Solving for <p>, <x> and <x^2> using raising and lowering operators

In summary, the problem asks to show that the expectation values for position and momentum, <x> and <p>, are equal to 0. The hint suggests using orthogonality and the raising and lowering operators, A+ and A-, in the solution. However, the problem does not specify which state to compute the expectation values for, making the statement misleading. It is only true for energy eigenstates, not for linear combinations of energy eigenstates containing adjacent energy states.
njdevils45

Homework Statement

A) Show that <x>=<p>=0
hint: use orthogonality
B) Use the raising and lowering operators to evaluate an expression for < x2 >

Homework Equations

d60319a2d0031cbc5dcae0218b0668ad.png

Also A- and A+ will definitely come in handy

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried setting up the equations for <x> and <p> but I don't know how the operators are meant to be used in this scenario. I think that the integral is meant to be set up as ∫eq1*xop*the general equation for ψn for a harmonic oscillator, however whatever I do I can't get the math to come out to 0 in the end for either.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this the entire problem exactly as stated? Clearly it is possible to find states such that ##\langle x\rangle \neq 0## and the same for ##\langle p\rangle##.

Yes that's the entire problem

Thereis no mention of what state you should compute the expectation values for?

None at all. That's why I'm confused, I might just ask the professor for help on the setup to be honest

If the state is not mentioned the problem statement is misleading at best. Now, it is true for the energy eigenstates so this is presumably the missing assumption. It is generally not true for linear combinations of energy eigenstates that contain adjacent energy states.

What is the purpose of using raising and lowering operators when solving for

, , and ?

The purpose of using raising and lowering operators is to simplify the process of solving for

, , and in quantum mechanics. These operators allow us to easily manipulate and solve equations involving momentum and position operators.

How do raising and lowering operators work in solving for

, , and ?

Raising and lowering operators are mathematical operators that act on quantum states to change their properties. They are defined in terms of the momentum and position operators and can be used to raise or lower the eigenvalues of these operators. By using these operators, we can solve for

, , and in a more efficient manner.

Can raising and lowering operators be used for any quantum system?

Yes, raising and lowering operators can be used for any quantum system. They are a fundamental tool in quantum mechanics and can be applied to various systems, such as atoms, molecules, and particles.

Are there any limitations to using raising and lowering operators for solving

, , and ?

While raising and lowering operators are powerful tools in quantum mechanics, they do have some limitations. They are only applicable for systems with discrete energy levels and cannot be used for continuous systems. Additionally, the operators may not always give exact solutions and may require further calculations or approximations.

Can raising and lowering operators be used to solve for other quantum properties besides

, , and ?

Yes, raising and lowering operators can be used to solve for other quantum properties besides

, , and . They can be defined in terms of other quantum operators, such as spin or angular momentum, and can be used to manipulate and solve for these properties as well.