Solving Acceleration Problem: Find Initial Accel & Vel @ 5100m

In summary: You can now work out the initial velocity with the use of the equation of motion ( v = u + at) u being the initial velocity (unknown)Using the distance equation you can also work out the distance covered in stage 1Hope this helpsDeanIn summary, a rocket is launched with constant acceleration for 16 seconds, and after 20 seconds it reaches a height of 5100 meters. The average acceleration during the first 16 seconds is calculated to be 25.5 m/s^2, and the average velocity is 255 m/s^2. By using the equations of motion and the given information, the velocity at time zero (as the rocket is being launched) can be determined, as well
ryanbersa

Homework Statement

a rocket is launched with constant acceleration for 16 secs and after 20 secs its reaches 5100m

what is acceleration during first 16 secs
what is velocity at 5100m

Homework Equations

v=v0+at

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the avg acceleration as 25.5 m/s^2
I calculated the avg velocity as 255 m/s^2

I know after 16 seconds the acceleration is -9.8 m/s^2

i have tabulated various quants to try make sense of it and even did a position vs time graph but i can get further

also did motion diagrams to show velocity vector and acceleration vectors

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose you call the acceleration during the first 16 seconds "a". What is the velocity of the rocket at time zero (as it is being launched)? In terms of "a", what is its altitude after the first 16 seconds, and what is its velocity after the first 16 seconds?

Chet

How could you express (mathematically) the distance traveled during the first 16 seconds in terms of the unknown acceleration? (Call the acceleration "a".)

How could you express (mathematically) the distance traveled during the next 4 seconds?

What must they add up to?

Edit: Chestermiller beat me to it!

Velocity at start is zero and I don't have any values for at time 16s

Ok thanks guys I have an idea now so will give it another stab in the morning

Your help is much appreciated :) I managed the first 50 questions of this chapters exercise set but this one got me

Hi guys

If I use y1 = y0 + v0(t) + 1/2(a)(t)^2 then I get Y1=128a and Y2=8a

so if i understand Doc Al correct then this should add up to 5100 meters so

128a_1+8a_2=5100m

a_1=(5100-8a_2)/128

ryanbersa said:
If I use y1 = y0 + v0(t) + 1/2(a)(t)^2 then I get Y1=128a and Y2=8a

Why does Y2=8a?

What's the velocity at the beginning of Y2? What's the acceleration?

Edit:
ryanbersa said:
and even did a position vs time graph
Try using a velocity vs time graph. That's actually an excellent way to solve the problem.
(You'll need to know two basic "calculus" ideas: 1.) the slope of the velocity graph is the acceleration, and 2.) the area of the velocity graph is the distance. Since acceleration is constant, the slope is constant, meaning the graph is made of only straight lines.)

If you don't immediately see the solution, then imagining the velocity vs time graph is certainly a great way to jump straight to the final equation.

Last edited:
y1 = 128a
v= 16a

then

y2=y1+v1(t)-1/2g(t)^2
5100=128a+16a(4)-1/2(9.8)(4)^2
5178=192a
27m/s=a ?

and

Vf=Vi+a(t)
Vf=16a+9.8(4)
Vf=16(27)-9.8(4)
Vf=392.8

By trial and error on excel :
Plug in :
initial acceleration for 15 seconds @ 27.85 (m/s)/s
Then decelerate under gravity for 5 seconds

This should satisfy the results

dont have excel in the exam :)

ryanbersa said:
y1 = 128a
v= 16a

then

y2=y1+v1(t)-1/2g(t)^2
5100=128a+16a(4)-1/2(9.8)(4)^2
5178=192a
27m/s=a ?
Good! (Except the units should be m/s^2.)

ryanbersa said:
and

Vf=Vi+a(t)
Vf=16a+9.8(4)
Vf=16(27)-9.8(4)
Vf=392.8
Good!

Phase 1 : accelerating under power for 15 seconds.
Phase 2 : decelerating unpowered for 5 seconds under gravity.

If you get the answer by mathematical means, you will know if your procedure is correct (because you have the answer) saving you further work.
You could post this enquiry on the mathematics section, you may get an improved response.
By the way the velocity at 5100 m is 368.8 m/s exactly, and an improved answer for the acceleration is
27.8533 (m/s)/s with the 3's recurring.

Ive based these calcs on inputting an arbitrary value for (phase 1) acceleration, then calculating the distance and velocity after 15 seconds (when the motor shuts down), this velocity is then used for the slowing by gravity stage (lasting 5 seconds) as the initial velocity.
Newtons equations of motion are used for both stages.
I altered the value for initial acceleration value until the distance was correct ( (trial and error)
The maths algorithm is beyond me, but it must exist or you wouldn't have been asked.
Hope this helps
Dean

dean barry said:
Phase 1 : accelerating under power for 15 seconds.
Phase 2 : decelerating unpowered for 5 seconds under gravity.
Those phases should be 16 and 4 seconds.

There's no need for trial and error. The math is straightforward, as ryanbersa has demonstrated.

oops, not reading the question properly, might as well use the algorithm again :
revised solutions (16 and 4 seconds)
acceleration = 26.9708333 (3's recurring)
final velocity (g at - 9.8 (m/s)/s) = 392.333 (3's recurring)

Related to Solving Acceleration Problem: Find Initial Accel & Vel @ 5100m

1. What is acceleration and how is it calculated?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

2. How do you find the initial acceleration and velocity at a given distance?

To find the initial acceleration and velocity at a given distance, you will need to use the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and s is the distance. You will also need to use the equation v = u + at, where t is the time taken to reach the given distance.

3. Can you solve for the initial acceleration and velocity without knowing the distance?

No, in order to solve for the initial acceleration and velocity, you will need to know the distance as it is a crucial component in the equations mentioned above.

4. What is the importance of solving acceleration problems in scientific research?

Solving acceleration problems is important in scientific research as it helps us understand the motion of objects and how different forces affect their movement. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.

5. Are there any real-life applications of solving acceleration problems?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of solving acceleration problems. For example, it can be used in designing vehicles and calculating their speed and acceleration, understanding the motion of celestial bodies in space, and predicting the path of projectiles in sports such as baseball and golf.