How to Separate the Wave Equation into Three ODEs Using Separation of Variables?

In summary, the conversation discusses using separation of variables to solve the wave equation for ψ=ψ(t,x,y), resulting in three separate ODEs for T, X, and Y using the separation constants -k_x^2 and -k_y^2. The equation must be set equal to 0 and rearranged in order to solve for these variables.
whatisreality

Homework Statement

The wave equation for ψ=ψ(t,x,y) is given by

##\frac{\partial ^2 \phi}{\partial t^2} - \frac{\partial ^2 \phi}{\partial x^2} - \frac{\partial ^2 \phi}{\partial y^2}##

Use separation of variables to separate the equation into 3 ODEs for T, X and Y. Use the separation constants
##-k_{x}^{2}X## and ##-k_{y}^{2}Y##

Do not introduce any more separation constants for T.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm fairly sure I know how to start.
Ansatz ψ(t,x,y) = T(t)X(x)Y(y). Sub the derivatives of this into the the wave equation:

##XY\frac{\partial ^2 T}{\partial t^2} - TY\frac{\partial ^2 X}{\partial x^2} - TX\frac{\partial ^2 Y}{\partial y^2}##=0

Then divide by TXY:
##\frac{1}{T}\frac{\partial ^2 T}{\partial t^2} - \frac{1}{X}\frac{\partial ^2 X}{\partial x^2} - \frac{1}{Y}\frac{\partial ^2 Y}{\partial y^2}##=0

Rearrange:
##\frac{1}{T}\frac{\partial ^2 T}{\partial t^2} = \frac{1}{X}\frac{\partial ^2 X}{\partial x^2} + \frac{1}{Y}\frac{\partial ^2 Y}{\partial y^2}##
Which is only possible if LHS = RHS = constant, I think? But then I would get
##\frac{1}{X}\frac{\partial ^2 X}{\partial x^2} + \frac{1}{Y}\frac{\partial ^2 Y}{\partial y^2}## = constant, and how do I separate that further? Why would I need more than one constant of separation?
Because if
##\frac{1}{X}\frac{\partial ^2 X}{\partial x^2} + \frac{1}{Y}\frac{\partial ^2 Y}{\partial y^2}## = constant

Then surely each individual term must also be a constant, and I can just write
##\frac{1}{X}\frac{\partial ^2 X}{\partial x^2}## = ##-k_{x}^{2}X##
##\frac{1}{Y}\frac{\partial ^2 Y}{\partial y^2}## = ##-k_{y}^{2}X##

And why wouldn't I introduce a new constant for T? What do I write instead,

##\frac{1}{T}\frac{\partial ^2 T}{\partial t^2}## = constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
whatisreality said:

Homework Statement

The wave equation for ψ=ψ(t,x,y) is given by

##\frac{\partial ^2 \phi}{\partial t^2} - \frac{\partial ^2 \phi}{\partial x^2} - \frac{\partial ^2 \phi}{\partial y^2}##

You are missing the "= 0" which would turn that expression into an equation.

Use separation of variables to separate the equation into 3 ODEs for T, X and Y. Use the separation constants
##-k_{x}^{2}X## and ##-k_{y}^{2}Y##

Do not introduce any more separation constants for T.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm fairly sure I know how to start.
Ansatz ψ(t,x,y) = T(t)X(x)Y(y). Sub the derivatives of this into the the wave equation:

##XY\frac{\partial ^2 T}{\partial t^2} - TY\frac{\partial ^2 X}{\partial x^2} - TX\frac{\partial ^2 Y}{\partial y^2}##=0

Then divide by TXY:
##\frac{1}{T}\frac{\partial ^2 T}{\partial t^2} - \frac{1}{X}\frac{\partial ^2 X}{\partial x^2} - \frac{1}{Y}\frac{\partial ^2 Y}{\partial y^2}##=0

Rearrange:
##\frac{1}{T}\frac{\partial ^2 T}{\partial t^2} = \frac{1}{X}\frac{\partial ^2 X}{\partial x^2} + \frac{1}{Y}\frac{\partial ^2 Y}{\partial y^2}##
Which is only possible if LHS = RHS = constant, I think? But then I would get
##\frac{1}{X}\frac{\partial ^2 X}{\partial x^2} + \frac{1}{Y}\frac{\partial ^2 Y}{\partial y^2}## = constant, and how do I separate that further? Why would I need more than one constant of separation?
Because if
##\frac{1}{X}\frac{\partial ^2 X}{\partial x^2} + \frac{1}{Y}\frac{\partial ^2 Y}{\partial y^2}## = constant

Then surely each individual term must also be a constant, and I can just write
##\frac{1}{X}\frac{\partial ^2 X}{\partial x^2}## = ##-k_{x}^{2}X##
##\frac{1}{Y}\frac{\partial ^2 Y}{\partial y^2}## = ##-k_{y}^{2}X##

You mean
[tex]
\frac 1X \frac{\partial^2 X}{\partial x^2} = -k_x^2 \\
\frac 1Y \frac{\partial^2 Y}{\partial x^2} = -k_y^2
[/tex]

And why wouldn't I introduce a new constant for T?

Because you need [tex]
\frac{1}{T}\frac{\partial ^2 T}{\partial t^2} - \frac{1}{X}\frac{\partial ^2 X}{\partial x^2} - \frac{1}{Y}\frac{\partial ^2 Y}{\partial y^2}
= \frac{1}{T}\frac{\partial ^2 T}{\partial t^2} + k_x^2 + k_y^2 =0[/tex]

Likes whatisreality
pasmith said:
You are missing the "= 0" which would turn that expression into an equation.

You mean
[tex]
\frac 1X \frac{\partial^2 X}{\partial x^2} = -k_x^2 \\
\frac 1Y \frac{\partial^2 Y}{\partial x^2} = -k_y^2
[/tex]

Because you need [tex]
\frac{1}{T}\frac{\partial ^2 T}{\partial t^2} - \frac{1}{X}\frac{\partial ^2 X}{\partial x^2} - \frac{1}{Y}\frac{\partial ^2 Y}{\partial y^2}
= \frac{1}{T}\frac{\partial ^2 T}{\partial t^2} + k_x^2 + k_y^2 =0[/tex]
Oh yes, I did mean that. An yep, get the bit about not introducing a new constant too! Thank you :)

What is separation of variables in PDE?

Separation of variables is a technique used to solve partial differential equations (PDEs) by breaking down a multi-variable equation into simpler, single-variable equations. This allows for the solution of the original PDE to be expressed as a combination of simpler solutions.

How does separation of variables work?

The technique involves assuming that the solution to the PDE can be expressed as a product of functions of each variable. These functions are then substituted into the original PDE, resulting in a system of ordinary differential equations (ODEs) that can be solved separately. The solutions to the ODEs are then combined to obtain the solution to the PDE.

What types of PDEs can be solved using separation of variables?

Separation of variables is most commonly used to solve linear, homogeneous PDEs with constant coefficients. However, it can also be used to solve some non-linear and inhomogeneous PDEs under certain conditions.

What are the advantages of using separation of variables to solve PDEs?

One advantage is that it allows for the solution of complex PDEs by breaking them down into simpler equations. It also often leads to closed-form solutions, making it easier to interpret and apply the results. Additionally, separation of variables is a well-established and widely used technique in PDE solving.

Are there any limitations to using separation of variables?

Yes, separation of variables can only be applied to a limited set of PDEs, and the solutions obtained may not always be valid for all values of the variables. It also requires a certain level of skill and knowledge to correctly apply the technique and obtain a valid solution.