Solve Banked Curve Problem: tan θ = ν^2/rg

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the relationship between the tangent of the angle of a banked curve and the velocity, radius, and gravitational force. The person asking for help is struggling to understand how the normal force and centripetal force work together to provide the necessary force for the curve. The conversation also mentions the angle of the banked curve and confirms that the normal force is perpendicular to the road surface while the gravitational and centripetal forces are in the horizontal plane.
oreo
A problem states " For a banked curve, ignoring friction, prove that tan θ = ν^2/rg". I tried to prove but I thought that as the normal force is at right angle to track then how could be the component of normal force provide the centripetal force as my book is saying. Please someone help. I would be greatful.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have solved it but still can't understand how is component of normal force providing centripetal force.

Think about the resultant of the normal force and centripetal force being equal to the gravitational force.

I want to confirm this that is centripetal force of curved bank directed towards its center which is perpendicular to normal force or is directed towards the axis of curved road. Please reply

Normal is perpendicular to road surface. Gravity is vertical. Centripetal is in horizontal plane. The road is banked at 45 degrees according to your post.
You caught me, didn't you. Normal would be hypotenuse of force triangle, centripetal would be one leg, and half of gravitational would be other. Best double-check me on that.

What is the equation for solving a banked curve problem?

The equation for solving a banked curve problem is tan θ = ν^2/rg, where θ is the angle of banking, ν is the velocity of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and r is the radius of the curve.

What does tan θ represent in the banked curve equation?

Tan θ represents the angle of banking in the banked curve equation. It is the angle between the horizontal surface and the banked curve.

What does ν^2/rg represent in the banked curve equation?

ν^2/rg represents the lateral acceleration of the object in the banked curve equation. It is the product of the square of the velocity and the tangent of the angle of banking, divided by the radius of the curve and the acceleration due to gravity.

How does the angle of banking affect the banked curve problem?

The angle of banking affects the banked curve problem by determining the amount of lateral acceleration needed to keep the object moving along the curve without slipping. A larger angle of banking requires a lower velocity, while a smaller angle of banking requires a higher velocity to maintain the same level of lateral acceleration.

What are some real-life applications of solving banked curve problems?

Solving banked curve problems has many real-life applications, such as designing roads and highways, constructing roller coasters, and understanding the dynamics of vehicles on curved tracks. It is also used in sports, such as racing and skiing, to optimize performance and safety on curved paths.