Finding Forces in Member AE & AB: Exam Follow-up

In summary, the conversation is about determining the member forces in a truss and whether there is an x component to the reaction force at a pin support. The person is specifically looking for the forces in members AE and AB and is questioning if their teacher made a mistake in correcting their work. They also realize their mistake in the direction of Fcd and how it affects their other answers.
Ricardo Moreno

Homework Statement

Determine all member forces and state if they are in tension or compression, in particular I am looking for member AE and AB[/B]
New Doc 2017-04-24_2.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

New Doc 2017-04-24_1.jpg

Ok so we are supposed to redo the problems from our exam, only I can't figure out how to find the forces in member AE and AB. I am wondering if my teacher made a mistake in correcting mine...

Also is it correct that there is no x component to the reaction force at A? The pin support is not bolted to the ground and we don't use friction in these problems so I did not add an Ax force. However now that I think about it, wouldn't this mean that the truss is moving? If there is an Ax force wouldn't that change the rest of my answers that were marked as correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I figured out my mistake Fcd should be negative from diagram C. This changes some of the rest of the answers, it looks like my teacher didn't mark me off for having the sign wrong but in any case I've figured it out.

1. How do you find forces in member AE and AB?

To find forces in member AE and AB, you can use the method of joints or method of sections. In the method of joints, you analyze the forces at each joint by considering the equilibrium of forces in the x and y directions. In the method of sections, you cut the structure at a specific section and analyze the forces acting on the cut section by considering the equilibrium of forces in the x and y directions.

2. What is the importance of finding forces in member AE and AB?

Finding forces in member AE and AB is important because it allows us to determine the structural stability and safety of the entire structure. It also helps in designing and optimizing the structure to withstand the expected loads and forces.

3. What factors affect the forces in member AE and AB?

The forces in member AE and AB are affected by the external loads acting on the structure, the type of support at each joint, and the geometry and material properties of the members.

4. Can the forces in member AE and AB change over time?

Yes, the forces in member AE and AB can change over time due to various factors such as changes in external loads, structural modifications, and deterioration of materials. It is important to regularly monitor and analyze the forces in a structure to ensure its safety and stability.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when finding forces in member AE and AB?

Some common mistakes to avoid when finding forces in member AE and AB include not considering all the external loads acting on the structure, not considering the effects of joint stiffness, and not correctly applying the equations of equilibrium. It is important to carefully analyze and double-check all calculations to avoid any errors.