Solving algebraic equations that cannot be solved in radicals

• A
  • Thread starter Demystifier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radicals
In summary, there are certain algebraic equations that cannot be solved in radicals, but there are other methods for finding exact solutions. These include using modular functions and specialized functions such as generalized hypergeometric functions and theta functions. However, for most higher degree polynomials, it is difficult to find an exact solution and numerical methods may be necessary.
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
In general, algebraic equations cannot be solved in radicals (we know it, e.g., from the Galois theory). So how can we solve such equations? We can always solve them approximately on a computer, but that's not what I'm asking about. Is there an exact analytic method to solve at least some of algebraic equations that cannot be solved in radicals?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
With some guess work involved, one can factorise any polynomial as a product of first and second degree polynomials (over ##\mathbb R##, that is).

Obviously, if ##x^N-A## has roots, then they are simple to find. In general it is known, that most of the higher degree polynomials don't admit any kind of parametrised solution.

See "Beyond the quartic equation" by R. King for some techniques for higher order polynomials involving modular functions. Applying this theory is, as one might expect, very difficult.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes dextercioby, Demystifier and Delta2
I'm not sure what sort of answer you're looking for. Obvioously one could define a function f(n, c1, c2...) to be the n-th root of a set of polynomial coefficients, but that's almost certainly not what you want. And we know radicals won't work.

When I first learned DE, I recall the prof describing the various types of equations and the methods of attack. For algebraic ones, I expect the OP is interested in a similar cookbook so one can look at an equation and decide whether it can be solved exactly or a numerical solution is required,

Once in a Classical Mechanics class, there was a problem in the chapter on numerical solutions that posed a differential equation that was always solved numerically but one student found an exact solution which surprised the prof. Later it was found that the student had rediscovered an exact solution from a decades old CM book. Apparently, the equation lent itself to being solved numerically and hence the reason it was used in a chapter on numerical methods.

Likes Delta2
Vanadium 50 said:
I'm not sure what sort of answer you're looking for.
I mean solved in terms of some functions which are not made up only for the purpose of solving these equations. For example, @nuuskur mentioned modular functions, which is the kind of answer I'm looking for.

Likes jedishrfu

1. What are algebraic equations that cannot be solved in radicals?

Algebraic equations that cannot be solved in radicals are equations that cannot be written in terms of radicals (square roots, cube roots, etc.). These equations may involve variables raised to non-integer powers or may have complex solutions.

2. Why can't algebraic equations be solved in radicals?

The reason why some algebraic equations cannot be solved in radicals is because there is no general formula or method for finding the exact solutions. This is known as the Abel-Ruffini theorem.

3. How can I solve an algebraic equation that cannot be solved in radicals?

There are various methods for solving these types of equations, such as using numerical methods or approximation techniques. Another approach is to use special functions, such as the Lambert W function, to express the solutions.

4. Can all algebraic equations be solved in radicals?

No, not all algebraic equations can be solved in radicals. This is because there are certain types of equations, such as quintic equations (equations of degree 5), that cannot be solved using radicals.

5. Are there any real-life applications for solving algebraic equations that cannot be solved in radicals?

Yes, there are many real-life applications for these types of equations, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to model complex systems and predict their behavior.