign of [tex]k^{2}_{x}[/tex] and [tex]k^{2}_{y}[/tex] from our relationship.

One of the values of E is allowed, while that other is not. This depends on the physics of the problem: boundary conditions, initial conditions, unbounded variables, finiteness, etc. Also, [tex]k^{2}_{x}[/tex] and [tex][k^{2}_{y}][/tex] depend on the physics.

Like, is this a 2D Well or a Free Particle? The solutions are very similar and use the PDE you mentioned.

If you haven't notice yet, E is the separation constant between the spatial and time parts of the Schrodinger Eq.

Last edited:

Related to Solve a PDE with Separation of Variables

1. What is separation of variables in solving a PDE?

Separation of variables is a method used to solve partial differential equations (PDEs) by separating the variables in the equation and solving each part separately.

2. Why is separation of variables useful in solving PDEs?

Separation of variables reduces a complex PDE into simpler ordinary differential equations (ODEs) that can be easily solved. This method also allows for the use of boundary conditions to find a particular solution to the PDE.

3. What types of PDEs can be solved using separation of variables?

Separation of variables can be used to solve linear and homogeneous PDEs with constant coefficients. It is also applicable to some non-linear and non-homogeneous PDEs, but the process may be more complex.

4. What are the steps involved in solving a PDE with separation of variables?

The steps involved in solving a PDE with separation of variables are: 1) Assume a solution in the form of a product of functions of the individual variables, 2) Substitute the assumed solution into the PDE, 3) Separate the variables and solve each resulting ODE, 4) Apply boundary conditions to find the values of the arbitrary constants, and 5) Combine the solutions of the individual ODEs to get the final solution to the PDE.

5. Are there any limitations to using separation of variables in solving PDEs?

Yes, separation of variables can only be used for PDEs with certain characteristics, as mentioned in question 3. It is also not applicable to all types of boundary conditions, and it may not always yield a solution that satisfies all the conditions. In such cases, other methods of solving PDEs may need to be used.