Solve Torque Equation Homework w/ Help & Solution

• Thread starter Orex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from a practice sheet that involves calculating torque and moments. The person is stuck on part B and is unsure if their solution for part A is correct. The conversation includes tips for writing torque equations, such as choosing a reference point and substituting actual forces and distances. The conversation also includes a discussion about how to correctly calculate the torque from the weight of the plank, with suggestions to find the center of mass and use integral calculus. It is eventually revealed that the masses of A and B are 50 kg and 90 kg, respectively.
Orex

Homework Statement

Hello, I attempted solving a problem from my practice sheet, but got stuck on part B. If my part A is incorrect, please let me know!
hmmm.png

WP_20150726_14_09_49_Pro.jpg

Homework Equations

Not sure which equations to use!

The Attempt at a Solution

WP_20150726_14_16_54_Pro.jpg

I don't think the solution is too difficult for part B, but I'm stuck on not knowing if part A is correct, so i cannot move on. Any help, and an attempt at the solution would be appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The ∑Fy equation looks OK.

For writing the torque equation, you should pick a reference point to use to calculate torque (or moment).

Since the problem wants you to find how far Bob can walk toward the right end of the plank before it starts to tilt, a good choice of reference would be to use the location of the right sawhorse.

When writing moment (torque) equations, it's understood that T = F × d, so go ahead and substitute any actual forces or distances into your moment equation. Terms like "TA" can be confusing, to you and others.

Here is my second attempt. Is my torque equation right?
I know 8.333...m cannot be the right answer, it does not make sense. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated!
Also Note: I believe the mass of A and B are given, 50kg and 90kg respectively.
WP_20150726_14_16_54_Pro.jpg

You are not calculating the torque from the plank's weight correctly. In your equation, you calculate it as though the weight of the 5m section of plank to the left of the right pivot is all applied at A. It is not. You need to work out the torque ##\tau_{left}^{plank}## of the left-side plank's own weight by integrating:

$$\tau_{left}^{plank}=\int_0^5 l\cdot g\cdot \frac{200kg}{9m}dl $$

You then need to do a similar integration to get the opposite torque of the weight of the right-hand section of plank.

Then add in the torques of Anna and Bob.

Orex said:
Here is my second attempt. Is my torque equation right?
I know 8.333...m cannot be the right answer, it does not make sense. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated!
Also Note: I believe the mass of A and B are given, 50kg and 90kg respectively.
View attachment 86484
You calculated the moment due to mass A correctly.

Why did you choose the moment arm of the plank's mass as 5 m from the second sawhorse?

Why did you assume the direction of the moment due to the plank's mass is opposite that of mass A?

Why did you assume the direction of the moment due to mass B was the same direction due to the moment due to mass A? Aren't they acting in opposite directions?

For future problems, assume moments acting counter-clockwise are positive.

andrewkirk said:
You are not calculating the torque from the plank's weight correctly. In your equation, you calculate it as though the weight of the 5m section of plank to the left of the right pivot is all applied at A. It is not. You need to work out the torque ##\tau_{left}^{plank}## of the left-side plank's own weight by integrating:

$$\tau_{left}^{plank}=\int_0^5 l\cdot g\cdot \frac{200kg}{9m}dl $$
There's no need to get this complicated.

The plank is uniform, and its center of mass should be easy to find without resorting to integral calculus.

SteamKing said:
There's no need to get this complicated.

The plank is uniform, and its center of mass should be easy to find without resorting to integral calculus.
Good point. I hadn't noticed that.

Without knowing the mass of A and B or at least the ratio of their masses I don't see how no you can resolve this, sorry I hadn't read steamking's comment before posting

Jobrag said:
Without knowing the mass of A and B or at least the ratio of their masses I don't see how no you can resolve this, sorry I hadn't read steamking's comment before posting
Apparently, the OP neglected to mention that MA = 50 kg and MB = 90 kg in the original problem statement. These figures appear in Post #3 in his calculations.

Related to Solve Torque Equation Homework w/ Help & Solution

What is a torque equation?

A torque equation is a mathematical equation used to calculate the rotational force, or torque, acting on an object. It takes into account the force applied to an object, the distance from the point of rotation, and the angle at which the force is applied.

Why is it important to solve torque equations?

Solving torque equations is important in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and mechanics. It allows us to understand the forces acting on a rotating object and can help us design and analyze structures and machines.

How do I solve a torque equation?

To solve a torque equation, you need to know the force acting on the object, the distance from the point of rotation, and the angle at which the force is applied. You can then use the formula τ = r x F x sinθ, where τ is the torque, r is the distance, F is the force, and θ is the angle.

What units are used in torque equations?

Torque is typically measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the metric and imperial systems, respectively. However, other units such as joules (J) or inch-pounds (in-lb) may also be used, depending on the specific application.

Can I get help with solving torque equations?

Yes, there are many resources available for help with solving torque equations. You can consult textbooks, online tutorials, or seek assistance from a tutor or teacher. It is important to understand the basic principles and concepts before attempting to solve more complex torque equations.