Solve Thevenin Problem: A & B for R1 Circuit

• Thread starter joe_cool2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thevenin
In summary, the problem involves finding the Thevenin equivalent for a specific part of a given circuit, and then using that equivalent to determine the voltage drop and current flow across a given resistor. One approach is to work from left to right, making successive Thevenin equivalents until the desired part of the circuit is reached.
joe_cool2

Homework Statement

I give the entire question for context’s sake, but I am primarily concerned with A and B:

Suppose you have the network shown below. We want the Thevenin equivalent for the part of the circuit that surrounds R1.

Thevenin.gif

A) Find Rth by zeroing sources and reducing the circuit.

B) Now find Ith by computing the short-circuit current with Rth and V0.

C) Using the values below, find Vth and Rth. Predict the voltage drop, and hence the current flow, across R1.

V0: 9V
R1: 100
R2: 330
R3: 220
R4: 2200
R5: 1000
R6: 100
R7: 3000
R8: 470

D) Build the circuit with these values and measure the actual value and see if it matches your prediction.

E) Build the Thevenin equivalent and connect it to R1. Is the voltage drop the same?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

A) To find Rth, we have to look back through the circuit and determine which parts of the circuit are parallel or in series relative to the terminals.

[tex]\left (\frac{1}{R7}+\frac{1}{R3}\right)^{-1} + R5 + \left (\frac{1}{R8+R2}+\frac{1}{R6+R4}\right)^{-1}[/tex]

This gets about 1.7 kOhms or so if I remember, and my multimeter confirms it.

B) This is where the examples I’ve seen regarding solving for Thevenin currents and voltages fail me. I have not yet seen an example of how to do one as complicated as this, and I have searched extensively. I do understand that in order to get the Thevenin equivalent circuit, we now need either the short circuit current or the open circuit voltage.

In the simpler examples I’ve seen, normally the open circuit voltage is found by looking for a parallel branch in the circuit, and finding the voltage drop across it. Perhaps I should be considering an equivalent branch made up of R7,R3, R5, R8, and R2?

The short circuit current often bypasses resistors on branches parallel to the short. I notice in this case, however, that there are resistors leading up to this short, so there is in fact a current division between the R8,R2 branch and the R5,R7,R3 branch. Therefore I cannot use this simplification.

Well, anyway, I gave it a shot. I thought maybe the Thevenin voltage could be found by the following:

[tex]V _{th}=V_{0}\frac{R_{th}}{R_{th}+R_{L}}[/tex]
As the Thevenin voltage is connected in series with the load on the simplified diagram; a voltage divider. I am unsure of this result because it was not obtained by a method that resembles what I’ve seen before. Moreover, it relies on a load being there when we are in fact trying to find the open circuit voltage.

I understand that I might be completely off base here. I appreciate your help in advance should you choose to give it. I also understand that you do not just hand out answers to students on here. That's why I'm posting the topic here and not Yahoo answers. I wish to learn something here, not to regurgitate an answer. So if I'm way off, let's just start from square 1, whatever that might be.

Physics news on Phys.org
One approach is to solve the problem by working your way from left to right through the circuit, making successive Thevenin equivalents as you go.

In this case you've already combined the obvious resistor combinations, and the resulting circuit looks something like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=55651&stc=1&d=1360619320.gif

The resistor numbers refer to the original resistors that were combined into single resistances.

If you make a Thevenin equivalent for what's to the left of the leftmost red arrows, then it should be simple to tack on R357 and obtain the net Thevenin equivalent looking into AB.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 473

Related to Solve Thevenin Problem: A & B for R1 Circuit

1. What is a Thevenin circuit?

A Thevenin circuit is a simplified representation of a complex circuit, used for analysis and calculation of voltage and current in a specific part of the circuit. It consists of a voltage source (Thevenin voltage) in series with a resistor (Thevenin resistance).

2. How do you solve a Thevenin problem for a circuit with multiple resistors?

To solve a Thevenin problem for a circuit with multiple resistors, you need to follow these steps:
1. Calculate the equivalent resistance of the circuit by combining all the resistors in series and parallel.
2. Find the open-circuit voltage, which is the voltage across the two terminals where the load resistor would be connected.
3. Find the short-circuit current, which is the current that would flow through the two terminals if they were connected with a wire.
4. Use Ohm's law to calculate the Thevenin voltage (Vth) by dividing the open-circuit voltage by the equivalent resistance.
5. Use the Thevenin voltage and Thevenin resistance to draw the Thevenin circuit.

3. How do you determine the Thevenin resistance of a circuit?

The Thevenin resistance (Rth) of a circuit is determined by short-circuiting all voltage sources in the circuit and calculating the equivalent resistance between the two terminals where the load resistor would be connected. This can be done by combining all the resistors in series and parallel, and taking the equivalent resistance as the Thevenin resistance.

4. What is the difference between Thevenin and Norton circuits?

The main difference between Thevenin and Norton circuits is that a Thevenin circuit is a voltage source in series with a resistor, while a Norton circuit is a current source in parallel with a resistor. Both circuits are simplified representations of a complex circuit and can be used for analysis and calculation of voltage and current.

5. How do you use Thevenin's theorem to analyze a circuit?

To use Thevenin's theorem to analyze a circuit, you need to follow these steps:
1. Identify the load resistor in the circuit.
2. Remove the load resistor and calculate the Thevenin voltage (Vth) and Thevenin resistance (Rth) of the circuit.
3. Draw the Thevenin circuit, which consists of a voltage source (Vth) in series with a resistor (Rth).
4. Use Ohm's law to calculate the current through the load resistor.
5. Use the current to calculate the voltage across the load resistor.