Solve Rotational Motion: Distance and Time

In summary, the problem involves a wheel with a diameter of 1 meter rotating at 100 revolutions per minute without slipping along a road. After passing mile marker 0 at 12:00 noon, it continues for 10 minutes and then undergoes an angular acceleration of 2.5*10^-2 radians per second^2 for 90 seconds. It then rolls for 1 hour and undergoes a deceleration of 1.5*10^-2 radians per second^2 until it stops. The wheel travels a distance of 3.1459 km in the initial 10 minutes and 50.625 meters during the 90 seconds of acceleration. The final distance travelled can be calculated by integrating the angular velocity
ataglance05
ROTATIONAL MOTION not circular; sorry

Homework Statement

A wheel 1 meter in diameter (radius 0.5 m) is rotating at 100 revolutions per minute without slipping along a level stretch of road and passes mile marker 0 at 12:00 noon. It contunes past mile marker 0 for 10 minutes and then has a period of angular acceleration of 2.5*10^-2 radians per second^2 for a period of 90 seconds. After the 90 sec acceleration period, the wheel rolls on for 1 hour. At the end of the hour the wheel undergoes a deceleration of 1.5*10^-2 radians per sec^2 until it stops.

How far is the wheel in km from mile marker 0? What time is it when it stops?

Homework Equations

I believe...
circularmotion2.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

What I'm trying to do is get the distance for each time the acceleration changes.

So, below is how far it went in 10 minutes before its acceleration of 2.5810^-2 radians/sec^2:

100 revs=200(pi) radians/60sec * 600sec=
=10.47 * 600sec
=6.283*10^3 rads/10 min

S=(theta)(r)
S=(6.283*10^3 rads/10 min)(0.5m)
S=3141.5927 m or 3.1459 km

I have no clue what to do after that. I think I should continue on with trying to get the distance it went when it accelerates for 90 seconds, but I have no clue how to implement that acceleration to affect the distance travelled?

Please help! Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the last of the 3 relevant equations that you listed. Solve for the w(t) throughout the different regions, and integrate that to get your distances.

when you say i have to solve for w(t), are you saying that Wf (the final angular velocity) is zero?? and is Wo positive...or negative since it changed sides? or should I be looking for just W and not Wo in the equation W=Wo+(alpha)(t)??

would this be the solution for the distance traveled during the 90 sec acceleration period...? (I made Wo be negative)

Wf=Wo+(alpha)(t)
-Wo=2.5*10^-2(90sec)
wo=-.0225

so then...
theta=Wo(T)+1/2(alpha)(T)^2
theta=-.0225 rads/sec(90sec)+1/2(2.5*10^-2 rads/sec)(90)^2
theta=101.25

so...
S=theta(r)
S=101.25(.5)
S=50.625 meters

am i on the right track?

Last edited:

Related to Solve Rotational Motion: Distance and Time

1. How do you calculate rotational distance?

To calculate rotational distance, you need to know the radius of the rotating object and the angle through which it has rotated. The formula for rotational distance is distance = radius x angle.

2. What is the relationship between rotational distance and time?

The relationship between rotational distance and time is that the distance covered by a rotating object in a certain amount of time is directly proportional to its rotational speed. This means that the faster the object rotates, the greater the distance it covers in a given amount of time.

3. How do you convert rotational distance to linear distance?

To convert rotational distance to linear distance, you need to know the circumference of the rotating object. The formula for this conversion is linear distance = rotational distance x circumference.

4. What is the difference between tangential speed and rotational speed?

Tangential speed refers to the linear speed at which a point on a rotating object moves, while rotational speed refers to the number of rotations or revolutions per unit time. Tangential speed is measured in units of distance per time (such as meters per second), while rotational speed is measured in units of revolutions or rotations per time (such as rotations per minute).

5. How does rotational distance affect the force required to rotate an object?

The greater the rotational distance, the greater the force required to rotate an object. This is because a larger distance means a larger arc or angle through which the object must rotate, requiring more force to overcome the inertia and resistance of the object.