Solve PV Module Problem: Find I,V,P for 3 Conditions

In summary, the problem involves a PV module with 40 cells in series and a 5 ohm load. The current, voltage, and power need to be solved for three conditions: full sunlight, 1 cell shaded, and 2 cells shaded. When 1 cell is shaded, it acts as a 5 ohm resistor due to the absence of light, and this resistance depends on the physical dimensions of the cell. This is why the PV module must be protected by a bypass diode.
Jason03
Im working on a problem that involves a PV module consisting of 40 cells each at .5 volts. The problem models the module as having all 40 cells in series. The PV module is connected to a 5 ohm load. The problem also says to assume that the same current and voltage flows through the PV module and load. So solve for I, V, and P.

I just need to find the current, power, and voltage for 3 conditions.

a) when in full sunlight

b) when 1 cell is in shade

c) when 2 cells are in shade.

my question is:

I know the voltage to be 20 volts in full sunlight and 19.5 volts when 1 cell is in shade...so when 1 cell is in shade I noticed the book saying that one .5 volt cell will now act as a 5 ohm reisistor...is this true...and why?

and if that is the case for 1 cell in the shade would I have a total of 10 ohms resistance to calculate the current flowing?

Physics news on Phys.org
any ideas?...I can understand a cell not functioning acting as a resistor...but why 5 ohms?

Jason03 said:
any ideas?...I can understand a cell not functioning acting as a resistor...but why 5 ohms?

I would guess it is because that's what someone measured when they shaded an individual cell. Silicon is a semiconductor, so with no light falling on the cell, it turns into a resistor. That resistance will depend on the physical dimensions of the cell.

its true , for this case the PV module must protect it by bypass diode

1. What is a PV module?

A PV module, also known as a solar panel, is a device that converts sunlight into electricity using photovoltaic cells.

2. What does it mean to "solve" a PV module problem?

Solving a PV module problem involves using mathematical equations and calculations to determine the current (I), voltage (V), and power (P) output of the module under different conditions.

3. What are the 3 conditions used to solve a PV module problem?

The 3 conditions used are the irradiance (amount of sunlight), temperature, and load (electrical resistance) placed on the module.

4. How do I find the I,V,P for a PV module?

To find the I,V,P for a PV module, you will need to use the mathematical equations that relate these values to the 3 conditions mentioned above. These equations can be found in textbooks or online resources.

5. Why is it important to solve PV module problems?

Solving PV module problems is important because it allows us to understand and predict the performance of solar panels under different conditions. This information is crucial for designing efficient and reliable solar energy systems.