Solve the problem involving toss of a biased coin- Probability

In summary, the conversation discusses the Von Neumann Strategy and its application in finding the expected value and variance in a problem involving tosses. The derivation of variance is shown and two alternative methods for solving the problem are presented. The final part of the conversation discusses finding the probability for a specific outcome using geometric distribution.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
Probability -Expectation and variance
This is the problem;
1662161507222.png

My thinking on this is based on Von Neumann Strategy i.e
##e=pf+(1-p)((f+e)## where ##e##= Expected value, ##p##= Probability and ##f## = number of tosses ...in our case ##f=1##
##e=\frac{f}{p}=\frac{1}{p}## This is clear (as indicated on the left hand side of the ms -attached below).

The part that i need clarity is on the Variance derivation i.e on the right hand side of the ms solution.

I know that Variance=npq, with n=1 and q=1-p this part is clear...but i do not seem to get the highlighted part.

1662162051838.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just saw the steps...one has to know the derivation though...it stems from

##Var (X)= E[X^2]-(E(X))^2##.

The derivation of Variance is as shown on the attachment below;

1662208856314.png

1662208891514.png

From here the steps to solution is straightforward.

##Var(X)=\dfrac{1-p}{p^2}##
now in our problem we shall therefore have;

##\dfrac{1}{p}=2×\dfrac{1-p}{p^2}##

##p=2-2p##

##3p=2##

##p=\dfrac{2}{3}##

Something new i am learning here today...i can see that it all refers to the geometric distribution...for the next part of the question, it asks us to find;

1662209756435.png

1662209983794.png
Here we shall use,

##Pr(X=i)=(1-p)^{i-1}p##

given that ##p=\frac{2}{3}##

##Pr(X=4)=\left[\frac{1}{3}\right]^{3}×\frac{2}{3}=\frac{2}{81}##

Any other alternative approach or insight is highly welcome guys.

Last edited:
I would write [tex]
p \sum_{k=1}^\infty k^2 (1-p)^{k-1} = \frac{p}{1-p} F(1-p)[/tex] where [tex]
F(x) = \sum_{k=0}^\infty k^2 x^k.[/tex] Since multiplying by [itex]k[/itex] inside the power series can be replaced by operating with [itex]x\frac{d}{dx}[/itex] outside it we get [tex]
\begin{split}
F(x) = \left(x \frac{d}{dx}\right)^2\sum_{k=0}^\infty x^k &= \left(x \frac{d}{dx}\right)^2\frac{1}{1-x} \\
&= \frac{x(x+1)}{(1 - x)^3}.\end{split}[/tex] Thus [tex]
\frac{p}{1-p}F(1-p) = \frac{p}{1-p} \frac{(1-p)(2-p)}{p^3} = \frac{2-p}{p^2}[/tex] as required.

Likes chwala
Another method is to note that:
$$E(X^2) = p + (1-p)E((X+1)^2)$$$$ = p + (1-p)(E(X^2) +2E(X) + 1)$$$$ = (1-p)E(X^2) +\frac{2-p}{p}$$Hence:
$$E(X^2) = \frac {2-p}{p^2}$$Note that we can justify the "trick" in the first line using power series:
$$E(X^2) = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}k^2p(1-p)^{k-1}$$$$ = p + \sum_{k=2}^{\infty}k^2p(1-p)^{k-1}$$$$=p+ (1-p)\sum_{k=2}^{\infty}k^2p(1-p)^{k-2}$$$$ = p+ (1-p)\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}(k+1)^2p(1-p)^{k-1}$$$$= p + (1-p)E((X+1)^2)$$

Likes chwala

1. What is a biased coin?

A biased coin is a coin that does not have an equal chance of landing on heads or tails. This means that the probability of getting heads or tails is not 50%, but instead favors one side over the other.

2. How do you determine the bias of a coin?

The bias of a coin can be determined by conducting multiple tosses and recording the number of times it lands on heads and tails. If the number of heads or tails is significantly higher than the other, the coin is considered biased.

3. How do you calculate the probability of getting a certain outcome with a biased coin?

The probability of getting a certain outcome with a biased coin can be calculated by dividing the number of times that outcome occurs by the total number of tosses. For example, if a biased coin lands on heads 8 out of 10 times, the probability of getting heads is 8/10 or 80%.

4. Can a biased coin be used for fair games of chance?

No, a biased coin cannot be used for fair games of chance as it does not have an equal probability of landing on each side. This would give one player an unfair advantage over the other.

5. How can you solve a problem involving a biased coin and probability?

To solve a problem involving a biased coin and probability, you can use the formula P(A) = number of favorable outcomes / total number of outcomes. This will give you the probability of a certain outcome occurring. Additionally, you can use tree diagrams or Venn diagrams to visually represent the different outcomes and their probabilities.