Solve Recurrence Relation: a_{n+2}+3a_{n+1}+2a_n=3

In summary, the recurrence relation is solved by finding the characteristic equation and homogeneous and particular solutions. The final solution is a_n=(-1/20)(-2)^n+(-3/4)n(-1)^n+\frac{3^n}{20}.
k3N70n
[SOLVED] Recurrence Relation

Homework Statement

Solve the recurrence relation
[tex]a_{n+2}+3a_{n+1}+2a_n=3[/tex]

Homework Equations

add the homogeneous solution to the particular solution

The Attempt at a Solution

Characteristic: [itex]s^2+3s+2=0 \Rightarrow x=-2,-1[/itex]

Homogeneous: [itex]a_n=A(-2)^n+Bn(-1)^n[/itex]

(*here is where I'm not sure if I've gone wrong. Should it be
[itex]a_n=A(-1)^n+Bn(-2)^n[/itex] instead? How would I know?*)
anyway, not sure I've right up to here but onwards->

Particular: [itex]a_n=C3^n[/itex]

then [tex]C3^{n+2}+3C3^{n+1}+2C3^n=3^n[/tex]

letting n=0 yeilds[tex]a_n=\frac{3^n}{20}[/tex] for the particular solution

then the solution is [tex]a_n=A(-2)^n+Bn(-1)^n+\frac{3^n}{20}[/tex]

solving for A and B I got A=-1/20 and B=-3/4 and putting it all together seemed to give me nonsense.

Anyway, as you can probably see I'm not really understanding what's happening here. I would really appreciate nudge in the right direction.

Thank you kindly for you time
-kentt

Physics news on Phys.org
SOLUTION:Characteristic: s^2+3s+2=0 \Rightarrow x=-2,-1Homogeneous: a_n=A(-2)^n+Bn(-1)^nParticular: a_n=C3^nthen C3^{n+2}+3C3^{n+1}+2C3^n=3^nletting n=0 yeildsa_n=\frac{3^n}{20} for the particular solutionthen the solution is a_n=A(-2)^n+Bn(-1)^n+\frac{3^n}{20}solving for A and B I got A=-1/20 and B=-3/4 so the final solution is a_n=(-1/20)(-2)^n+(-3/4)n(-1)^n+\frac{3^n}{20}

Related to Solve Recurrence Relation: a_{n+2}+3a_{n+1}+2a_n=3

1. What is a recurrence relation?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that defines a sequence of numbers by relating each term to one or more previous terms in the sequence. It is commonly used in mathematical modeling and analysis.

2. How do you solve a recurrence relation?

To solve a recurrence relation, you need to find a closed-form solution, which is a formula that directly calculates the value of any term in the sequence without having to know the previous terms. This can be done by using various methods such as substitution, iteration, and generating functions.

3. What is the general solution to this specific recurrence relation?

The general solution to this recurrence relation is a_n = c_1 * (-1)^n + c_2 * 2^n + 1, where c_1 and c_2 are constants determined by the initial conditions of the sequence. This can be derived by using the characteristic equation method.

4. How do you determine the initial conditions for a recurrence relation?

The initial conditions of a recurrence relation are the first terms in the sequence, which are needed to find the values of the constants in the general solution. In this case, we would need the values of a_0 and a_1 to fully determine the sequence.

5. What is the significance of solving recurrence relations?

Solving recurrence relations allows us to understand and predict the behavior of a sequence of numbers, which can have applications in various fields such as computer science, economics, and physics. It also helps in analyzing the efficiency of algorithms and understanding the time complexity of certain problems.