Solving for Inverse of a Complex Matrix with Cayley-Hamilton Theorem

• Thread starter Delta what
  • Start date
In summary: Multiplying the first row by i and the third row by -1 does not change the rank of the matrix.Yes.More elementary, if I understand your notation, then if you multiply the second row by i, and then add that to the first row you see that the matrix is singular. Multiplying the first row by i and the third row by -1 does not change the rank of the matrix.
Delta what

Homework Statement

I have matrix F=(11,1, -i1,2, i2,1, 12,2)
I calculated the characteristic polynomial to be x2-2x
The question is to find the inverse of F

Homework Equations

I am having a hard time trying to get the inverse out of this. I am used to dealing with real matrices so this may be the source of my error. I have done these with the usual case being that there was a constant term in the polynomial which one could get on the other side of the equality and get the inverse easily.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am ending up with something like X2=2x and then multiplying by x-1 and ending up with x=2. What am I missing here?

Side note (new guy question) could someone point me into the direction of an explanation of how to do math notation of this forum such as matrices and similar?

Physics news on Phys.org
Delta what said:

Homework Statement

I have matrix F=(11,1, -i1,2, i2,1, 12,2)
I calculated the characteristic polynomial to be x2-2x
The question is to find the inverse of F

Homework Equations

I am having a hard time trying to get the inverse out of this. I am used to dealing with real matrices so this may be the source of my error. I have done these with the usual case being that there was a constant term in the polynomial which one could get on the other side of the equality and get the inverse easily.

I am ending up with something like X2=2x and then multiplying by x-1 and ending up with x=2. What am I missing here?

Side note (new guy question) could someone point me into the direction of an explanation of how to do math notation of this forum such as matrices and similar?

If the characteristic polynomial is ##c(x)= x^2 - 2x## the eigenvalues are ##\lambda_1 = 0## and ##\lambda_2 = 2##. Since one of the eigenvalues is zero the matrix does not have an inverse.

Ray Vickson said:
If the characteristic polynomial is ##c(x)= x^2 - 2x## the eigenvalues are ##\lambda_1 = 0## and ##\lambda_2 = 2##. Since one of the eigenvalues is zero the matrix does not have an inverse.
Thank you for the help!

Also on the side note I found that LaTeX is used to write in various notations.

Delta what said:

Here's a LaTeX FAQ: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

The Cayley-Hamilton theorem tells you ##F^2 = 2F##. When you multiplied by ##F^{-1}##, you assumed the inverse exists, and this assumption leads to the conclusion that ##F=2I##, which clearly contradicts what you started with. Therefore, you would conclude that the assumption was wrong. ##F^{-1}## doesn't exist.

vela said:
Here's a LaTeX FAQ: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

The Cayley-Hamilton theorem tells you ##F^2 = 2F##. When you multiplied by ##F^{-1}##, you assumed the inverse exists, and this assumption leads to the conclusion that ##F=2I##, which clearly contradicts what you started with. Therefore, you would conclude that the assumption was wrong. ##F^{-1}## doesn't exist.
Thank you for your help vela!

Ray Vickson said:
OK. An easy way to see it is to note that the product of the eigenvalues equals the determinant; see, eg.,
http://math.stackexchange.com/quest...-a-is-equal-to-the-product-of-its-eigenvalues
for a simple proof.

So, if 0 is an eigenvalue the determinant of the matrix equals 0 ==> not invertible.
Little bit of a different question but pertains to the same matrices. If i have a eigenvalue of zero can i still use that as a value in my diagonal matrix?

Delta what said:
Little bit of a different question but pertains to the same matrices. If i have a eigenvalue of zero can i still use that as a value in my diagonal matrix?
Yes.

More elementary, if I understand your notation, then if you multiply the second row by i, and then add that to the first row you see that the matrix is singular.

What is the Cayley-Hamilton theorem?

The Cayley-Hamilton theorem is a fundamental theorem in linear algebra that states every square matrix satisfies its own characteristic equation. This means that a square matrix can be uniquely expressed as a polynomial of its own eigenvalues.

Who discovered the Cayley-Hamilton theorem?

The theorem was independently discovered by two mathematicians, Arthur Cayley and William Rowan Hamilton, in the mid 1800s.

What is the significance of the Cayley-Hamilton theorem?

The Cayley-Hamilton theorem has many important applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to simplify calculations involving matrices, solve systems of linear equations, and prove other theorems in linear algebra.

Can the Cayley-Hamilton theorem be applied to non-square matrices?

No, the theorem only applies to square matrices. However, there are similar theorems for non-square matrices, such as the Moler-Nash theorem.

How is the Cayley-Hamilton theorem used in real-world applications?

The Cayley-Hamilton theorem has applications in fields such as control theory, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. It is used in the design of feedback control systems, digital signal processing algorithms, and quantum computing algorithms.