Solving equation with 2 variables. (time sensitive)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Mywork5000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variables
In summary, the problem given is about Ashlee selling beaded jewelry for $6 per bracelet and $12 per necklace. The total earnings are $168. The first problem asks to write an equation to model the situation. The second problem asks to solve for the number of necklaces sold, represented by "b". The correct equation is 6(a) + 12(b) = 168. To solve for "b", one must isolate it on one side of the equation, which leads to the solution b = 14 - .5(a). However, without another equation, we cannot get a unique solution and can only conclude that the possible solutions are (a,b) = (0,14), (2,13), (
Mywork5000
i am a 50 year old man, lovingly arguing with my 12 year old niece who has an algebra word problem. we're stumped (I'M stumped) -- and would love to get some help. CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME SOLVE THIS "2 VARIABLE" PROBLEM ASAP (need it by 6am pacific time on 10/7/14). thanks! PROBLEM: Ashlee makes beaded jewelry. She charges 6dollars for a bracelet and 12dollars for a necklace. She earned $168. Let "a" equal the number of bracelets and "b" equal the number of necklaces.
Problem #1: write an equation to model the situation.
Problem #2: Solve for "b".

re #1, my answer is: 6(a) + 12(b) = 168. (correct?)
re #2, I'm stumped. the way I'm TRYING to solve is to isolate "b" (aka, the number of necklaces she sold) on one side of the equation. I'm going like this:
step 1: 6(a) + 12(b) = 168
step 2: divide all groups by 12, giving me
step 3: .5(a) + b = 14. then
step 4: b = 14 - .5(a)
at this point, i hit a wall.
my niece says it can't be answered. i say, they wouldn't put it in the book if it couldn't be answered. THOUGHTS? THANKS!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your work is correct...I get:

\(\displaystyle b=\frac{28-a}{2}\)

which is equivalent to your solution.

Now, since we are not given another equation, such as the total number of items Ashlee sold, we cannot get a unique solution, however, we know b must be a whole number, so we then conclude that the only possible solutions are:

\(\displaystyle (a,b)=(0,14),\,(2,13),\,(4,12),\,(6,11),\,(8,10),\,(10,9),\,(12,8),\,(14,7),\,(16,6),\,(18,5),\,(20,4),\,(22,3),\,(24,2),\,(26,1),\,(28,0)\)

But, I suspect they are not asking for the possible solutions, just for $b$ in terms of $a$, which you correctly found.

mark. thank you for your stab at this. glad to hear that I'm not the only one coming to that conclusion! much appreciated.
MarkFL said:
Your work is correct...I get:

\(\displaystyle b=\frac{28-a}{2}\)

which is equivalent to your solution.

Now, since we are not given another equation, such as the total number of items Ashlee sold, we cannot get a unique solution, however, we know b must be a whole number, so we then conclude that the only possible solutions are:

\(\displaystyle (a,b)=(0,14),\,(2,13),\,(4,12),\,(6,11),\,(8,10),\,(10,9),\,(12,8),\,(14,7),\,(16,6),\,(18,5),\,(20,4),\,(22,3),\,(24,2),\,(26,1),\,(28,0)\)

But, I suspect they are not asking for the possible solutions, just for $b$ in terms of $a$, which you correctly found.

1. How can I solve an equation with 2 variables?

To solve an equation with 2 variables, you will need to use algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination. You will also need to have at least 2 equations to solve for the 2 variables.

2. Can I solve an equation with 2 variables if one of the variables is missing?

No, in order to solve an equation with 2 variables, you need to have both variables present in the equation. If one of the variables is missing, you will not be able to find a unique solution to the equation.

3. What is the importance of solving equations with 2 variables?

Solving equations with 2 variables allows us to find the relationship between two quantities and determine a unique solution that satisfies both equations. This is useful in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

4. How do I know if my solution to an equation with 2 variables is correct?

You can check your solution by substituting the values back into the original equations and ensuring that both equations are satisfied. If the equations are not satisfied, then your solution is incorrect and you may need to rework your steps.

5. Is there a specific order in which I need to solve equations with 2 variables?

There is no specific order in which you need to solve equations with 2 variables. However, it is recommended to start by eliminating one variable and then solving for the other. You can then substitute the value of one variable into the other equation to find the value of the remaining variable.