Solving Equation 15.43 Line 2 to 3 in Tevian Dray's Differential Forms

In summary, the conversation discusses the equality implied in the move from equation 15.43 line 2 to line 3. The speaker struggles to understand Dray's book, but writing about their mistake helps them see it. They also mention a potential minus sign that can arise when applying the product rule for the exterior derivative of a product of two forms.
gnnmartin
TL;DR Summary
In 15.43 he implies dα ∧ β = β ∧ dα where α,β are one forms.
I expected dα ∧ β = −β ∧ dα. Am I misreading the text, or have I simply lost the plot?
The equality is implied in the move from equation 15.43 line 2 to line 3.

I do find Dray's book is admirably clear and absolutely says something I wish to understand, but my 78 year old brain has difficulty. However, in this case I can be precise about where I fail to follow.

Oh! I find after all, writing this has enabled me to see my mistake, but I'll post the question all the same so that some kind person can confirm where I went wrong. If α is a one form, dα is a two form, so dα ∧ β = −−β ∧ dα = β ∧ dα.

Likes Dale
Physics news on Phys.org
Note that ##d\alpha## is a 2-form if ##\alpha## is a 1-form. In general, if ##\omega## and ##\eta## are ##p##- and ##q##-forms, respectively, then
$$
\omega\wedge\eta = (-1)^{p q} \eta \wedge\omega.
$$

Here you have ##p=2## and ##q=1## so ##(-1)^{p q} = (-1)^2 = +1##.

gnnmartin said:
Oh! I find after all, writing this has enabled me to see my mistake, but I'll post the question all the same so that some kind person can confirm where I went wrong. If α is a one form, dα is a two form, so dα ∧ β = −−β ∧ dα = β ∧ dα.
Indeed.

Likes vanhees71
Thanks.

Comment regarding a somewhat different but related issue that someone reading this in the future might also encounter:

Note that the exterior derivative of the product ##\omega \wedge \eta## also has a potential minus sign popping up when applying the product rule:
$$
d(\omega\wedge\eta) = (d\omega) \wedge \eta + (-1)^p \omega \wedge d\eta
$$

Likes vanhees71
Orodruin said:
Comment regarding a somewhat different but related issue that someone reading this in the future might also encounter:

Note that the exterior derivative of the product ##\omega \wedge \eta## also has a potential minus sign popping up when applying the product rule:
$$
d(\omega\wedge\eta) = (d\omega) \wedge \eta + (-1)^p \omega \wedge d\eta
$$
Thanks, yes, it was not immediately obvious to me, but given the prompt I can see it.

1. What is the purpose of solving Equation 15.43 Line 2 to 3 in Tevian Dray's Differential Forms?

The purpose of solving this equation is to find a solution to a problem or to understand the relationship between different variables in a mathematical system. In this case, it is specifically related to understanding differential forms in mathematics.

2. Why is Tevian Dray's Differential Forms important in mathematics?

Tevian Dray's Differential Forms is important in mathematics because it provides a powerful tool for understanding and solving problems in differential geometry, differential equations, and other areas of mathematics. It also has applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

3. What are the steps involved in solving Equation 15.43 Line 2 to 3 in Tevian Dray's Differential Forms?

The steps involved in solving this equation may vary depending on the specific problem and the approach used. Generally, it involves identifying the variables and their relationships, applying mathematical operations and principles, and using techniques such as integration or differentiation to find a solution.

4. How does solving Equation 15.43 Line 2 to 3 in Tevian Dray's Differential Forms contribute to scientific research?

Solving this equation can contribute to scientific research by providing a better understanding of the underlying principles and relationships in a system, which can then be applied to real-world problems and phenomena. It can also lead to the development of new theories and models that can advance scientific knowledge.

5. What are some challenges scientists may face when solving Equation 15.43 Line 2 to 3 in Tevian Dray's Differential Forms?

Some challenges that scientists may face when solving this equation include complex mathematical concepts, limited data or information, and the need for specialized software or tools. It may also require a deep understanding of differential forms and related mathematical concepts, which can be challenging for those who are not familiar with the field.