Solve Potential & Energy Problems in Homework

• Thread starter clairez93
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary, the first problem asks for the potential at the center of a circle with three charges placed on the circumference. The answer is 9V. For the second problem, the electrostatic energy stored in a conducting sphere carrying a net charge Q is given by U = qV, where V is the potential due to the charge q at a distance r from the center. This can be approximated by adding up the energy required to assemble the sphere one bit at a time, which leads to U = kQ^2/2R.
clairez93

Homework Statement

2. The potential at the center of a circle of radius 90 cm with three charges of +1 nC, -2 nC, and +2 nC placed 120 degrees apart on the circumference is:
a) 8.0 V
b) 12
c) 16
d) 9
Answer: d
6. The electrostatic energy stored in the electric field around a conducting sphere of radius R carrying a net charge of Q is:

a)[tex] kQ^{2} / 2R [/tex]
b)[tex] kQ^{2} / 4R [/tex]
c)[tex] kQ^{2} / 2R^{2} [/tex]
d) [tex]kQ^{2} / 4R^{3} [/tex]
Answer: a

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

2) [tex] V = \frac{k}{0.9}*10^{-9}*(1-2+2) = 10 V[/tex]
That obviously doesn't agree with the answer.

6) I was thinking of doing U = qV, and then using kq/r for the potential of a sphere, except then I don't have a point charge to multiply by. If i multiply by q, I just get kq^2 / r, which isn't the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, I'm not sure what's going on. My calculations seem to agree with yours. Maybe it's one of those "pick the closest answer" things? (Or maybe whoever made up the question is really bad at rounding)

For the second one, [itex]U = qV[/itex] applies to the case where you're moving a single point charge (q) through an existing potential difference. That's not really what you're dealing with here. However, you could consider assembling this sphere of charge one bit at a time. Roughly speaking, the first bit q takes no energy (because there's no existing potential), the second bit takes [itex]U = qV = q\cdot kq/r[/itex], the third bit takes [itex]U = qV = q\cdot 2kq/r[/itex], etc. If you add up all these energy contributions and extrapolate to the total amount required to build up a charge Q, you'll find how much energy is involved in creating the sphere, which is the same amount of energy stored in its electric field (since there's nowhere else for that energy to go).

diazona said:
For the first one, I'm not sure what's going on. My calculations seem to agree with yours. Maybe it's one of those "pick the closest answer" things? (Or maybe whoever made up the question is really bad at rounding)

For the second one, [itex]U = qV[/itex] applies to the case where you're moving a single point charge (q) through an existing potential difference. That's not really what you're dealing with here. However, you could consider assembling this sphere of charge one bit at a time. Roughly speaking, the first bit q takes no energy (because there's no existing potential), the second bit takes [itex]U = qV = q\cdot kq/r[/itex], the third bit takes [itex]U = qV = q\cdot 2kq/r[/itex], etc. If you add up all these energy contributions and extrapolate to the total amount required to build up a charge Q, you'll find how much energy is involved in creating the sphere, which is the same amount of energy stored in its electric field (since there's nowhere else for that energy to go).

So I'm guessing this will involve an integral of sorts. Would I integrate the little bits of potential energy? So like the integral of V * q?

Related to Solve Potential & Energy Problems in Homework

1. How do I determine the potential energy of an object?

To determine the potential energy of an object, you need to know its mass, height, and the force of gravity acting on it. The formula for potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height.

2. What is the difference between potential and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa.

3. How do I solve for the work done by a force on an object?

The work done by a force on an object is equal to the force applied multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The formula for work is W = Fd. Make sure to use consistent units, such as Newtons for force and meters for distance.

4. Can potential energy be negative?

Yes, potential energy can be negative. This typically occurs when the reference point for measuring potential energy is below the object, such as in the case of a roller coaster at the bottom of a hill. Negative potential energy means that the object has less energy than it would at the chosen reference point.

5. How do I apply the conservation of energy principle to solve problems?

The conservation of energy principle states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. To apply this to solving problems, you need to identify all the forms of energy involved and determine how they are changing. The total energy of the system should remain constant.