Solving Aluminum Half Ring Current Density Problem

In summary: J = I/A = (0.671)/(0.000001692) = 396.7 amperes per square meter. This is the current density at r = 2 cm.To find the total current flowing through the half ring, we can use the formula I = J(A) = (396.7)(0.000001692) = 0.000671 amperes.And to find the total resistance between the two ends of the half ring, we can use the formula R = ρ(t/A) = (2.65 x 10^-8)(0.0045/0.
BradJohnson
1. Homework Statement
My cousin James asked me for help on this question and I was stumped.
There is an aluminum half ring that's inside radius is 1.8cm and outer radius is 2.3 cm. It has a thickness of 4.5mm and is at 20 degrees. The left side is at 47.5 microvolts and the right end is at 0 volts. I need to calculate the current density at radius r=2cm. The total current flowing. and the total resistance between the two ends of the half ring.

2. Homework Equations
mainly current density J=I/a

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I figure you have to use the alt form of current density J= (1/p)E and then integrate over the half ring for the rest. I am unsure though and any insight would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear James,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your question. I am happy to provide some insight and guidance on how to approach this problem.

Firstly, let's start by defining some variables:
- r = radius (in meters)
- t = thickness (in meters)
- V = voltage (in volts)
- I = current (in amperes)
- J = current density (in amperes per square meter)
- ρ = resistivity (in ohm-meters)

Now, let's look at the formula for current density: J = I/A, where A is the cross-sectional area of the material through which the current is flowing. In this case, we are dealing with a half ring, so we need to consider the cross-sectional area of the curved part of the ring.

To find the cross-sectional area of the half ring, we can use the formula for the area of a circular sector: A = (θ/360)πr^2, where θ is the central angle of the sector. In this case, the central angle is 20 degrees, so we get A = (20/360)π(0.023^2 - 0.018^2) = 0.000001692 m^2.

Next, we can use Ohm's Law to find the current flowing through the half ring. Ohm's Law states that V = IR, where R is the resistance of the material. In this case, the left side is at 47.5 microvolts (0.0000475 V) and the right side is at 0 volts, so the voltage difference is 0.0000475 V. We can use this voltage difference and the known values of r and t to find the resistance R using the formula R = ρ(t/A), where ρ is the resistivity of the material. The resistivity of aluminum is 2.65 x 10^-8 ohm-meters, so we get R = (2.65 x 10^-8)(0.0045/0.000001692) = 7.08 x 10^-5 ohms.

Now, we can use Ohm's Law again to find the current I: I = V/R = (0.0000475)/(7.08 x 10^-5) = 0.671 amperes.

Finally, we can use

As a scientist, my first step in solving this problem would be to gather all the necessary information and equations. From the given information, we know that the half ring is made of aluminum and has a thickness of 4.5mm. We also know the inner and outer radius, as well as the voltage at each end of the half ring. The equation for current density is also provided, J=I/a, where I is the current and a is the cross-sectional area.

Next, I would use the given voltage values to calculate the electric field, E, using the equation E=V/d, where V is the voltage and d is the thickness. In this case, d=4.5mm. Then, using the alternate form of current density, J= (1/p)E, where p is the resistivity of aluminum, I would calculate the current density at r=2cm.

To calculate the total current flowing, we can use the equation I=J*A, where A is the cross-sectional area of the half ring. This can be calculated by subtracting the area of the inner circle from the area of the outer circle. Finally, to calculate the total resistance between the two ends of the half ring, we can use the equation R=V/I, where V is the voltage difference between the two ends and I is the total current flowing.

In summary, to solve this problem, we need to use the equations for current density, electric field, and resistance, along with the given information about the half ring, to calculate the current density at r=2cm, the total current flowing, and the total resistance between the two ends of the half ring. I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Solving Aluminum Half Ring Current Density Problem

1. How do you calculate the current density in an aluminum half ring?

To calculate the current density in an aluminum half ring, you can use the formula J = I/πr2, where J is the current density, I is the current, and r is the radius of the half ring. This formula takes into account the circular shape of the half ring and the amount of current flowing through it.

2. What factors affect the current density in an aluminum half ring?

The current density in an aluminum half ring can be affected by several factors, including the amount of current flowing through it, the shape and size of the half ring, and the conductivity of the aluminum material. Changes in any of these factors can result in a change in the current density.

3. How can you optimize the current density in an aluminum half ring?

To optimize the current density in an aluminum half ring, you can adjust the shape and size of the half ring to maximize the surface area for current flow. Additionally, using a higher conductivity aluminum material can also increase the current density. It is important to also ensure that the amount of current flowing through the half ring is within its safe operating limits.

4. What are the potential risks of high current density in an aluminum half ring?

High current density can lead to overheating and melting of the aluminum material, which can pose a safety hazard. It can also cause damage to the electrical components connected to the half ring. It is important to carefully monitor and control the current density to prevent these risks.

5. How can computer simulations help in solving the aluminum half ring current density problem?

Computer simulations can be used to model and analyze the current flow and distribution in an aluminum half ring. This can help identify potential issues and optimize the design before physical testing. It can also provide valuable data and insights that can aid in solving the current density problem more efficiently and accurately.