Solve Enjoyable Enigmas with Mr.E's Challenge

• Thread starter Enigman
  • Start date
In summary: Four princes approach the king vying for the hand of the princess. In order to choose the best among the four suitors the king and the princess arrange a test: the suitors are brought to a large rectangular hall. The floor is covered with a carpet all over except at the corners- where there are four squares of bare floor and the suitors are told to stand at these corner. Each suitor takes a corner and stands there while the princess stands at the center of the hall. The king then proclaims the prince who without leaving their respective squares shall put a ring on the princess's hand will be declared to be the bridegroom of his daughter and the heir to Enigmania. No ropes or rods are
It may be...logic please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, here's what went through my mind:

3 -2 +5 -11 +24 -44 +61
1 +3 -6 +13 -20 +17
4 -3 +7 -7 -3 +6
1 +4 0 -11 +3
5 +4 -11 +23
9 -7 +12 -25
2 +5 -13 +13
7 -8 0 +14
-1 -8 +14
-9 +6 -15
-3 -9 +16
-11 +5
And so on.

Enigman said:
Next one:
Find the next in series
3,1,4,1,5,9,2,_?
the next is 6 and the one after that is 5.

I spent 20 minutes on it and then (DOH!) realized I should have seen it in a second.

Is there a pattern, zshoe?

zoobyshoe said:
the next is 6 and the one after that is 5.

I spent 20 minutes on it and then (DOH!) realized I should have seen it in a second.

OH YEAH! The answer is 6 its just the expansion of $$\pi$$. I am obsessed with Archimedes...
I thought Gad rounded it off...
:confused:I didn't get her logic at all...
EDIT: Just got it...sooo complicated...no I didn't really get it...:redface:

Doooh!

Heh, when I saw 3, 1, 4 in the start I thought of pi right away. Seems to prove people are sharper in the morning, if it were night time I would have kept staring at it and never found the solution xD

I want another clue about the Sherlock Holmes story.

collinsmark said:
I want another clue about the Sherlock Holmes story.

I wear and tear my socks as I don't change them too often...*
------------------
*true fact.
:biggrin:

Enigman said:
I wear and tear my socks as I don't change them too often...*
------------------
*true fact.

Hmmm. <scratches head> Hmm. Okay, here's what I've been thinking so far.

Holmes knows that Watson's predecessor was the more successful because the other physician's stairs had greater signs of wear and tear than Watson's stairs did.

Watson's staircase seemed comparatively unused: old, as though it must have been there for a very long time, yet such that it hasn't gotten much use either.

The other physician's staircase showed signs of frequent use as multiple re-varnishings, footpaths down the sides of the stairs -- instead of the center, meaning patients were going back and forth at the same time, getting around each other -- and signs of repairs and maintenance of the handrails and whatnot.

Since the other physician's predecessor did a fine job of healing boils, disease and the like, his patients would come back for many repeat visits giving that set of stairs plenty of foot traffic.

Watson's predecessor on the other hand would heal ailment's before they were even symptomatic. Watson's predecessor's patients were rarely ill thus they would rarely need to come into his office for repeat checkups making Watson's predecessor the better physician of the two.

Something along those lines?

Last edited:
It does say the building is wooden - if you walk back and forth on a wooden surface, varnished or not, it eventually starts paling in comparison to its surroundings which gives it the "old" look. However, that alone doesn't explain why Watson's predecessor was more successful in his career. If the other doctor had the funds to continuously renovate and still have his office and its exterior look like it's seen traffic then I would say his turnover was much greater than Watson's predecessor's.
Of course, this raises the question what exactly Holmes's definition of success was.

There has to be something else.. it's Holmesian deduction after all, his deductions were always ironclad.

E: I'm not sure of anything atm, Holmes lives in the 19th century England IIRC he was born in 1850 something according to a story, whose title I can't remember. The time of this doctor business is a bit later than the start of the Industrial revolution in England (1760 or so iirc), which started elevating the population growth so there couldn't be a shortage of clientele. Gah I'm overthinking heavily.

NEVER...BlooDY..MIND...collinsmark should be right - "Wear and tear as I don't change too often." English can sometimes be.. especially when it's not your first language -.- I should always overthink so much when the answer is right before my eyes.

Last edited:
Googled it up 'the stockbroker's clock'...Don't remember the name...Its been 8 years since I completed the canon...
Doyle said:
"Your neighbor is a doctor," said he, nodding at the brass plate.

"Yes; he bought a practice as I did."

