Solving a Circuit with Diodes: Find V Across Resistor

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with two diodes and a resistor, and the process of solving for the voltage across the resistor. It is suggested to first ignore the diodes and solve for the resistor divider voltages, then to consider the effects of adding each diode individually and then both together. The idea of making assumptions about the state of the diodes and checking them against the voltage on either side is also mentioned.
Ry122

Homework Statement

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/6302/20285200.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm unsure where to begin with this.
I need to find the value V across the resistor and I'm unsure how.
What effect do the diodes have in a circuit that's set up in this way?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Both diodes are forward biased.
If they are ideal, you can replace them with short circuits. If not, you can replace them by voltage sources of 0.6 V.

Ry122 said:

Homework Statement

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/6302/20285200.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm unsure where to begin with this.
I need to find the value V across the resistor and I'm unsure how.
What effect do the diodes have in a circuit that's set up in this way?

Start by ignoring the diodes, and solve for the two separate resistor divider voltages. What do you get? Now if you put in one diode at a time, what happens? And then with both of them in at once?

CEL said:
Both diodes are forward biased.

I'm not sure that is true...

Last edited by a moderator:
How come when solving these circuits you're supposed to make assumptions about which ones might be on and which ones are off, and then check to see if you're right?

Why can't you just look at the voltages on either side of the diodes and see whether the cathode or anode side is greater?

Ry122 said:
Why can't you just look at the voltages on either side of the diodes and see whether the cathode or anode side is greater?

You can if there's just one diode, but in general the A-K polarity of a particular diode will depend on the state (conducting / non conducting) of all the other diodes in the circuit. Your original question above is a good example of this.

1. How do diodes affect the voltage across a resistor in a circuit?

Diodes act as one-way valves for electric current, allowing current to flow in only one direction. This means that the voltage across the resistor will be affected by the direction of current flow and the characteristics of the diode.

2. What is the role of a resistor in a circuit with diodes?

Resistors are used to limit the amount of current flowing through a circuit. In a circuit with diodes, resistors help to control the voltage across the diode and prevent it from being damaged by excessive current.

3. How can I calculate the voltage across a resistor in a circuit with diodes?

To calculate the voltage across a resistor in a circuit with diodes, you will need to use Ohm's law (V = IR) and Kirchhoff's voltage law. First, use Ohm's law to calculate the current flowing through the resistor. Then, use Kirchhoff's voltage law to determine the voltage drop across the diode. Finally, subtract the voltage drop across the diode from the total voltage in the circuit to find the voltage across the resistor.

4. What are some common applications of circuits with diodes?

Circuits with diodes are commonly used in electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and radios. They are also used in power supplies, voltage regulators, and rectifiers to convert AC current to DC current.

5. Can I use any type of diode in a circuit to solve for the voltage across a resistor?

No, different types of diodes have different characteristics and are designed for specific purposes. It is important to choose the appropriate diode for your circuit based on factors such as voltage and current requirements, switching speed, and temperature range.