Displacement in external redundant truss

In summary, the author is trying to solve a problem involving a truss and determining which support force to take as the redundant force. They have already found all the member forces in the truss and are now trying to use a virtual force method to find the remaining forces. However, they are having trouble balancing the forces at joint C and have asked for help. It is determined that taking the horizontal support force at E as the redundant force is the correct approach, and it is noted that the loading and truss geometry are symmetrical. The author also asks for help with a separate question.
fonseh

Homework Statement

In this question , the author doesn't stated which direction ( either horozintal support of the pinned E or the vertical support force at pinned E to be selected as redundant ) . So , I tried this problem by applying the vertical force support at E as redundant .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done the step 1 , which is to find all the member force in the truss . ( The working is not shown here) .

However , I am having problem in part 2 , which is to find the member force by applying 1 unit load (virtual foce) ... By doing so , all the external force is removed and the new member forces are to be found .

I used ALTERNATIVE method to find the forces in the member . However , i can't balance the forces at joint C . What's wrong with my working ?

Attachments

• 618.PNG
    618.PNG
    11.5 KB · Views: 568
  • _20170408_213615.JPG
    _20170408_213615.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 441
Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot take the vertical force at E as the redundant force, because then the truss becomes unstable, since there must be a vertical force at E to balance moments about A.

Likes CivilSigma and fonseh
PhanthomJay said:
You cannot take the vertical force at E as the redundant force, because then the truss becomes unstable, since there must be a vertical force at E to balance moments about A.
So , the only way is to take the horizontal support force at E as redundant ?

fonseh said:
So , the only way is to take the horizontal support force at E as redundant ?
That is correct. It is also worthy to note that the loading and truss geometry are both very symmetrical, so one would expect equal vertical reactions at each support, and equal but opposite horizontal reactions, if non zero, at the supports.

Likes fonseh
PhanthomJay said:
That is correct. It is also worthy to note that the loading and truss geometry are both very symmetrical, so one would expect equal vertical reactions at each support, and equal but opposite horizontal reactions, if non zero, at the supports.
Thanks for your effort . Btw , can you help me with this question ?
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/moments-sign-convention-in-beam.910959/

1. What is displacement in external redundant truss?

Displacement in external redundant truss refers to the movement or deformation of a truss structure due to external forces acting upon it. This displacement can occur in the horizontal, vertical, or rotational directions.

2. How is displacement calculated in external redundant truss?

Displacement in external redundant truss is typically calculated using the principles of structural analysis, specifically the method of joints or method of sections. These methods use equations and calculations to determine the displacement of each truss member due to external forces.

3. Why is displacement important in external redundant truss?

Displacement in external redundant truss is important because it can affect the stability and safety of the structure. Excessive displacement can lead to structural failure, while carefully calculated displacement can help ensure the truss can withstand external loads without breaking or buckling.

4. What are the factors that affect displacement in external redundant truss?

The main factors that affect displacement in external redundant truss are the magnitude and direction of external forces, the stiffness and strength of the truss members, and the support conditions at the joints. Other factors such as temperature changes and material properties can also play a role.

5. How can displacement in external redundant truss be minimized?

Displacement in external redundant truss can be minimized by using stronger and stiffer materials for the truss members, optimizing the design and placement of the truss, and ensuring proper support and bracing at the joints. Structural analysis and simulation can also help identify potential displacement issues and allow for adjustments to be made before construction.