"An old-established one?"

"Just the same as mine. Both have been ever since the houses were built."

"Ah! Then you got hold of the best of the two."

"I think I did. But how do you know?"

"By the steps, my boy. Yours are worn three inches deeper than his. But this gentleman in the cab is my client, Mr. Hall Pycroft. Allow me to introduce you to him. Whip your horse up, cabby, for we have only just time to catch our train."
You both are over-thinking things...
No one renovates stairs...not in 19th century- not with a doctor's salary...especially if he's not too succesfull.

Last edited:
Next one (one of the more sillier ones)
In a clock all the hands are exactly placed between numbers 1 and 2. What time is the clock showing?

lendav_rott said:
There has to be something else.. it's Holmesian deduction after all, his deductions were always ironclad.

Mmmm...not really, Holmes did make mistakes as in "Yellow Face" (I think)...

Enigman said:
In a clock all the hands are exactly placed between numbers 1 and 2. What time is the clock showing?
My watch doesn't have a second-counter, although if the hour&minute hands were between 1 or 2 and coinciding then it can only be like 1:05-1:10 am or pm somewhere around that time. Cba to do the math right now.
Wait, exactly placed does mean they are exactly in the same positions in relation to the 12 marker?

They all are at the same position and exactly between number 1 and 2.

Enigman said:
Does the clock have a second hand?

Last edited:
Borg said:
Does the clock have a second hand? If so, I don't think that they can all align exactly.

Oh they can! Remember think out of the box- when you remain inside the box your fate is as uncertain as the cat's...I love opening boxes...<sinister laugh>
Yes it does with reference to your question.

Enigman said:
Oh they can! Remember think out of the box- when you remain inside the box your fate is as uncertain as the cat's...I love opening boxes...<sinister laugh>
Yes it does with reference to your question.
I was thinking of the wrong time when I wrote that but I still think that the time differs based on whether or not it has two or three hands. So which is it? :confused:

Edit: I see that you edited or I missed that you said yes. Three hands it is.

Edited it actually.
Another EDIT: Perhaps actually looking at a clock might help...

The hour hand moves [tex]360^\circ / (12 *60) min = .5 ^\circ / min[/tex]
Similarly, the minute hand moves [tex]360^\circ / 60 min = 6 ^\circ / min[/tex]

If we start at 12, you need to subtract one hour's rotation from the minute hand such that we have the following equations:
[tex]\theta_{hr} = t * .5 ^\circ[/tex]
[tex]\theta_{min} = (t - 60) * 6 ^\circ[/tex]

Solving for t:
[tex] .5t = 6t - 360[/tex]
[tex] t = 360/5.5 = 65.4545 \hspace{2 mm} minutes = 1:05:27[/tex]
When the minute and hour hands align, the second hand would be around 27 seconds.

Borg said:
The hour hand moves [tex]360^\circ / (12 *60) min = .5 ^\circ / min[/tex]
Similarly, the minute hand moves [tex]360^\circ / 60 min = 6 ^\circ / min[/tex]

If we start at 12, you need to subtract one hour's rotation from the minute hand such that we have the following equations:
[tex]\theta_{hr} = t * .5 ^\circ[/tex]
[tex]\theta_{min} = (t - 60) * 6 ^\circ[/tex]

Solving for t:
[tex] .5t = 6t - 360[/tex]
[tex] t = 360/5.5 = 65.4545 \hspace{2 mm} minutes = 1:05:27[/tex]
When the minute and hour hands align, the second hand would be around 27 seconds.
This is a 'silly' puzzle I believe I mentioned. Also at that time all hands will be exactly in the middle of 1 and 2...looking at a clock really might help...
Hint:
no math is involved at all.

On the Holmes enigma:

Had anyone suggested that Watson's office was obviously much better maintained, fresh paint, new stair treads, etc, I would have accepted that as a correct answer, because only a financially successful physician could keep on top of cosmetic considerations. So, if you supposed Holmes might have seen signs of continued life-long upkeep and renovation on Watson's side, that should be accepted as a good answer, despite not being the actual one in the story. I was prepared to accept any answer that made good all around sense.

The one given in the story makes good all around sense and is even more obvious and plausible.

I don't think the one suggested by collinsmark makes a lot of sense, since people tend to abandon doctors who don't cure them quickly and they try elsewhere. Recall I described Watson's predecessor as "successful," "popular," and "sought after."

