Solve E(min(X,100)) Using Geometric Distribution with Theta | Homework Help

In summary, the problem is trying to find the expected value of a geometric distribution when x is greater than 100, and there are two suggestions for how to solve the problem. The first suggestion is to not use x as the index of summation and to use a similar notation to the problem. The second suggestion is to informally think about the second sum as involving the expectation of a constant function with respect to the distribution of X . However, the next step is still unclear.
sneaky666

Homework Statement

Whats a hint to solve E(min(X,100)), when X~Geometric(theta)?

Homework Equations

geometric distribution where p is theta

The Attempt at a Solution

I got here

summation x*theta*(1-theta)^x
x=o

+

inf.
summation 100*theta*(1-theta)^100
x=100

But I don't know what to do now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Two suggestions:
1) Don't write your summations using x as the index of summation: if you wanted to compute [tex] E(X) [/tex] you could write it as

[tex]
\sum_{j=0}^\infty j \theta (1-\theta)^j
[/tex]

Do something similar in your problem.

2) Informally, if [tex] X = 100 [/tex] then it happens that [tex] \min(X, 100) = X [/tex],
so your first sum can extend to 100 and the second can start at 101.

Thus your expression can be written as

[tex]
E[\min(X,100)] = \sum_{j=0}^{100} {j \, \theta (1-\theta)^j} + \sum_{j=101}^\infty {100 \, \theta (1-\theta)^j}
[/tex]

What can you do with this?

for your second summation, why is it to the power of j, shouldn't it be to the power of 100, since its a constant probability when x>= 100?

sneaky666 said:
for your second summation, why is it to the power of j, shouldn't it be to the power of 100, since its a constant probability when x>= 100?

No - that's part of the reason I suggested changing the index of summation away from X. You use the distribution of X to calculate the expected value - the exponent in that distribution is not a constant. Perhaps it would help to think about the second sum as involving the expectation of a constant function with respect to the distribution of [tex] X [/tex].

ok, but what is the next step, how do i expand the summations?

Work on them and come back with what you tried.

so then the second summation can be changed to

theta(1-theta) * summation from k=100 to infinity of k(1-theta)^(k-1)
theta(1-theta) * summation from k=100 to infinity of (-d/d*theta)*(1-theta)^k
theta(1-theta) *(-d/d*theta)* summation from k=100 to infinity of (1-theta)^k
theta(1-theta) *(-d/d*theta)((1-theta)^100)/theta)
theta(1-theta) * (100theta(1-theta)^99 + (1-theta)^100)/theta^2
(1-theta) * (100theta(1-theta)^99 + (1-theta)^100)/theta
((1-theta)/theta) - (1-theta) * (100theta(1-theta)^99 + (1-theta)^100)/theta
this new term in the begginning is the expected value of a geometric distribution
((1-theta)(1-(1-theta)^100))/theta - (100theta(1-theta)^100) / theta
here i am stuck, i know this is not the answer but it is pretty close

so my last step is
summation ktheta(1-theta)^k
k=0
+
((1-theta)(1-(1-theta)^100))/theta
-
100(1-theta)^100

the answer i think is the middle term, but somehow i need to remove the first and third term...

Last edited:

Related to Solve E(min(X,100)) Using Geometric Distribution with Theta | Homework Help

What is expected value?

Expected value is a mathematical concept that represents the average outcome of a random event. It is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome by its probability and then summing all of the products.

Why is expected value important?

Expected value is important because it allows us to make informed decisions and evaluate risk. It helps us understand the potential outcomes of a situation and determine if the potential benefits outweigh the potential costs.

How is expected value used in science?

In science, expected value is often used in statistical analyses and decision-making processes. It can be used to determine the expected outcomes of experiments, evaluate the effectiveness of different treatments or interventions, and assess the risks of certain actions or events.

What factors can influence expected value?

The factors that can influence expected value include the probabilities of different outcomes, the potential benefits or costs associated with each outcome, and any uncertainties or biases in the data or calculations.

What are some common misconceptions about expected value?

One common misconception about expected value is that it represents a guaranteed outcome. In reality, expected value is just an average and does not guarantee a specific result. Another misconception is that expected value is always a whole number, when in fact it can also be a decimal or fraction.