Solve Schrödinger Eq Problem: Normalizing Radial Wavefunction

• Thread starter drullanorull
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Schrödinger
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of normalizing the radial wavefunction to 1 and the role of constants in the integral. The expert explains that pulling out the constants and normalizing again would result in the wrong constant and an un-normalized function. They also highlight the importance of normalizing to 1 in order to obtain sensible probabilities.
drullanorull
The problem is the picture below. The thing I don't understand, since I also have the solution, is the fact that the "radial wavefunction is normalized to 1". And all the constants before it aswell. Why can't I move out the constants in front of the integral, normalize it and then get a competely different answear? And why shall this only equal to 1?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2982.jpg
    IMG_2982.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 438
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if I understand your question correctly, but I'll try to answer what I think your asking.

Just because you can pull the normalization constant out of the integral, does not mean it is now separate from the probability function or that you can just drop it. It is still there. You can't just normalize the radial function again. Doing that would then give you the wrong constant (since now you would have two normalization constants multiplied together) and the function would no longer be normalized to one. You would be effectively "un-normalizing" the function. Does this address your first question?

In regards to your second question,

[tex]\int_{allspace}\psi^*\psi d\nu = 1[/tex]

because [itex]\psi^* \psi[/itex] is a probability density and the integral gives a probability. For instance, if this integral was equal to 2, we would be saying that the particle has a 200% chance of being found anywhere. This makes no sense. The particles chance of being found "anywhere" has to be 100%. (It has be somewhere, right?) So, this is why we have to normalize our probability densities to 1. If we don't we get nonsense probabilities as answers.

Related to Solve Schrödinger Eq Problem: Normalizing Radial Wavefunction

1. What is the Schrödinger Equation?

The Schrödinger Equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of a quantum system over time. It is used to calculate the wavefunction of a particle and to determine its energy and other physical properties.

2. What does it mean to "solve" the Schrödinger Equation?

Solving the Schrödinger Equation involves finding the wavefunction that describes the behavior of a quantum system. This wavefunction is a mathematical function that contains all the information about the system, such as its position, momentum, and energy.

3. What does it mean to "normalize" a radial wavefunction?

Normalizing a wavefunction means ensuring that its total probability is equal to 1. In the case of a radial wavefunction, this means that the probability of finding the particle at any point in space is equal to 1. This is important in quantum mechanics as it ensures that the results of calculations are physically meaningful.

4. How is the Schrödinger Equation normalized?

The Schrödinger Equation is normalized by applying the condition that the integral of the square of the wavefunction over all space is equal to 1. This means that the wavefunction must be square-integrable, and its total probability must be equal to 1.

5. Why is it important to normalize the Schrödinger Equation?

Normalizing the Schrödinger Equation is important because it ensures that the results of calculations are physically meaningful. If the wavefunction is not normalized, the calculated probabilities may be incorrect, leading to incorrect predictions about the behavior of the quantum system.