The wording of these enigmas should help you discern the kind of answer being asked for. In fact, when enigman went through and correctly punched up every single important word, I was pretty sure he'd effectively spoiled the riddle, making the answer too obvious.

Enigman said:

Since you said the answer is "silly," then I'm going to venture the guess that the clock is showing it's time to get a new clock. The gearing in an analog clock is such that the hour hand and minute hand can't possibly both be in the position you suggest at the same time. The clock's gears must be stripped.

1:38? :biggrin::tongue:

Gad said:
1:38? :biggrin::tongue:
nope
zoobyshoe said:
Since you said the answer is "silly," then I'm going to venture the guess that the clock is showing it's time to get a new clock. The gearing in an analog clock is such that the hour hand and minute hand can't possibly both be in the position you suggest at the same time. The clock's gears must be stripped.
Not that silly...just think out of the box...not out of the watch.
Watch is showing a perfectly legitimate time. Seriously, has anyone looked at a nice clock with all 1-12 numbers on the dial after reading the Enigma? I face-palmed myself as soon as I saw one...When I was solving it myself that is.

Lol! NOON!

Gad said:
Lol! NOON!

And Gad Scores the Goaaallll!
Too sleepy to give an Enigma wait till I wake up
:zzz:

Enigman said:
Seriously, has anyone looked at a nice clock with all 1-12 numbers on the dial after reading the Enigma? I face-palmed myself as soon as I saw one...When I was solving it myself that is.
I have two analog clocks right in front of me. I tried cranking the hands on one to the position you require and the gearing will just not allow it. If the hour hand is right between 1 and 2 the minute hand has to be at 6. If the minute hand is between 1 and 2, the hour hand has to be slightly past one, it cannot be exactly between 1 and 2.

Seriously, if you have a clock whose hands can be put in the position you require, it's time to get a new clock.

Enigman said:

If you're accepting this logic you should accept my logic. There are actually two acceptable answers.

zoobyshoe said:
I don't think the one suggested by collinsmark makes a lot of sense, since people tend to abandon doctors who don't cure them quickly and they try elsewhere. Recall I described Watson's predecessor as "successful," "popular," and "sought after."

Sorry about that, but I was unable to resist the temptation to put a twist in the my answer.

It does remind me a riddle (so to speak) based on a true story though.

During WWII, statistician Abraham Wald was asked to help the Allied Forces decide where to add armor to their bombers. After analyzing the records, he recommended adding more armor to the places where there was no damage!

The Air Force was initially confused. Can you explain?​
(This is an easy one to research yourself with a quick Google search. So if you wish to figure it out for yourself, you'll have to stay away from Internet sleuthing.)

collinsmark said:
Sorry about that, but I was unable to resist the temptation to put a twist in the my answer.

It does remind me a riddle (so to speak) based on a true story though.

During WWII, statistician Abraham Wald was asked to help the Allied Forces decide where to add armor to their bombers. After analyzing the records, he recommended adding more armor to the places where there was no damage!

The Air Force was initially confused. Can you explain?​
(This is an easy one to research yourself with a quick Google search. So if you wish to figure it out for yourself, you'll have to stay away from Internet sleuthing.)
Here's my non-googled thinking:

Since his recommendation is counterintuitive on the face of it, we have to wonder why.

I happen to have read a lot of stories about the B-17 bombing raids on Germany out of England. There are a lot of accounts of planes making it back that, never-the-less, look shot to hell. On the other hand, a lot of planes got shot to hell and never returned.

Wald must only have had planes that made it back to examine. He probably concluded that the damaged parts of these planes were not critical. The planes that didn't make it back must have been damaged in places where these planes were undamaged. Those would be the critical areas, the areas that should be reinforced.

Enigman said:

screw English..for real

zoobyshoe said:
Here's my non-googled thinking:

Since his recommendation is counterintuitive on the face of it, we have to wonder why.

I happen to have read a lot of stories about the B-17 bombing raids on Germany out of England. There are a lot of accounts of planes making it back that, never-the-less, look shot to hell. On the other hand, a lot of planes got shot to hell and never returned.

Wald must only have had planes that made it back to examine. He probably concluded that the damaged parts of these planes were not critical. The planes that didn't make it back must have been damaged in places where these planes were undamaged. Those would be the critical areas, the areas that should be reinforced.

Yes, that's the gist of it. :smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Wald

collinsmark said:
Yes, that's the gist of it. :smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Wald

Wow, then he goes and ironically dies in a plane crash.

I wonder if that means Enigman will ironically die in an enigma.