Solve Set Theory Question: Can Countably Infinite Set Have Uncountable Subsets?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a countably infinite set having an uncountable collection of non-empty subsets with finite intersections. The answer is yes, and an example is given using the set of all integers. However, the answer lacks mathematical rigor and a hint is given to approach the question in a different way.
AlephNumbers
Lately I have been attempting (and failing miserably at) whatever sample Putnam questions I can find on the internet. Here is my latest endeavor. I found this question on the Kansas State University website, so I think I am allowed to post it. I must warn you that I know almost nothing about set theory.

Can a countably infinite set have an uncountable collection of non-empty subsets such that the intersection of any two of them is finite?

I know that the set of all integers is "countably" infinite.
Let I be the set containing all integers. The set I contains an infinite number of subsets each containing any number of the infinite number of elements in the set I, so the number of subsets of I is uncountable. However, any two subsets of I can be shown to have a finite intersection.
For example G={1,2,3,4} , F={3,4,5}
G and F have 2 elements in common; the elements 3 and 4 belong to both sets
The answer is yes.

I don't know if this would be a sufficient answer. It's awfully wordy and does not contain much mathematical rigor.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about A={2,4,6,8,...} and B={3,6,9,12,...} with their intersection {6,12,18,...}?
You need sets with infinite members, otherwise you do not get an uncountable number of subsets.

I like that question. It has a nice answer.

Last edited:
Likes AlephNumbers
AlephNumbers said:
Lately I have been attempting (and failing miserably at) whatever sample Putnam questions I can find on the internet. Here is my latest endeavor. I found this question on the Kansas State University website, so I think I am allowed to post it. I must warn you that I know almost nothing about set theory.

Can a countably infinite set have an uncountable collection of non-empty subsets such that the intersection of any two of them is finite?

I know that the set of all integers is "countably" infinite.
Let I be the set containing all integers. The set I contains an infinite number of subsets each containing any number of the infinite number of elements in the set I, so the number of subsets of I is uncountable. However, any two subsets of I can be shown to have a finite intersection.
For example G={1,2,3,4} , F={3,4,5}
G and F have 2 elements in common; the elements 3 and 4 belong to both sets
The answer is yes.

I don't know if this would be a sufficient answer. It's awfully wordy and does not contain much mathematical rigor.

It doesn't contain any rigor. And tackling Putnam questions while saying you know almost nothing about set theory is a bold move. I agree with mfb that it is a nice question and does have an easy answer. Here's a hint. You can split ##I## into three disjoint sets where two contain a countably infinite number of members and one has a finite number. Show that and use it.

Last edited:
Hmm. I think I'll put this one on the backburner. Thank you for the input.

What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It provides a foundation for all of mathematics and is used to describe and analyze mathematical structures and relationships.

What is a countably infinite set?

A countably infinite set is a set that has the same cardinality (number of elements) as the set of natural numbers (1, 2, 3, ...). This means that the elements in the set can be put in a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers, and can be counted indefinitely without ever reaching a largest element.

What is an uncountable set?

An uncountable set is a set that has a larger cardinality than the set of natural numbers. This means that the elements in the set cannot be put in a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers and cannot be counted indefinitely.

Can a countably infinite set have uncountable subsets?

Yes, a countably infinite set can have uncountable subsets. This is possible because the cardinality of a set is not determined by the size of its subsets. For example, the set of real numbers (which is uncountable) is a subset of the set of complex numbers (which is also uncountable), but both sets have the same cardinality as the set of natural numbers.

How can we prove that a countably infinite set can have uncountable subsets?

We can prove this by using a mathematical technique called diagonalization. This involves showing that for any proposed one-to-one correspondence between the elements of a countably infinite set and the natural numbers, there will always exist an element that is not included in the correspondence. This element can then be used to create an uncountable subset of the original set.