System of Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with specific values for variables a, b, and c and a method to solve the problem. The method involves calculating the derivative with a constant D and multiplying it by small increments of t to get values for v. There is also mention of using the Runge Kutta method for numerical integration. However, when attempting to add a second differential equation, the excel sheet starts giving non-real numbers. The conversation suggests trying a smaller value for a and/or a smaller step size. Eventually, the problem is solved by making the step size smaller and adjusting the constants. There is also a discussion about generating plots and the use of small increments of t in the absence of a t term in the differentials. It
confused student

Homework Statement

upload_2019-2-24_17-10-45.png

(It should be noted that the actual problem has specific values associated with a, b, and c. However, at this point I'm trying to find a method to solve the problem rather than a specific solution).

Homework Equations

upload_2019-2-24_17-10-38.png

The Attempt at a Solution

When I was trying to solve this initially, I didn't realize that D changed with respect to t; for that reason my solution only applies for when D is constant. I calculated dv/dt with a constant D and multiplied that slope by small increments of t in order to get values of v. I know there are more efficient methods to do numerical integration like the Runge Kutta method, but I was trying to blow through the problem without them. My excel sheet started giving non real numbers when I added in the second differential equation (dD/dt), so I'm really stuck. How should I go about solving this with the additional differential equation? Thank you in advance for any assistance!
upload_2019-2-24_17-10-56.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-24_17-9-50.png
    upload_2019-2-24_17-9-50.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 274
  • upload_2019-2-24_17-10-38.png
    upload_2019-2-24_17-10-38.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 480
  • upload_2019-2-24_17-10-45.png
    upload_2019-2-24_17-10-45.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 633
  • upload_2019-2-24_17-10-56.png
    upload_2019-2-24_17-10-56.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 518
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and :welcome:
confused student said:
started giving non real numbers
What does that look like, imaginary numbers ? Or just error indications ?

Can happen if D becomes negative. I would first try a smaller value for ##a## and/or a smaller step size

Likes confused student
So I kept fiddling with it, and the problem was that D changed too quickly; I made my step size smaller and made my constants smaller. That generated actual numbers. One thing I'm still not sure of is my method to generate the plots. Does it make sense to multiply the slope by small increments of t if there is no t term in the differentials?

There is a ##dt## in the denominator, I should hope ?
What you do is you integrate: ##f(t+\Delta t) = f(t) + f'(t) \Delta t##

1. What is a system of differential equations?

A system of differential equations is a set of equations that describe the relationship between multiple variables and their rates of change over time. These equations are typically represented using derivatives, and can be used to model a wide range of phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology.

2. How is a system of differential equations solved?

Solving a system of differential equations involves finding a set of functions that satisfy all of the equations in the system. This can be done analytically, using techniques such as separation of variables or substitution, or numerically, using methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods. The method used will depend on the complexity of the system and the desired level of accuracy.

3. What is the importance of systems of differential equations?

Systems of differential equations are important because they allow us to mathematically model and understand complex systems in various fields. They can help us predict and analyze the behavior of these systems over time, and make informed decisions based on this information. They also provide a powerful tool for studying the relationships between different variables and how they affect each other.

4. What are some real-world applications of systems of differential equations?

Systems of differential equations have a wide range of real-world applications, including modeling population growth, predicting weather patterns, analyzing chemical reactions, and understanding the behavior of electrical circuits. They are also used in fields such as economics, epidemiology, and ecology to study complex systems and make predictions about their behavior.

5. What are some common challenges in solving systems of differential equations?

One of the main challenges in solving systems of differential equations is determining the appropriate method to use. Some systems may be too complex to solve analytically, while others may require a high level of accuracy that can only be achieved through numerical methods. Another challenge is ensuring that the solution obtained is valid and accurately reflects the behavior of the system. This may require checking for errors and adjusting the method or parameters used in the solution process.