Lowering Operator Simple Harmonic Oscillator n=3

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the result predicted by Equation (5.6.22) when applying the lowering operator A- to the n=3 harmonic oscillator wavefunction. It is mentioned that the expression for A- may not be correct due to mismatched dimensions. It is suggested that the α in the denominator should be in a square root and the α next to the "x" should not be raised to the 2nd power. The person plans to try again with the correct expression.
njdevils45

Homework Statement

Show that application of the lowering Operator A- to the n=3 harmonic oscillator wavefunction leads to the result predicted by Equation (5.6.22).

Homework Equations

Equation (5.6.22): A-Ψn = -iΨn-1√n
44d1fb5027cfe37d94647cb9cc8aca03.png

a4f0e84d3e39a5e236bd42968c90af62.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I began by saying what the answer should end up becoming. I said that in the end I should get -iΨ2√3 and that Ψ2 was equal to the equation I have above. Then I took the equation for Ψ3 and applied the lowering operator to it in an attempt to get what the prediction is. However, once I applied the lowering operator, I end up getting stuck after taking the derivatives and I get something that looks absolutely nothing like the prediction. I'm confident I took the derivatives correct though since they were never really complicated to begin with. I'm just wondering if maybe my setup is incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your expression for the lowering operator ##A^-## is not quite right. If you check the dimensions of ##\frac{d}{dx}## and ##\alpha^2 x## you will find that these two expressions don't have the same dimensions if ##\alpha## is defined as ##\frac{m \omega}{\hbar}##. There is a simple fix for this. If that's not the source of your difficulty, then it would help to see the details of your work.

I'll be honest I found these equations from online. None of them were given to me in the problem, it just expects me to either know the equations or look them up. I guess it's possible I'm using the wrong lowering operator. Is it possible that the α in the denominator should be in a square root and the α next to the "x" should not be raised to the 2nd power?

njdevils45 said:
I guess it's possible I'm using the wrong lowering operator. Is it possible that the α in the denominator should be in a square root and the α next to the "x" should not be raised to the 2nd power?
Yes, that's right.

Ok great! In that case I'll try again thursday when I have time. Thank you!

1. What is a Lowering Operator for a Simple Harmonic Oscillator with n=3?

A lowering operator for a simple harmonic oscillator with n=3 is a mathematical operator that can be used to lower the energy of the oscillator by one unit. It is typically represented by the symbol "a" and is used to calculate the energy eigenstates of the oscillator.

2. How is the Lowering Operator used in the Simple Harmonic Oscillator with n=3?

The Lowering Operator is used in the Simple Harmonic Oscillator with n=3 to find the energy eigenstates of the oscillator. It works by acting on the wave function of the oscillator, lowering its energy by one unit and creating a new wave function with a lower energy state.

3. What is the relationship between the Lowering Operator and the Simple Harmonic Oscillator with n=3?

The Lowering Operator is a fundamental part of the Simple Harmonic Oscillator with n=3. It is used to calculate the energy levels and wave functions of the oscillator, and it plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of the oscillator.

4. How does the Lowering Operator affect the energy levels of the Simple Harmonic Oscillator with n=3?

The Lowering Operator affects the energy levels of the Simple Harmonic Oscillator with n=3 by lowering the energy of the oscillator by one unit. This results in a decrease in the energy levels of the oscillator, with each successive application of the operator.

5. Why is the Lowering Operator important in studying the Simple Harmonic Oscillator with n=3?

The Lowering Operator is important in studying the Simple Harmonic Oscillator with n=3 because it allows us to calculate the energy eigenstates and understand the behavior of the oscillator. It also helps us to solve problems related to the oscillator and make predictions about its behavior in different situations.