Solving an Internal Indeterminate Truss Problem

In summary, an internal indeterminate truss is a structural system composed of interconnected bars or members that cannot have their forces determined solely by external loads. It differs from a determinate truss in that it is more complex and requires more advanced analysis methods. The advantages of using this type of truss include more efficient use of materials and higher load-carrying capacity, but its limitations include complexity and the need for advanced understanding and techniques. The forces within an internal indeterminate truss can be determined using methods such as the method of sections or joints, or through computer software programs.
fonseh

Homework Statement

In this problem , it's a Internal Indeterminate truss .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So , I remove one of the redundant member , AC and solve the problem .
For the first part , I found the real force first . for the second part , I apply the virtual unit force at AC ...I gt my ans = 2.28 , but the ans given is 1.62 . I have checked thru my working many time s, yet I still can't find my mistake , can someone help please??

Attachments

• 602.PNG
    602.PNG
    22.7 KB · Views: 413
  • 603.PNG
    603.PNG
    8.2 KB · Views: 408
  • DSC_0083.JPG
    DSC_0083.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 381
Physics news on Phys.org
Is my question not clear enough or i am posting at the wrong section ?

1. What is an internal indeterminate truss?

An internal indeterminate truss is a type of structural system that is composed of interconnected bars or members, typically made of metal or wood, that are subjected to external forces such as tension and compression. This type of truss is considered "indeterminate" because the forces within the truss cannot be determined solely by the external loads applied to it.

2. How is an internal indeterminate truss different from a determinate truss?

An internal indeterminate truss differs from a determinate truss in that the forces within the truss cannot be determined by using equations based solely on the external loads applied to it. This is because an internal indeterminate truss has more unknown forces than equations available to solve for those forces, making it a more complex structural system.

3. What are the advantages of using an internal indeterminate truss?

One of the main advantages of using an internal indeterminate truss is that it can provide a more efficient use of materials, as the forces within the truss can be distributed more evenly among the members. This can result in a lighter and more cost-effective structure. Additionally, an internal indeterminate truss can often have a higher load-carrying capacity compared to a determinate truss.

4. What are the limitations of using an internal indeterminate truss?

One limitation of using an internal indeterminate truss is that it can be more complex and time-consuming to analyze and design compared to a determinate truss. It also requires a more sophisticated understanding of structural mechanics and advanced mathematical techniques. Additionally, errors in the analysis or design process can have a greater impact on the structural integrity of the truss.

5. How can the forces within an internal indeterminate truss be determined?

There are several methods that can be used to determine the forces within an internal indeterminate truss, such as the method of sections, the method of joints, or the use of matrix analysis. These methods involve using a combination of equilibrium equations and compatibility equations to solve for the unknown forces within the truss. Computer software programs can also be used to analyze and design internal indeterminate trusses.