Solve ODE: (x^2+2)y'''-(x^2+2x+2)y''+2(x+1)y'-2y=0

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with solving a new differential equation. They have attempted to use matrices but found it difficult to compute. The other person suggests trying to find simple functions, such as exponential and polynomial solutions. They also mention a pattern in the equation that could suggest a clever substitution.
GodsmacK
Hello again,

I've got another trouble with a new differential equation:

[itex](x^2+2)y'''-(x^2+2x+2)y''+2(x+1)y'-2y=0[/itex]

I did a try using matrices(file is attached), however the system to be solved is hard to compute.
image.jpg

Do you have any idea to help me solve this out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since it is probably a training exercise, the result can certainly be expressed with elementary functions. So, before using more complicated approachs, one can try to find some convenient very simple functions.
One first idea is to try exponential. The form of the coefficients in the ODE draw to check and observe that ex is a particular solution.
An other idea is to try polynomials. Trying first order polynomials is not succesfull. Then, trying second order polynomials, on the form y=x2+bx+c leads too two particular solutions : y=x2-2 and y=x2+2x. Now we have three indepêndant particular solutions. So the general solution is :
y=c1 ex + c2 (x2-2) + c3 (x2+2x)

There is a pattern to the ODE that suggests a clever substitution. How does the polynomial multiplying the third derivative differ from the polynomial multiplying the second derivative? Whats different between the polynomials multiplying the second and first derivative?

Related to Solve ODE: (x^2+2)y'''-(x^2+2x+2)y''+2(x+1)y'-2y=0

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its derivatives. It is used to describe how a function changes over time.

2. What does "solve" mean in this context?

In this context, "solve" means to find a function that satisfies the given ODE. This function is called the solution to the ODE.

3. How do I solve this ODE?

To solve this particular ODE, you can use various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or the method of undetermined coefficients. The exact method will depend on the specific form of the ODE.

4. What are the initial conditions for this ODE?

To fully solve an ODE, you will need to know the initial conditions, which are the values of the function and its derivatives at a specific point. Without these conditions, you will only be able to find a general solution to the ODE.

5. Can I use a computer to solve this ODE?

Yes, there are various software programs and coding languages that can solve ODEs numerically. However, it is important to understand the underlying mathematical concepts before relying solely on computer solutions.