Solve Tension and Angles Homework: Find Smallest \theta

In summary, an adventurous archaeologist with a mass of 91.0 kg is crossing between two rock cliffs by hand-over-handing along a rope that can only withstand a tension of 2.80×10^4 N. To find the smallest value of the angle theta that will not break the rope, the tension equation is used. However, the attempt at a solution was incorrect due to a missing factor of 2 and the need for a free body diagram.
Payne0511

Homework Statement

An adventurous archaeologist crosses between two rock cliffs by slowly going hand-over-hand along a rope stretched between the cliffs. He stops to rest at the middle of the rope . The rope will break if the tension in it exceeds 2.80×10^4 N, and our hero's mass is 91.0 kg.

What is the smallest value the angle \theta can have if the rope is not to break?

Homework Equations

Tension=(M*g)/cos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find the tension on the rope to be 2260 N. from there I thought I could set the above equation >= to the maximum tension of the rope 28000 N and solve for theta, which gave me 1.54, but that was clearly wrong. Not too sure what else to try here..

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
How is theta defined, with respect to the vertical or horizontal? However it is defined, draw a free body diagram. There are three forces acting on the mass, the weight and two pieces of the rope. Your expression does not have a factor of 2 in it.

for any help

To solve for the smallest value of theta, we need to consider the forces acting on the rope. The weight of the archaeologist, 91.0 kg, exerts a downward force of (91.0 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = 891.8 N on the rope. This force must be balanced by the tension in the rope, which is directed upwards. Therefore, we can set up the following equation: Tension = weight / cos(theta). Plugging in the values, we get:
Tension = (891.8 N) / cos(theta)
Now, we know that the tension must be less than or equal to the maximum tension of 2.80×10^4 N. Therefore, we can set up the following inequality:
Tension <= 2.80×10^4 N
Substituting in the expression for tension, we get:
(891.8 N) / cos(theta) <= 2.80×10^4 N
Rearranging, we get:
cos(theta) >= (891.8 N) / (2.80×10^4 N)
Solving for theta, we get:
theta <= cos^-1(891.8 N / 2.80×10^4 N) = 1.67 radians
Therefore, the smallest value of theta that will not break the rope is 1.67 radians, or approximately 95.7 degrees.

Related to Solve Tension and Angles Homework: Find Smallest \theta

1. What is the purpose of solving tension and angles homework?

Solving tension and angles homework helps us understand the relationship between forces, angles, and equilibrium in a given system. It allows us to calculate the smallest angle that will result in a state of equilibrium for a system under tension.

2. How do I find the smallest theta in a system of tension and angles?

To find the smallest theta, you need to set up equations for the forces acting on each object in the system and then use trigonometric functions to solve for theta. This will give you the smallest angle that will result in equilibrium for the system.

3. What is the importance of finding the smallest theta in a system of tension and angles?

The smallest theta is important because it represents the minimum angle required for a system to remain in equilibrium. It helps us understand the stability of a system and how much force is needed to maintain equilibrium.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving tension and angles homework?

One common mistake is forgetting to convert units when necessary. Make sure all units are consistent throughout your calculations. It's also important to double-check your trigonometric calculations and use the correct identities and formulas.

5. How can I apply the concepts of tension and angles to real-world situations?

The principles of tension and angles can be applied to various real-world situations, such as bridge construction, the design of support systems for buildings, and the analysis of forces on objects in motion. It can also be used in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics.