Solving a system of equations by Gauss's method

In summary, solving a system of equations by Gauss's method involves using elimination and substitution to reduce the equations to a simpler form and find the values of the variables. This method is useful for solving systems with multiple equations and variables, and it follows a systematic approach to find the solutions. By performing operations on the equations, such as multiplying, adding, or subtracting, the system can be simplified until the values of the variables are determined. Gauss's method is widely used in mathematics and engineering for solving complex systems of equations efficiently.
Physicaa

Homework Statement

So I have the following :

AX=B, where

$$A=\begin{bmatrix}
a_{ij}
\end{bmatrix}_{mXn}$$

with $$a_{ij}=i$$

$$
X=\begin{bmatrix}
X_{1} &X_{2} &X_{3} &... &X_{n}
\end{bmatrix}^T$$

and

$$B=\begin{bmatrix}
1 &2 &3 &... &m
\end{bmatrix}^T$$

Homework Equations

Gauss' method of solving system of linear equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Now the thing is, when I usually solve a system of equation with Gauss I usually get 3 normal equations. It's the first time I get this and I'm not even sure of what I have in my hands...

Could somebody help?
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]a_{i,j}=i [/itex] then the two first rows are [itex]
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1 & ... \\
2 & 2 & ... \\
... & ... & ... \\
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex] What does that tell you about the determinant of A?

Physicaa said:

Homework Statement

So I have the following :

AX=B, where

$$A=\begin{bmatrix}
a_{ij}
\end{bmatrix}_{mXn}$$

with $$a_{ij}=i$$

$$
X=\begin{bmatrix}
X_{1} &X_{2} &X_{3} &... &X_{n}
\end{bmatrix}^T$$

and

$$B=\begin{bmatrix}
1 &2 &3 &... &m
\end{bmatrix}^T$$

Homework Equations

Gauss' method of solving system of linear equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Now the thing is, when I usually solve a system of equation with Gauss I usually get 3 normal equations. It's the first time I get this and I'm not even sure of what I have in my hands...

Could somebody help?[/B]
It's not clear what you mean when you say you get 3 normal equations when you use Gauss' method. Normal equations are formed when you multiply A by its transpose, and this method of forming normal equations is frequently used to solve for the unknown coefficients in a regression equation. Even then, the system of normal equations must be solved using some technique, but because the resulting system is usually only a 2 x 2 or a 3 x 3, Cramer's Rule can be employed rather than Gaussian elimination.

Your present system of equations is a little more general. The matrix of coefficients A is composed of elements where each element in a particular row is equal to its row number. That's what ##a_{ij} = i## means. Ditto for the RHS: the value of each element in the B vector is also equal to the row number.

Thus, your system looks like this (for n = 3):

Code:
| 1   1   1 |   | X1 |    | 1 |
| 2   2   2 | * | X2 |  = | 2 |
| 3   3   3 |   | X3 |    | 3 |
Applying Gaussian elimination to this system of equations will produce an upper triangular matrix of coefficients with just a single non-zero coefficient in the n-th equation. The n-th unknown can then be solved and the values of the other n-1 unknowns can be determined in turn by proceeding from the n-th equation back to the first equation, using back-substitution.

The technique is illustrated here:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GaussianElimination.html

SteamKing said:
It's not clear what you mean when you say you get 3 normal equations when you use Gauss' method. Normal equations are formed when you multiply A by its transpose, and this method of forming normal equations is frequently used to solve for the unknown coefficients in a regression equation. Even then, the system of normal equations must be solved using some technique, but because the resulting system is usually only a 2 x 2 or a 3 x 3, Cramer's Rule can be employed rather than Gaussian elimination.

Your present system of equations is a little more general. The matrix of coefficients A is composed of elements where each element in a particular row is equal to its row number. That's what ##a_{ij} = i## means. Ditto for the RHS: the value of each element in the B vector is also equal to the row number.

Code:
Applying Gaussian elimination to this system of equations will produce an upper triangular matrix of coefficients with just a single non-zero coefficient in the n-th equation. The n-th unknown can then be solved and the values of the other n-1 unknowns can be determined in turn by proceeding from the n-th equation back to the first equation, using back-substitution.

So I'm supposed to solve this generally ? I just meant that it's the first time I get something like this. Never saw this.

How do I even begin this in the first place ? I know how to use Gauss, it's just the setting up that's causig problems.

SteamKing said:

Code:

I drew this : http://imgur.com/5lQZNvk

How do I get my system now ? I m going to go sleep, I hope I get an answer :(

Physicaa said:
I drew this : http://imgur.com/5lQZNvk

How do I get my system now ? I m going to go sleep, I hope I get an answer :(
Look at the clue given to you by Svein in Post #2.

What can you say about the determinant of A in general, given its composition?

SteamKing said:
Look at the clue given to you by Svein in Post #2.

What can you say about the determinant of A in general, given its composition?
Well it's going to be the "i" that we place in it. like 1,1,1,1...,1

etc.

Oh I didn't notice his post. Sorry

Svein said:
If [itex]a_{i,j}=i [/itex] then the two first rows are [itex]
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1 & ... \\
2 & 2 & ... \\
... & ... & ... \\
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex] What does that tell you about the determinant of A?
I didn't lean about determinants yet

Physicaa said:
I didn't lean about determinants yet
That makes it difficult to determine if a system of linear equations has a solution, if you don't know anything about determinants.

SteamKing said:
That makes it difficult to determine if a system of linear equations has a solution, if you don't know anything about determinants.
So there's no other way for me to determine the answer ?

Physicaa said:
So there's no other way for me to determine the answer ?
I don't know what to tell you.

Studying matrix algebra without studying determinants is like studying arithmetic but omitting discussions of multiplication.

If you don't know what a determinant is, Cramer's Rule is off the table, for example, since that method is based entirely on calculating determinants.

While you don't need to explicitly calculate the determinant of the matrix of coefficients to use Gaussian elimination, knowledge that the determinant is not zero suggests that there is a unique solution to the associated system of linear equations.

SteamKing said:
I don't know what to tell you.

Studying matrix algebra without studying determinants is like studying arithmetic but omitting discussions of multiplication.

If you don't know what a determinant is, Cramer's Rule is off the table, for example, since that method is based entirely on calculating determinants.

While you don't need to explicitly calculate the determinant of the matrix of coefficients to use Gaussian elimination, knowledge that the determinant is not zero suggests that there is a unique solution to the associated system of linear equations.
I didn't say we won'T learn it, we just didn't at the moment. Now what I wonder is why did I get this problem if it's not possible for me to solve it without any tools...

Physicaa said:
I didn't say we won'T learn it, we just didn't at the moment. Now what I wonder is why did I get this problem if it's not possible for me to solve it without any tools...
Well, skip determinants for the time being.

Hve you learned how to tell if a system of linear equations is independent?

Physicaa said:

You do not need determinants; you just need to actually know how Gaussian elimination works. Then you need to carry out the actual Gaussian elimination steps. I mean: do it instead of agonizing about it.

To help you get going, I suggest very strongly that you do it from start to finish first for the case of n = 2 and then for the case of n = 3. Both of these are small enough that you should have no difficulties. Come back with more questions (if you need to) after you have done what I suggested.

Ray Vickson said:
You do not need determinants; you just need to actually know how Gaussian elimination works. Then you need to carry out the actual Gaussian elimination steps. I mean: do it instead of agonizing about it.

To help you get going, I suggest very strongly that you do it from start to finish first for the case of n = 2 and then for the case of n = 3. Both of these are small enough that you should have no difficulties. Come back with more questions (if you need to) after you have done what I suggested.
Ok I'll go try and see if i can figure it out.

Physicaa said:
Ok I'll go try and see if i can figure it out.
Ray Vickson said:

ok, so for 2x2 I get the following equations :

x1+x2=1

2x1+2x2=2

These are good right ? I multiplied the matrices

Physicaa said:

x1+x2=1

2x1+2x2=2

These are good right ? I multiplied the matrices
To use elimination, you don't need to multiply the matrices together. It's better if you leave them as original.

Maybe you missed reading this link:

But it contains an example of how to use elimination to solve a system of equations. You should study this example carefully.

SteamKing said:
To use elimination, you don't need to multiply the matrices together. It's better if you leave them as original.

Maybe you missed reading this link:

But it contains an example of how to use elimination to solve a system of equations. You should study this example carefully.
Ok thanks, going to read this. It looks like what I have.

Physicaa said:

x1+x2=1

2x1+2x2=2
Then divide all elements in row 2 by 2. What do you get?

1. What is Gauss's method for solving a system of equations?

Gauss's method, also known as Gaussian elimination, is a process for solving a system of linear equations by using row operations to transform the system into an equivalent system that is easier to solve. It involves systematically eliminating variables to reduce the system into a triangular form, and then back-substituting to find the values of the variables.

2. How does Gauss's method work?

Gauss's method works by using three types of row operations: multiplication of a row by a non-zero constant, addition of a multiple of one row to another row, and swapping two rows. These operations are used to transform the system of equations into an upper triangular form, where the only non-zero entries are on or above the main diagonal. Then, by back-substituting, the values of the variables can be found.

3. What are the advantages of using Gauss's method to solve a system of equations?

Gauss's method is advantageous because it is systematic and can be used to solve systems of equations with any number of variables. It also allows for easy identification of inconsistent or dependent systems, and can be easily programmed and automated for larger systems.

4. Are there any limitations to Gauss's method?

One limitation of Gauss's method is that it can become computationally intensive for very large systems of equations. Additionally, it requires the system to be in a standard form, which may require additional steps for non-standard systems. There is also a possibility for round-off errors when working with decimals, which can affect the accuracy of the solution.

5. How does Gauss's method compare to other methods of solving systems of equations?

Gauss's method is one of the most widely used methods for solving systems of equations and is generally more efficient than other methods, such as Cramer's rule, when dealing with larger systems. It also allows for easy identification of inconsistent or dependent systems, which can be difficult to identify with other methods. However, for smaller systems, other methods may be more suitable and may not require as many steps.