Solve Sequences & Series Homework: Find k for (6+3n)^-7

In summary: So the limit is 0.yes, 0.In summary, the conversation is about finding a number k for a given sequence a_n such that the limit of n^k a_n is finite and non-zero. The method used is to factor out n to create n^k and then find the limit of what is left over. This is applied to the specific sequence a_n= (6+3n)^-7 and it is found that k=7 works. The conversation also briefly mentions a similar problem with a_n= 7/(n^3+n) where k=-7 would work.
cathy

Homework Statement

So, I actually have a bunch of these problems and I cannot do any of them. I don't think I'm really understanding it. Here is the question: (one of them) The way I wrote them, a_n means a sub n

For each sequence a_n find a number k such that n^k a_n
has a finite non-zero limit.
(This is of use, because by the limit comparison test the series ∑from 1 to infinity (a_n) and ∑from 1 to infinity (n^-k) both converge or both diverge.)

The question:
a_n= (6+3n)^-7
What does k equal?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm actually 100% lost on this problem. I don't even know where to start :(
Here's my attempt. It may not make any sense because I don't understand this. But here it is:
(6+3n)^-7>0
1/(6+3n)^7>0
1>0
Ans: 1
But that is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
cathy said:

Homework Statement

So, I actually have a bunch of these problems and I cannot do any of them. I don't think I'm really understanding it. Here is the question: (one of them) The way I wrote them, a_n means a sub n

For each sequence a_n find a number k such that n^k a_n
has a finite non-zero limit.
(This is of use, because by the limit comparison test the series ∑from 1 to infinity (a_n) and ∑from 1 to infinity (n^-k) both converge or both diverge.)

The question:
a_n= (6+3n)^-7
What does k equal?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm actually 100% lost on this problem. I don't even know where to start :(
Here's my attempt. It may not make any sense because I don't understand this. But here it is:
(6+3n)^-7>0
1/(6+3n)^7>0
1>0
Ans: 1
But that is incorrect.

Here's a hint. (6+3n)=n(6/n+3). Try and do something with that.

Would you mind explaining the meaning? How would I find k from it?

cathy said:
Would you mind explaining the meaning? How would I find k from it?

Ok, so (6+3n)^(-7)=(n(6/n+3))^(-7)=n^(-7)*(6/n+3)^(-7). What's the limit n->infinity of (6/n+3)^(-7)?

isn't it infinity?

cathy said:
isn't it infinity?

I don't think so. Why do you? What's limit 6/n as n->infinity?

because isn't it the same as saying ((n+3)/6)^7 so as n approaches infinity, it approaches infinity?

but how would doing that help me find what k is?

cathy said:
because isn't it the same as saying ((n+3)/6)^7 so as n approaches infinity, it approaches infinity?

No, it isn't. ((6/n)+3)^(-7)=1/((6/n)+3)^7. It's not 6/(n+3). It's (6/n)+3. They are very different.

and using this new limit (6/n)+3, how would it lead me to solve for k?

cathy said:
and using this new limit (6/n)+3, how would it lead me to solve for k?

I think you should stop asking that until you do the algebra correctly and tell me what limit n->infinity ((6/n)+3) is. Then take a breath and think about it.

the limit is 3 because the 6/n goes to 0

cathy said:
the limit is 3 because the 6/n goes to 0

Ok, so what's limit ((6/n)+3)^(-7). Have you thought about what that might mean for your question of what k is?

1/3^7= 1/2187.
I still don't know where k comes into play.

Is k 7?

Dick said:
Here's a hint. (6+3n)=n(6/n+3). Try and do something with that.
Where did you get the n(6/n+3) here? Why was it necessary to factor out the n?

cathy said:
Is k 7?

Ok, so (6+3n)^(-7)=(n(6/n+3))^(-7)=n^(-7)*(6/n+3)^(-7). As n->infinity (6/n+3)^(-7)->1/3^7. Does it make sense to you that k=7 works??

cathy said:
Where did you get the n(6/n+3) here? Why was it necessary to factor out the n?

Because you want the series to look like n^(-k) times something that approaches a nonzero constant. It's a good idea to factor out the n and see what's left.

yes it does. so just to recap, i had to factor out an n to create the n^k? what if n were in the demonimator instead?

cathy said:
yes it does. so just to recap, i had to factor out an n to create the n^k? what if n were in the demonimator instead?

Then you would factor out a 1/n^(k)=n^(-k). It just changes the sign of k. Doesn't it?

i have a problem that says 7/(n^3+n) you don't have to solve this, but i just want to know, would i have to factor out n? and i would have 7n^-3?

cathy said:
i have a problem that says 7/(n^3+n) you don't have to solve this, but i just want to know, would i have to factor out n? and i would have 7n^-3?

That will work. What's the limit of what's left after you factor that out?

is it 0?

cathy said:
is it 0?

Is that a guess? What's left over after you factor 7n^(-3)) out? Mind your algebra.

1/n^4

cathy said:
1/n^4

(7/n^3)*(1/n^4) is not equal to 7/(n^3+n). Do algebra, ok?

What is a sequence and series?

A sequence is a list of numbers in a specific order, while a series is the sum of a sequence.

How do I find the value of k for (6+3n)^-7?

To find the value of k, you need to use the formula k = a(n+1)^b - a(n)^b, where a is the first term, n is the term number, and b is the common difference. In the given sequence, a=6, b=3, and n is the term number that you need to solve for. Once you find the value of n, you can plug it back into the original equation to find the value of k.

What is the purpose of finding k in this equation?

Finding k allows us to determine the general term of the sequence and series. This means we can easily find any term in the sequence or the sum of any number of terms in the series.

Is there a faster way to find k?

Yes, if you know the specific term you are looking for, you can plug in the values of that term and the previous term into the formula k = a(n+1)^b - a(n)^b to find the value of k directly.

Are there any other methods to solve this type of sequence and series problem?

Yes, you can also use the formula for the general term of a geometric sequence or series, depending on the pattern of the sequence. It is important to recognize the type of sequence or series in order to use the appropriate formula for solving it.