Solve Relativity Problem: Photon & Proton Parallel Travel

• Thread starter dingo_d
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the problem is calculating the distance a photon and proton travel in one year, with the proton traveling at a speed of 0.485c. The solution involves simply calculating the distance traveled by each and subtracting them, as relativity does not play a factor in measurements taken by a stationary observer. The distance traveled by the photon is 1 light year, or 9.4*10^15 m, and the distance traveled by the proton is ~4*10^15 m. Therefore, the proton will be 5.4*10^15 m behind the photon. Lorentz transformations are not needed for this problem.
dingo_d

Homework Statement

A photon and a proton with the speed v=0.485c, start to travel parallel to each other in the same direction. After one year, how much is proton behind the photon?

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem that I'm facing is, do I need to include Lorentz transformations into this, or just simply calculate the distance traveled by photon and proton, and subtract them?

Because that seems kinda too easy.

I would go with this:

I am looking at them from one point, and they go with their respective speeds in one direction parallel to each other. Since the photon travels at the speed of light, after one year it will travel s=c*1 yr = 1 light year =9.4*10^15 m.

But the proton that travels at roughly 0.5c, from my point of view will travel s= vt/gamma, right? That is ~ 4*10^15 m.

So the proton will be 5.4*10^15 m behind the photon.

Am I correct in this reasoning or?

I appreciate the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi dingo_d! :wink:
dingo_d said:
… do I need to include Lorentz transformations into this, or just simply calculate the distance traveled by photon and proton, and subtract them?

Because that seems kinda too easy.

relativity has nothing to do with it

everything is measured by the same (stationary) observer

s = vt :smile:

Oh, so that's kinda the trick question :D

Related to Solve Relativity Problem: Photon & Proton Parallel Travel

1. How does relativity affect the travel of photons and protons?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, both photons and protons are affected by the curvature of spacetime. This means that the path of their travel can be altered by the presence of massive objects, such as planets or stars.

2. Can photons and protons travel in parallel?

Yes, both photons and protons can travel in parallel if they are moving at the same speed and in the same direction. However, if they are moving at different speeds or in different directions, their paths will not be parallel due to the effects of relativity.

3. Why is it important to consider relativity when studying the travel of photons and protons?

Relativity is important to consider because it explains the behavior of objects in the universe, including the travel of photons and protons. Without taking relativity into account, our understanding of how these particles move would be incomplete.

4. How does the speed of light factor into the travel of photons and protons?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in the universe, and it plays a crucial role in the travel of both photons and protons. In fact, photons are massless particles that always travel at the speed of light, while protons have mass and can never reach the speed of light.

5. Can the travel of photons and protons be affected by factors other than relativity?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the travel of photons and protons, such as gravity, electric and magnetic fields, and collisions with other particles. However, relativity is the most significant factor in explaining the behavior of these particles in the universe.