Solve Elevator Problem: Find Motor HP of 1000 kg Lift

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elevator
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the horsepower needed for an elevator with a maximum load of 800 kg and constant friction of 4000 N, to lift at a speed of 2 m/s. The solution involves using the equation W_{motor} + W_{friction} = \Delta E_m = \Delta E_p + \Delta E_k and rearranging it to get P = v(mg - f), resulting in a required horsepower of 36.6hp.
KingNothing
Hey all..here is another stumper (for me).

"A 1000 kg elevator has a maximum load of 800 kg. If constant friction retards the elevator at 4000 N, to lift at 2 m/s, what does the motor's hp(horsepower) have to be?"

Now, I was trying to do a lot of things with this one. I thought it was an obstacle that we had a speed and not a distance. I tried getting around this by simply acknowledging that since we went to go 2 m/s, and since a watt is 1 J/s, that I could just sort of throw the /s off each of them and leave it at 2 m. Prolly totally off.

Any Help?
(My answer was 5.92 hp)

Physics news on Phys.org
Use energies. From point A to a higher point B, the equation looks like this:

[tex]W_{motor} + W_{friction} = \Delta E_m = \Delta E_p + \Delta E_k [/tex]

[tex]Pt - f\Delta h = mg\Delta h + (0)[/tex]

Where P is the power of the motor, t is the time the eleavtor takes to travel the distance from A to B, f is the force of friction and Δh is the distance from A to B. We need to get rid of the time there, so we express it as t = Δh/v, where v is the elevator's constant speed:

[tex]P\frac{\Delta h}{v} + f\Delta h = mg\Delta h[/tex]

Now rearrange the equation, cancel Δh and you get:

[tex]P = v(mg - f)[/tex]

And voila. :smile: I get P = 36.6hp.

Last edited:
I love you Chen.

Related to Solve Elevator Problem: Find Motor HP of 1000 kg Lift

1. How do you determine the motor horsepower needed for a 1000 kg elevator?

In order to find the motor horsepower for a 1000 kg elevator, there are several variables that need to be considered, such as the speed and distance the elevator needs to travel, the weight of the passengers, and the efficiency of the motor. These variables can be calculated using mathematical equations and formulas to determine the appropriate motor horsepower needed.

2. What is the average motor horsepower needed for a 1000 kg elevator?

The average motor horsepower needed for a 1000 kg elevator can vary depending on the specific variables mentioned above. However, on average, a 1000 kg elevator would require a motor horsepower of around 10-15 horsepower.

3. How does the weight of the elevator affect the motor horsepower needed?

The weight of the elevator directly affects the motor horsepower needed because the motor must have enough power to lift the weight of the elevator, as well as any additional weight from passengers and cargo. The heavier the elevator, the more powerful the motor needs to be.

4. Can the motor horsepower be too high for a 1000 kg elevator?

Yes, the motor horsepower can be too high for a 1000 kg elevator. This can lead to unnecessary energy consumption and increased costs. It is important to accurately calculate the required motor horsepower to ensure efficiency and cost-effectiveness.

5. Are there any safety considerations when determining the motor horsepower for an elevator?

Yes, safety is a crucial consideration when determining the motor horsepower for an elevator. The motor must have enough power to safely lift and move the elevator without any malfunctions or accidents. It is important to follow safety regulations and standards when calculating the motor horsepower for an elevator.