Solving Deceleration on an Inclined Road

In summary, the question is asking for the deceleration of a car on an inclined road and we are given the information that it can decelerate at -4.80 m/s2 without skidding on a level road. Using the equation Ff=\muSFN, we can set up the sum of forces equation and solve for the deceleration. The only unknown in the equation is the force of push (Fp) which may or may not be present in this scenario.
iRaid
Quick PLEASE help :(

Homework Statement

A car can decelerate at -4.80 m/s2 without skidding when coming to rest on a level road. What would its deceleration be if the road were inclined at 13[tex]\circ[/tex] uphill? Assume the same static friction coefficient.

Homework Equations

Ff=[tex]\mu[/tex]SFN

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I can't find anyway to even start can someone head me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org

I think I got some of it:
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F=ma
Ff+FN-Fg-Fp=ma
Ff+FN-ma-Fp=ma
+ma both sides and +Fp
Ff+FN=2ma+Fp
[tex]\mu[/tex]sFN+FN=2ma+FpNow I'm wondering if there is actually Fp for the car or not (force of push). Would there still be a pushing force of the car when decelerating?
Stuck there now :\

Related to Solving Deceleration on an Inclined Road

1. What is deceleration on an inclined road?

Deceleration on an inclined road refers to the decrease in speed or velocity of an object as it travels up or down an inclined surface. This is due to the force of gravity acting on the object and the slope of the road.

2. How is deceleration calculated on an inclined road?

Deceleration on an inclined road can be calculated using the formula a = gsinθ, where a is the deceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of inclination of the road.

3. How does the angle of inclination affect deceleration on an inclined road?

The angle of inclination of the road directly affects the deceleration of an object. The steeper the incline, the greater the deceleration, as there is a stronger force of gravity acting on the object.

4. What factors can affect deceleration on an inclined road?

Apart from the angle of inclination, other factors that can affect deceleration on an inclined road include the mass and shape of the object, the surface of the road, and any external forces acting on the object.

5. How can deceleration on an inclined road be reduced?

Deceleration on an inclined road can be reduced by decreasing the angle of inclination, using friction to slow down the object, or by increasing the mass of the object. Additionally, using a vehicle with better braking systems can also help reduce deceleration on an inclined road.