Solve Challenging Integral with Proven Techniques | x>1 Integer Solution

In summary: Breaking it in 4 fractions would definitively lead to a sum of divergent integrals, but dividing it into 2 integrals: x \displaystyle \int_2^\infty \frac{1}{y(y^2-1)\log(x+y)} + \int_2^\infty \frac{1}{(y^2-1)\log(x+y)} Since the value of the second one is too small for large x, any idea about what to do with the first one?If you divide the first integral by the second, you may be able to approximate the limit as x gets larger.Since the value of the second one is too small
pkmpad
Hello.

I am having a lot of trouble trying to solve/analyse this integral:

$$\displaystyle \int_2^\infty \frac{x+y}{(y)(y^2-1)(\ln(x+y))} dy$$

I have tried everything with no result; it seems impossible for me to work with that natural logarithn.

I have also tried to compute it, as it converges for positive values of x, but that does not help neither.

It is given that that x will be an integer x>1.

Is there any way to leave the integral in terms of x? And to get its asymptotic behaviour?

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try splitting the integrand into three or four parts: [itex] \frac{x+y}{y(y^{2}-1)\ln(x+y)}=\frac{A}{y}+\frac{B}{y-1}+\frac{C}{y+1}+\frac{D}{\ln(x+y)}[/itex].

Svein said:
Try splitting the integrand into three or four parts: [itex] \frac{x+y}{y(y^{2}-1)\ln(x+y)}=\frac{A}{y}+\frac{B}{y-1}+\frac{C}{y+1}+\frac{D}{\ln(x+y)}[/itex].

Thank you for your interest.

If I tried that, wouldn't I have a sum of divergent integrals?

pkmpad said:
Thank you for your interest.

If I tried that, wouldn't I have a sum of divergent integrals?
I do not know, but since the lower integral limit is 2 and x is greater than 1 you should be safe.

Svein said:
I do not know, but since the lower integral limit is 2 and x is greater than 1 you should be safe.

Breaking it in 4 fractions would definitively lead to a sum of divergent integrals, but dividing it into 2 integrals:
[tex] x \displaystyle \int_2^\infty \frac{1}{y(y^2-1)\log(x+y)} + \int_2^\infty \frac{1}{(y^2-1)\log(x+y)} [/tex]

Since the value of the second one is too small for large x, any idea about what to do with the first one?

I am speculating about the complex domain and the residue theorem, but as of now I have not figured out exactly how to apply them.

Likes pkmpad
I can give some sort of an answer, but not very useful.

1. Substitute p for x and z for y (just in order not to get confused).
  2. Assume p ≥ 3
  3. The integrand now reads [itex]\frac{z+p}{z(z-1)(z+1)log(z+p)} [/itex]
  4. Calculate the residues at z = -1, 0, 1, 1-p:
[itex]Res_{z=-1}:\frac{p-1}{(-1)(-2)\log(p-1)}=\frac{p-1}{2+\log(p-1)} [/itex]
[itex]Res_{z=0}:\frac{p}{1(-1)\log(p)}=\frac{-p}{\log(p)} [/itex]
[itex]Res_{z=1}:\frac{p+1}{1\cdot 2\log(p+1)}=\frac{p+1}{2 \log(p+1)} [/itex]
[itex]Res_{z=1-p}:\frac{1}{(1-p)(2-p)(-p)}=\frac{-1}{p(1-p)(2-p)} [/itex]

Given that, we can find the primary Cauchy value of [itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{z+p}{z(z-1)(z+1)log(z+p)}dz[/itex] from the sum of the residues times πi:
[tex] \pi i (\frac{-p}{\log(p)}+\frac{p-1}{2\log(p-1)}+\frac{p+1}{2\log(p+1)}-\frac{1}{p(1-p)(2-p)})[/tex]
or, rewritten with x instead of p:
[tex] \pi i (\frac{-x}{\log(x)}+\frac{x-1}{2\log(x-1)}+\frac{x+1}{2\log(x+1)}-\frac{1}{x(1-x)(2-x)})[/tex]
Given that x should be an integer greater than 1, we have excluded the possible value of x = 2, where we get a (sort of) double pole at -1.

Likes pkmpad
Thank you! That helps a lot in my problem in spite of being focused on the complex domain of the function

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is used to calculate the total value of a function over a certain interval.

What makes an integral problematic?

An integral can be problematic when it is difficult or impossible to solve using basic integration techniques. This can happen when the function is complex or when the limits of integration are not well-defined.

Why is help needed for problematic integrals?

Help is needed for problematic integrals because they require advanced mathematical techniques or computer algorithms to solve. These methods are not always intuitive and may require specialized knowledge or software.

How can problematic integrals be solved?

Problematic integrals can be solved using various techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, or numerical approximation methods. It may also be helpful to consult with other mathematicians or use specialized software or calculators.

Why are problematic integrals important in science?

Problematic integrals are important in science because they often arise in real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and statistics. Solving these integrals accurately is crucial for making accurate predictions and understanding complex systems.