Solving Exponential Differential Equations with Initial Conditions

In summary, the equation y'[t]+0.2y[t]=Sin[t] has y[0]=15.3 and is equivalent to the original equation, but you need to come up with a formula for y[t]
Gspace

Homework Statement

Here is the question: solve y'[t]+0.2y[t]=Sin[t] with y[0]=15.3

How do I come up with a formula for y[t]?

Thanks in advance!

Homework Equations

y[t]= starter+e^-rt

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to solve the equation as is. After doing some algebra, y[t]=15.3e^-0.2 and when put back into the original equation ( y'[t]+0.2y[t]=Sin[t]), and taking y'[t], I get 0 on the LHS of the equation which doesn't equal sin[t]. I know that isn't right. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to look at this in two parts:
The complementary solution to the homogeneous equation y' + 0.2y = 0. (Call this yc.)

A particular solution to the nonhomogeneous equation y' + 0.2y = sin(t). (Call this yp.)

For yc, you should have yc = c1e-.2t.

For the particular solution, try yp = Asin(t) + Bcos(t). Substitute this into your differential equation so that you can find the coefficients A and B.

The general solution is y = yh + yp. The initial condition can be used to get c1.

Would yp= y'[t]+0.2y[t]-sin[t]= Asin(t) + Bcos(t)?

You could also note that e.2t is an integrating factor. Multiply the equation through by that and integrate both sides of the resulting equation from 0 to t.

Gspace said:
Would yp= y'[t]+0.2y[t]-sin[t]= Asin(t) + Bcos(t)?
No.
y' + .2y - sin(t) [itex]\equiv[/itex] 0 for any solution of the original differential equation.
yp [itex]\neq[/itex] 0, nor is Asin(t) + Bcos(t).

Ok. So, y'[Asin(t) + Bcos(t)]+0.2y[Asin(t) + Bcos(t)]=sin[t]?

Your notation is off a bit, but I understand what you're trying to say, which is this:
d/dt(Asin(t) + Bcos(t)) + 0.2(Asin(t) + Bcos(t)) = sin(t)

The equation above has to be identically true; i.e., true for all values of t. For this reason, the coefficients of the sine and cosine terms on the left have to be equal to the same coefficients on the right.

Mark44,

So, I can chose whatever co-effiecients I want?...to test it.

For A and B? No, you have to solve for them. See what I said in post #7.

Mark44,

That helped. Thanks. What changes when the differential equation is

(y^\[Prime])[t]= - 0.2 y[t] + Sin[t] with y[0]=15.3 and I need to come up with the

formula for y[t]?

Nothing changes. This equation is equivalent to the one on your OP, and the initial condition is the same, too.

Why do you write y' in such a complicated form? I.e., (y^\[Prime])[t]. This is much simpler as y' or y'(t).

I'm just hijacking this old thread for a second, sorry in advance

[tex]t[/tex]

\(\displaystyle t\)

Related to Solving Exponential Differential Equations with Initial Conditions

What is an exponential differential equation?

An exponential differential equation is a type of mathematical equation that involves a variable raised to a power, where the exponent is a function of the independent variable. It is used to model situations where the rate of change of a quantity is proportional to the quantity itself.

What is the general form of an exponential differential equation?

The general form of an exponential differential equation is dy/dx = k*y, where k is a constant and y is the dependent variable. This means that the rate of change of y is directly proportional to y itself.

How are exponential differential equations solved?

Exponential differential equations can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, substitution, and integrating factors. The specific method used depends on the form of the equation.

What are some real-world applications of exponential differential equations?

Exponential differential equations have many applications in fields such as physics, biology, economics, and finance. They can be used to model population growth, radioactive decay, and compound interest, among others.

What are the properties of exponential differential equations?

Some of the properties of exponential differential equations include having a constant coefficient, being non-linear, and having a unique solution for a given initial condition. They also exhibit exponential growth or decay.