Solving a Second-Order Nonlinear Differential Equation

In summary: You should get an equation of the form v^2 = C + f(h).In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to calculate the formula for the position vs. time of a rocket landing from an altitude of 100km. The equations for drag force and air density at different altitudes are given and simplified. The conversation then delves into solving the differential equation, with a suggestion to substitute dt = dh/v and integrate with respect to h to get an equation of the form v^2 = C + f(h).
bob14

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm trying to calculate the formula for the position vs. time of a rocket landing from an altitude of 100km. I'm neglecting a lot of forces for simplification but basically, I want to solve ##F_{net} = Drag - mg##.

Homework Equations

Drag Force: D = ## \frac {C_dAρv^2} {2}##

Air Density at height h: ρ(h) = b * h
(I'm just assuming this to simplify the calculation. In the real derivation I would find an equation for each layer of the atmosphere since they differ).

Simplified D = ##kρv^2## where k = ## \frac {C_dA} {2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

##F_{net} = Drag - mg##
##m \frac {dv} {dt} = kρv^2- mg##
##m \frac {dv} {dt} = kbhv^2- mg##

Now I can write v as ## \frac {dh} {dt}##:

##m \frac {dh^2} {d^2t} = kbh{ ( \frac {dh} {dt})}^2- mg##

Here's where I can't solve it. I've never really taken advanced differential equations so I would just like some tips to go in the right direction. I want to get an h(t) type of equation at the end. If that isn't possible, I would still like to simplify the differential to maybe just solve for a numerical answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

google terminal velocity differential equation and find e.g. eq 11 here

##\rho## and ##v## vary slowly with altitude

Hi, the website that you gave doesn't account for ρ. I have already solved the equation in the website when just velocity changes. But when I add the ρ, the equation becomes harder for me since h(t) and h'(t) are multiplied.

Your equation for the air density is not correct. A more appropriate approximation would be ##\rho = \rho_0 e^{-bh}##
To solve the differential equation, write dt = dh/v.

Oh ok. So I would get:

##m \frac {dv} {dt} = kp_0e^{-bh}v^2 - mg##

Since ## \frac {dh} {dt} = v## → ##dh = v dt## → ##h = \frac {v^2} {2} + C##
Substituting:

##m \frac {dv} {dt} = kp_0e^{\frac {-bv^2} {2} + C}v^2 - mg##

⇒ ##m \frac {dv} {dt} = Ckp_0e^{\frac {-bv^2} {2}}v^2 - mg##

⇒## \frac {dv} {Ckp_0e^{\frac {-bv^2} {2}}v^2 - mg} = \frac {dt} {m}##

bob14 said:
Oh ok. So I would get:

##m \frac {dv} {dt} = kp_0e^{-bh}v^2 - mg##

Since ## \frac {dh} {dt} = v## → ##dh = v dt## → ##h = \frac {v^2} {2} + C##
Substituting:

##m \frac {dv} {dt} = kp_0e^{\frac {-bv^2} {2} + C}v^2 - mg##

⇒ ##m \frac {dv} {dt} = Ckp_0e^{\frac {-bv^2} {2}}v^2 - mg##

⇒## \frac {dv} {Ckp_0e^{\frac {-bv^2} {2}}v^2 - mg} = \frac {dt} {m}##
This is not what I said. Substitute dt = dh/v in dv/dt, and integrate with respect to h.

1. What is a second-order nonlinear differential equation?

A second-order nonlinear differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of a function, as well as nonlinear terms. It is a type of differential equation that cannot be solved using simple algebraic methods and often requires advanced mathematical techniques.

2. How do you solve a second-order nonlinear differential equation?

The process of solving a second-order nonlinear differential equation involves finding the general solution by first identifying the type of equation and then applying appropriate methods such as substitution, integration, or series expansion. This is followed by applying initial or boundary conditions to find a particular solution.

3. What are some common techniques used to solve second-order nonlinear differential equations?

Some common techniques used to solve second-order nonlinear differential equations include the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and power series solutions. Other methods such as Laplace transforms and numerical methods like Euler's method can also be used depending on the specific equation.

4. Can all second-order nonlinear differential equations be solved analytically?

No, not all second-order nonlinear differential equations can be solved analytically. Some equations may have no closed-form solutions and can only be solved numerically. Additionally, certain equations may require special functions or techniques that are not readily available.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving second-order nonlinear differential equations?

Second-order nonlinear differential equations have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They are commonly used to model complex systems such as fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and population growth. They are also essential in understanding the behavior of electrical circuits, chemical reactions, and many other natural phenomena.