Solve my Mechanical Motion Puzzle: 18in(7lbs)

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a formula to calculate the required torque for a machine that can lift an object from a flat position to 90 degrees vertical and back down softly. The formula involves considering the weight of the object, the length of the object, and the angle of elevation. The conversation also touches on the longevity of the system and the importance of carefully considering the options for the mechanism. The application of the machine is not specified, but it involves a horizontal object with uniform weight that needs to be lifted.
around86
Homework Statement
I am trying to figure out the formula to help me build something
Relevant Equations
I want to know how to solve: What is the power or torque required to lift an 18 inch long object, that is 6-8 pounds, from an anchored end.
I am at my wits end with trying to find this formula. So far all I've gotten is I need to figure out mechanical power, maybe torque? I can't figure out the formula for this motion as it is like negative leverage. I want to build a machine that can do this thousands of times so I also need to figure the longevity of the motor's power required. My degree is in hospitality management, and the only math or physics classes I could really push my limits in is finance. I am trying to learn, and am starting to hit a wall. If anyone has any idea where I can look to find this information I would greatly appreciate it. 18 inches(7lbs) from flat position to 90 degrees vertical, and back down softly.

***my previous post on this was my hasty attempt at solving my headache without reading the forum rules and I apologize for breaching. Thank you
motorquestion.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In its initial position, the arm exerts a torque about the axis. Can you calculate that? That is the torque your motor needs to exceed in order to lift the arm. Once it starts to rise the required torque will decrease, so the arm will accelerate. You may need some way to ease off the motor to avoid coming to a violent stop at the top.

The longevity of the system will depend on what wears out and why. You will need the motor's specs.

Likes Lnewqban
Thanks @haruspex! I have been trying to find the formula to calculate reqd torque with the length of the object causing greater resistance at first. I believe I will be able to program torque speed by rotation, but I am not sure how to get the first part

around86 said:
Thanks @haruspex! I have been trying to find the formula to calculate reqd torque with the length of the object causing greater resistance at first. I believe I will be able to program torque speed by rotation, but I am not sure how to get the first part
Draw a force diagram for the arm. Where does its weight act? How far is that from the axis? So what is the torque the weight exerts about the axis?

Likes Lnewqban
around86 said:
Homework Statement:: I am trying to figure out the formula to help me build something

The worst condition is the horizontal position, as explained above.
That torque equals the weight times half the length of the door.
Applying a motor torque directly to the axis of rotation creates the problem of a robust key or other type of shaft-door joint.

Normally, another type of linkage located away from the axis allows for a lighter mechanism.
For that reason, it is important to carefully think about the options that actual conditions allow to your problem.

Welcome to PF @around86 !

I'm going to assume that your post is accurate and this is not Homework. That said, I'm going to break the Homework rules a bit and try to answer your question.

You may have run across the term "Center of Mass" (CM), also called "Center-of-Gravity" (COG). That is the point in an object where its Mass (or weight) can assumed to be concentrated so that calculations are easier. If that horizontal thing you want to rotate has uniform weight along its length, then the CM is in the center. For your 18" object, that puts the CM at 9" from the pivot.

So for an 8 pound mass at 9" from the pivot, the torque needed to support it would be 8 x 9 = 72lb.in. Note that this is the torque to support it; if you want to get it moving you will need a little bit more torque to overcome the inertia.

Now to address the torque variation over the rotation angle:
Obviously the torque will be maximum at the horizontal position. Just multiply that 72in.lb by Cos(α), where α is the angle from horizontal. For instance at 30° elevation Cos(30) = 0.866. So multiply 72 x 0.866 = 62.4lb.in.

Additional torque is needed to get it moving, or to slow it down at the top of travel. How much additional depends on what acceleration is desired, i.e. how quickly you what it to reach a given speed. That I'll leave to others here who know that stuff by heart, I would have to look it it up, somewhere! :oldwink:

edit: added "COG" definition

Have Fun!

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. you've got me curious. can you tells us the application without giving away any secrets?

Last edited:

1. How do I solve the mechanical motion puzzle?

To solve the mechanical motion puzzle, you will need to use critical thinking skills and carefully examine the puzzle's components. Start by identifying any movable parts and their possible functions. Then, try manipulating the parts in different ways to see how they interact with each other.

2. What is the size and weight of the puzzle?

The mechanical motion puzzle is 18 inches in size and weighs 7 pounds. This information can be helpful in determining the level of difficulty and the amount of force needed to manipulate the puzzle's components.

3. Are there any tips for solving the puzzle?

One tip for solving the mechanical motion puzzle is to take your time and carefully observe the movements of the puzzle's components. Another tip is to keep track of any successful manipulations and patterns that may emerge, as this can lead to a solution.

4. Is there a specific strategy for solving the puzzle?

There is no specific strategy for solving the mechanical motion puzzle, as it requires a combination of logic and experimentation. However, some people may find it helpful to start by manipulating the larger or more visible parts of the puzzle first.

5. How long does it typically take to solve the puzzle?

The time it takes to solve the mechanical motion puzzle can vary greatly depending on individual skills and strategies. Some people may solve it quickly, while others may take longer. It is important to stay patient and persistent when attempting to solve the puzzle.