Solving for temperature using Wiens Law

In summary, the conversation discusses using Wien's Law to calculate the temperature of a blackbody with a peak wavelength of 2x10^-6m. The equation λpeak = 2.898x10^-3/T is used, resulting in a temperature of 1449 Kelvin. There was initially some confusion about whether a different equation was needed, but it was determined that the previous answer was correct.
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

A blackbody has a peak wavelength of 2x10^-6m , use the wavelength form of Wiens Law to calculate its temperature

Homework Equations

[tex]
\lambda_{peak}=\frac{hc}{5kT} \\
I_{\lambda}=\frac{2hc^2}{\lambda^5(e^{hc/ \lambda kT}-1)}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was not sure what equation to use but from the lecture booklet the two above are the only ones with temperature in them, the second one doesn't give me enough information as I don't know [itex]I_{\lambda}[/itex], however my answer just doesn't seem correct to me.

[tex]
\lambda_{peak}=\frac{hc}{5kT} \\
2×10^{-6}=\frac{(6.626×10^{-34})(2.997×10^8)}{5(1.38×10^{-23})T} \\
2×10^{-6}=\frac{1.986×10^{-25}}{(6.98×10^{-23})T} \\
T(6.98×10^{-23})(2×10^{-6})=1.986×10^{-25} \\
T(1.396×10^{-28})=1.986×10^{-25} \\
T=\frac{1.986×10^{-25}}{1.396×10^{-28}}=1422K
[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is an equation that you are missing that you need to use, it turns this into a 1 step problem. Wien's Law relates the peak wavelength to the objects temperature like so:

λpeak = [itex]\frac{.29cmK}{T}[/itex]

Is that equation not given?

Likes 1 person
Legaldose said:
There is an equation that you are missing that you need to use, it turns this into a 1 step problem. Wien's Law relates the peak wavelength to the objects temperature like so:

λpeak = [itex]\frac{.29cmK}{T}[/itex]

Is that equation not given?

Ah, I think so yeah but there is no K on the top though, it is given as

[tex]
\lambda_{peak}=\frac{2.898×10^{-3}}{T}
[/tex]

Using that I get

[tex]
T=\frac{2.898×10^{-3}}{2×10^{-6}}= 1449 Kelvin\\
[/tex]

So it is roughly the same, so the previous answer must have been correct :) Thanks.

EDIT: Wow I have made some silly input errors today :)

Last edited:
Well the cmK was just supposed to be the units of the .29 :p

Likes 1 person
Legaldose said:
Well the cmK was just supposed to be the units of the .29 :p

Ah right, sorry :)

1. What is Wiens Law and how is it used to solve for temperature?

Wiens Law is an equation that describes the relationship between the wavelength of light emitted by an object and its temperature. It is commonly used in astronomy to determine the temperature of stars and other celestial bodies.

2. What is the formula for Wiens Law?

The formula for Wiens Law is T = b / λ, where T is the temperature in Kelvin, b is a constant value of 2.8977729 x 10^-3 m*K, and λ is the wavelength of light in meters.

3. Can Wiens Law be used to solve for temperature of any object?

No, Wiens Law can only be used to solve for the temperature of objects that emit thermal radiation, such as stars and planets. It cannot be used for non-thermal sources of light, such as incandescent bulbs or fluorescent lights.

4. How accurate is Wiens Law in determining temperature?

Wiens Law is a highly accurate method for determining the temperature of objects that emit thermal radiation. However, it assumes that the object is a perfect blackbody, which is not always the case in real-world scenarios. As a result, there may be slight variations in the calculated temperature.

5. Are there any limitations to using Wiens Law to solve for temperature?

Yes, there are a few limitations to using Wiens Law. As mentioned before, it assumes the object is a perfect blackbody, which may not always be the case. Additionally, Wiens Law only works for objects that are in thermal equilibrium, meaning they are not gaining or losing heat. This means it cannot be used to determine the temperature of objects that are actively heating up or cooling down.