Solving Calories Problem: Lose 6kg in 42 Days

• Thread starter Korisnik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calories
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between calorie intake and weight loss. The person wants to lose 6 kg in 42 days and calculates two possible solutions using the assumption that weight loss is proportional to calorie deficit. The first solution is to consume 1200 kcal daily, while the second solution suggests consuming 1050 kcal daily. However, the assumption is questioned as it is not explicitly stated that weight loss is proportional to calorie deficit. The correct solution is uncertain.
Korisnik

Homework Statement

By taking 'daily input' of 2200 kcal your body weight doesn't change. If you decide to lower your 'daily input' for 700 kcal, you will lose 100 grams a day. You want to lose 6 kg in the next 42 days. How big is your 'daily input' going to be?

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, I've solved this in two ways, and both give different solutions.

6000 grams are in 6 kilograms, so 6000 over 42 days I will keep as 6000/42.

1) 700 kcal : 100 g = x : 6000/42
x = 7*6000/42 = 42000/42 = 1000 kcal. Therefore the 'daily input' will be 1200 kcal (2200-1000).

2) 2200-700=1500 kcal.

x : 1500 kcal = 100 : 6000/42
x = 1500 * 100 * 42/6000
x = 1050 kcal. Therefore our 'daily input' will be 1050 kcal.

Obviously these answers don't match, so which answer is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
The implicit assumption is that the weight loss (or gain) is proportion to the deficit (or surplus) of calories input. So you want to work with relative amount, the 700kcal.

Hmm.. First we must find the correct equation.

One way to approach this is:

If you remove 700 kcal from your diet, you lose 100 grams.. If you remove 700*60kcal totally over n number of days (with n being sufficiently large), you lose 6kg.. That is 42000 kcal. Our n is equal to 42. Thus, you must divide 42000 by 42 to find how much less than 2200 kcal you have to consume.

42000/42 = 1000
And 2200 -1000 = 1200. Thus, your first answer is the correct one.

... Or, is it? I am writing this while watching a talk show. Go through my reasoning to try to understand why/why not this is correct...

Avatrin said:
Hmm.. First we must find the correct equation.

One way to approach this is:

If you remove 700 kcal from your diet, you lose 100 grams.. If you remove 700*60kcal totally over n number of days (with n being sufficiently large), you lose 6kg.. That is 42000 kcal. Our n is equal to 42. Thus, you must divide 42000 by 42 to find how much less than 2200 kcal you have to consume.

42000/42 = 1000
And 2200 -1000 = 1200. Thus, your first answer is the correct one.

... Or, is it? I am writing this while watching a talk show. Go through my reasoning to try to understand why/why not this is correct...
Your whole reasoning is summed up in the first sentence. Your (and mine) calculation is good, but doesn't make the answer correct.

The implicit assumption is that the weight loss (or gain) is proportion to the deficit (or surplus) of calories input.
No it's not. It specifically mentions 'daily input', therefore the meaning is the same... Although only reason why I'd choose 1) over 2) is because 700 kcal is mentioned, and not 1500.

I would first like to point out that weight loss is a complex process that is influenced by many factors, including genetics, hormones, and physical activity. Therefore, it is not accurate to assume that reducing calorie intake by a certain amount will result in a specific weight loss. It is important to approach weight loss in a healthy and sustainable manner, rather than focusing solely on numbers and quick fixes.

That being said, let's analyze the two solutions provided. In the first solution, a linear relationship is assumed between calorie intake and weight loss. However, this is not always the case as the body's metabolism can adapt and slow down in response to a decrease in calorie intake. Additionally, the assumption that 100 grams of weight loss will occur per day is not supported by scientific evidence.

In the second solution, a proportional relationship is assumed between calorie intake and weight loss. While this may be a more accurate approach, it is still oversimplified as it does not take into account individual differences in metabolism and other factors that can affect weight loss.

In conclusion, the correct answer cannot be determined based on the given information. It is important to consult a healthcare professional and develop a personalized and sustainable approach to weight loss. Additionally, incorporating regular physical activity and making healthy dietary choices are key factors in achieving and maintaining a healthy weight.

1. How many calories should I eat to lose 6kg in 42 days?

The number of calories you should consume to lose 6kg in 42 days depends on various factors such as your current weight, activity level, and metabolism. It is generally recommended to create a calorie deficit of 500-1000 calories per day to lose 1-2 pounds (0.5-1kg) per week. Therefore, to lose 6kg in 42 days, you should aim for a daily calorie deficit of 1000-2000 calories.

2. What types of food should I eat to achieve my weight loss goal?

To lose weight, it is important to focus on consuming whole, nutrient-dense foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains. These foods are low in calories but high in essential nutrients that can support your weight loss journey. Avoid highly processed foods and added sugars, as they can contribute to weight gain.

3. Do I need to exercise while following this plan?

While limiting your calorie intake is a crucial aspect of weight loss, incorporating exercise into your routine can greatly enhance your results. Exercise not only burns calories, but it also helps to increase muscle mass, boost metabolism, and improve overall health. Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate to vigorous exercise each day.

4. Is it safe to lose 6kg in 42 days?

The safety of losing 6kg in 42 days depends on your current health status and weight. Generally, a safe and sustainable rate of weight loss is 0.5-1kg per week. Losing weight too quickly can lead to health complications and may not be sustainable in the long run. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any weight loss plan.

5. Can I continue this plan after 42 days to lose more weight?

Yes, you can continue this plan after 42 days to lose more weight. However, it is important to reassess your calorie needs and make adjustments as you progress towards your weight loss goal. It is also recommended to take breaks in between to prevent burnout and to maintain a healthy relationship with food and exercise.