Solve equation using quadratic formula

In summary, the conversation was about a student having trouble solving an equation using the quadratic formula and asking for help in identifying their mistake. The expert suggests using a simpler approach to solve the problem and emphasizes the importance of looking for simple tricks in problem-solving. The student agrees and reiterates their curiosity to know where they went wrong in their initial attempt. The expert confirms that the student wants someone to check their algebra and clarifies that the advice given applies to all math problems.
David23454

Homework Statement

I'm having trouble with solving a certain form of an equation with the quadratic formula. I think I'm making a dumb mistake somewhere with my algebra, but I can't seem to find it.

Solve with quadratic formula: 1/x^2=4/(0.02-x)^2

Homework Equations

1/x^2=4/(0.02-x)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

1/x^2=4/(0.02-x)^2
1/x^2=4/(0.0004-0.04x+x^2)
(1/4)(x^2)(1/x^2)=(1/4)(x^2)(4/(0.0004-0.04x+x^2))
1/4=x^2/(1/(0.0004-0.04x+x^2)
0.25=(x^2/0.0004)-(x^2/0.04x)+(x^2/x^2)
0.25=(2500x^2)-(25x)+1
0=(2500x^2)-(25x)+0.75

When I put this into the quadratic formula, I get an unreal solution, and I know I messed up on my algebra because when I solve the equation like this:

1/x^2=4/(0.02-x)^2 (Cross multiply)
0.0004-0.04x+x^2=4x^2
3x^2+0.04x-0.0004=0

...I get the correct answer, which is (0.00667, -0.02). Could someone show me where I made my mistake? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the fourth line you have removed the factor (1/4) from the right side but not from the left.

Was it specified that you had to solve this problem using the quadratic formula?

Sorry! I copied it down wrong--with the four canceled it does give the equation 0=(2500x^2)-(25x)+0.75 which doesn't work in the quadratic formula.

1/x^2=4/(0.02-x)^2
1/4=x^2/(1/(0.0004-0.04x+x^2)
0.25=(x^2/0.0004)-(x^2/0.04x)+(x^2/x^2)
0.25=(2500x^2)-(25x)+1
0=(2500x^2)-(25x)+0.75

Any idea where I went wrong?

No, but I wanted to see what I did wrong with the equation to find out what I did wrong with my algebra so I don't make the same mistake again later.

David23454 said:
No, but I wanted to see what I did wrong with the quadratic equation solution, to find out what I did wrong with my algebra so I don't make the same mistake again later.
If I take the reciprocal of both sides of the equation, I get:
$$x^2=\frac{(0.02-x)^2}{4}$$What do you get if you take the square root of both sides of this equation?

Chestermiller said:
If I take the reciprocal of both sides of the equation, I get:
$$x^2=\frac{(0.02-x)^2}{4}$$What do you get if you take the square root of both sides of this equation?

x=0.00667, which is correct. I had figured out the correct answer already, but I was just curious about what I did wrong in the other method, just so I could know where my algebra knowledge was lacking, to avoid future mistakes.

$$x^2=\frac{(0.02-x)^2}{4}$$
Taking the square root of both sides, one obtains:$$x=\pm \frac{(0.02-x)}{2}$$or equivalently:
$$x=+ \frac{(0.02-x)}{2}\tag{1}$$
and
$$x=- \frac{(0.02-x)}{2}\tag{2}$$Eqns. 1 and 2 represent very simple linear algebraic equations for x. The solution to Eqn. 1 is ##x=0.00667##. The solution to Eqn. 2 is ##x=-0.02##.

The key learning from all this is that sometimes it is worthwhile to look for a simple "trick" to solve a problem, rather than always trying to solve problems by brute force.

Chestermiller said:
The key learning from all this is that sometimes it is worthwhile to look for a simple "trick" to solve a problem, rather than always trying to solve problems by brute force.

I understand this, but as I mentioned in the first post, I already had found the correct solution, but I wanted to know where I went wrong initially with my algebra in the process I used, so I could pinpoint what I had done wrong to avoid doing so again in the future.

David23454 said:
I understand this, but as I mentioned in the first post, I already had found the correct solution, but I wanted to know where I went wrong initially with my algebra in the process I used, so I could pinpoint what I had done wrong to avoid doing so again in the future.
I realize that, but my point was that it often makes life much easier on you if you look for simple tricks to solve problems. This concept does not just apply to this particular problem. My objective was to change your way of thinking about how to approach problems. The present problem is merely incidental to this concept.

Likes David23454
Ok, I understand your point, and I'll certainly use the method you demonstrated to solve similar problems in the future, but I'm still very curious as to what I did wrong in my attempt.

David23454 said:
Ok, I understand your point, and I'll certainly use the method you demonstrated to solve similar problems in the future, but I'm still very curious as to what I did wrong in my attempt.
You want someone to check your algebra, correct?

yes

David23454 said:
I wasn't only referring to "similar problems." I was referring to all math problems you encounter.

David23454 said:
yes
I'll let someone else help you with that. It goes against every fiber of my being to solve a problem by brute force.

David23454 said:
Sorry! I copied it down wrong--with the four canceled it does give the equation 0=(2500x^2)-(25x)+0.75 which doesn't work in the quadratic formula.

1/x^2=4/(0.02-x)^2
1/4=x^2 / (1/(0.0004-0.04x+x^2)
that red slash should not be there.

The line following that is also wrong. 1/(a+b+c) is not equal to 1/a + 1/b + 1/c.

Likes David23454

1. How do I know when to use the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is used when solving equations that are in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is especially useful when the equation cannot be easily factored.

2. What is the general form of the quadratic formula?

The general form of the quadratic formula is x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. This formula can be used to find the solutions for any quadratic equation.

3. Can the quadratic formula only be used for real numbers?

No, the quadratic formula can be used for any type of number, including real, complex, and irrational numbers. However, if the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) is negative, the solutions will be complex numbers.

4. How do I solve an equation using the quadratic formula?

To solve an equation using the quadratic formula, first identify the values of a, b, and c from the given equation. Then, plug these values into the formula and simplify to find the solutions for x.

5. Are there any special cases when using the quadratic formula?

Yes, there are a few special cases to keep in mind when using the quadratic formula. If the value of a is 0, the equation becomes linear and the quadratic formula cannot be used. Additionally, if the discriminant is 0, the equation will have one real solution, and if the discriminant is negative, the equation will have no real solutions.