Solve Economics NPV Problem: Chris Wants a Fridge

• Thread starter jdawg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Economics
In summary, Chris is willing to spend up to $3886 on a refrigerator in order to save $3 every day on eating out. This takes into account his discount rate of 18% and the financing deal offered by Lowe's, with payments spread over five years. By equating the NPV of costs and savings, the top price for the refrigerator is calculated as $3883.
jdawg
I hope that I am posting this in the right place, I wasn't sure where to post this question!

Chris is renting a house, and it does not have a refrigerator. A refrigerator is worth $3 every day because Chris will eat out less. Chris has a discount rate of 18%. Refrigerators usually last 5 years. Lowe’s is offering a financing deal with 10% downpayment and payments spread over five years. Every year of payments equals 25% of the purchase price. At these terms, how much is Chris willing to spend on the fridge?

I am so confused on this problem. My professor already gave us the solution, but he did it in an excel spreadsheet and I need to know how to do it by hand for my upcoming midterm. I think what he did in the spreadsheet was adjust the cost until he got an NPV of 0. This is what he calculated Chris was willing to spend: $3886.

Thanks for any help!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Say Chris is prepared to pay as much as he saves - preferably less, but not more.

So if you calculate his savings and calculate his costs, then equate them, you get his top price.

PV can be applied to each item of cost and to each item of saving, using the given discount rate. So if you apply this first, then equate the NPV of costs to the NPV of savings, you get the top price you want.

His savings are given as a set amount, so you can just calculate the total NPV.
His costs are all given as multiples (or fractions, if you prefer) of the cost price, so their NPV will be expressed as a multiple of the cost price.

I get $3883 myself.

http://www.mathsisfun.com/money/net-present-value.html might help with the maths.

1. What is NPV and how is it calculated?

NPV stands for Net Present Value and it is a financial metric used to determine the profitability of an investment. It takes into account the time value of money by discounting future cash flows to their present value. The formula for calculating NPV is: NPV = Initial Investment + (Cash Flow / (1+r)^n), where r is the discount rate and n is the number of periods.

2. What is the purpose of solving an economics NPV problem?

The purpose of solving an economics NPV problem is to determine whether a potential investment or project will result in a positive or negative return. It helps decision-makers evaluate the profitability and feasibility of a project by taking into account the initial investment, expected cash flows, and the discount rate.

3. How does Chris's desire for a fridge relate to an economics NPV problem?

Chris's desire for a fridge can be seen as a personal investment decision. By using the NPV calculation, Chris can determine if purchasing a fridge is a financially sound decision. He can compare the cost of the fridge, expected savings on food costs, and the discount rate to see if the investment will result in a positive or negative NPV.

4. What factors should be considered when solving an economics NPV problem related to purchasing a fridge?

When solving an economics NPV problem related to purchasing a fridge, the following factors should be considered: the initial cost of the fridge, expected savings on food costs, the discount rate (which can be based on the rate of return on other potential investments), and the estimated lifespan of the fridge. Other factors such as maintenance and repair costs can also be taken into account.

5. Can NPV be used to compare different fridge models?

Yes, NPV can be used to compare different fridge models. By using the same discount rate and considering the initial cost, expected savings, and estimated lifespan of each model, one can determine which model will result in a higher NPV. This can help inform the decision-making process when choosing the best fridge model for an individual's needs and budget.