Solve the problem that involves vector displacement

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct markscheme for part (a) and (b) of a problem involving vectors. It is determined that the textbook is correct and further clarification is provided on the order of operations and the conditions for the vectors to be equal. The conversation also touches on the meaning of a dot product being equal to zero.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
Vectors
1654002170635.png

My interest is on part ##a## only. Is the markscheme correct?

1654002232103.png

I have ##BA= -b+a= a-b.## It therefore follows that ##|a-b|## is the Length of ##BA##...or are we saying it does not matter even if we have ... ##AB.## Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
and for part (b), going with ms
##AB=b-a.## Let the midpoint of ##AB=M##, then ##⇒AM=\dfrac{1}{2}(b-a)## unless i am missing something, there seems to be something wrong with the guide response...

chwala said:
Homework Statement:: See attached
Relevant Equations:: Vectors

View attachment 302155

My interest is on part ##a## only. Is the markscheme correct?

View attachment 302156

I have ##BA= -b+a= a-b.## It therefore follows that ##|a-b|## is the Length of ##BA##...or are we saying it does not matter even if we have ... ##AB.## Cheers
##|AB| = |BA|##.

chwala said:
and for part (b), going with ms
##AB=b-a.## Let the midpoint of ##AB=M##, then ##⇒AM=\dfrac{1}{2}(b-a)## unless i am missing something, there seems to be something wrong with the guide response...
The textbook is correct. Try some example vectors to see where are ##\frac 12 (\mathbf b + \mathbf a)## and ##\frac 12 (\mathbf b - \mathbf a)##

Likes chwala and Delta2
It is ##AM=\frac{1}{2}|\mathbf{b}-\mathbf{a}|## (notice we take the magnitude of b-a)

however (b) asks for the vector ##\frac{1}{2}(\mathbf{a}+\mathbf{b})##. The full detailed response should be that this vector is equal to the position vector of M.

Last edited:
Likes chwala
Thanks, let me look at this again...

PeroK said:
##|AB| = |BA|##.
I am aware of this...i was just concerned on the order of operation...noted with regards.

When is (vector equality follows) $$\frac{1}{2}(\mathbf{b}-\mathbf{a})=\frac{1}{2}(\mathbf{a}+\mathbf{b})$$?

Delta2 said:
When is (vector equality follows) $$\frac{1}{2}(\mathbf{b}-\mathbf{a})=\frac{1}{2}(\mathbf{a}+\mathbf{b})$$?
If they have the same magnitude...

chwala said:
If they have the same magnitude...
Nope. Hint: Solve the equation for ##\mathbf{a}##.

Delta2 said:
Ok...I'll look at this later...thanks...

Delta2 said:
I do not seem to understand your question, a quick look at those vectors informs me that we have to use Modulus! For them to be equal. You may inform me on this...

Likes Delta2
chwala said:
I do not seem to understand your question, a quick look at those vectors informs me that we have to use Modulus! For them to be equal. You may inform me on this...
well you are kind of right, for all ##\mathbf{a}## those two vectors don't seem to be equal, except for one unique trivial ##\mathbf{a}=?##

Likes chwala
Delta2 said:
well you are kind of right, for all ##\mathbf{a}## those two vectors don't seem to be equal, except for one unique trivial ##\mathbf{a}=?##
except when ##a=0##

Likes Delta2
Would also be interesting to find out what condition should hold between a,b so that $$|\mathbf{b}-\mathbf{a}|=|\mathbf{b}+\mathbf{a}|$$

There are 3 conditions, the two are trivial cases, and to find the third take the square of the above equality

Likes chwala
Delta2 said:
Would also be interesting to find out what condition should hold between a,b so that $$|\mathbf{b}-\mathbf{a}|=|\mathbf{b}+\mathbf{a}|$$

There are 3 conditions, the two are trivial cases, and to find the third take the square of the above equality
yes, the two trivial cases would be given by;

Let

##b-a=b+a##
## b-b=2a##
## 2a=0 ⇒a=0##

also

Let
##b-a=-(b+a)##
##2b=a-a##
## 2b=0 ⇒ b=0##

For the third one we have;
##b^2-2ab+a^2=b^2+2ab+a^2##
##2ab+2ab=0, ⇒4ab=0 , ⇒ab=0##

Likes Delta2
what does it mean for the dot product ##\mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{b}## to be zero?

Delta2 said:
what does it mean for the dot product ##\mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{b}## to be zero?
##i. j=0## implies vectors are perpendicular to each other, we also have ##i.i=1## This is basic to me...:smile:

Likes Delta2

1. What is vector displacement?

Vector displacement is a mathematical concept used in physics and engineering to describe the change in position of an object in a given direction. It is represented by a vector, which includes magnitude (length) and direction.

2. How is vector displacement different from scalar displacement?

Scalar displacement only describes the distance traveled by an object, while vector displacement also takes into account the direction of the movement. This makes vector displacement a more comprehensive measure of an object's position change.

3. How is vector displacement calculated?

Vector displacement is calculated by subtracting the initial position vector from the final position vector. This results in a vector that represents the change in position.

4. What are some real-world applications of vector displacement?

Vector displacement is used in various fields, such as navigation, engineering, and physics. It is used to calculate the displacement of moving objects, the force required to move an object, and the direction of motion in a given system.

5. How can vector displacement be solved in a problem?

To solve a problem involving vector displacement, you will need to identify the initial and final positions of the object, calculate the difference between the two positions, and determine the magnitude and direction of the resulting vector. This will give you the vector displacement value for the problem.