Surface temperature of a star?

In summary, Vela found that the temperature of a star with a maximum emission wavelength of 1 μm is 2.9 million K.
JoAstro
moved into h/w help, so template is missing
I am trying to find the temperature of a star given its wavelength in micrometres, but I am not sure if my conversion is right therefore don't know if the answer is correct.

Star A has a maximum emission wavelength of 1 μm and Radius 100 Rsun. What is its Effective Temperature and Luminosity?

Where 109 is the μm → metre conversion.

1μm → 1000nm
So, 1000nm / 109m = 1×10-6m

Finding the Temperature:

T = 0.0029K m / λmax
T = 0.0029K m / 1×10-6m

T= 2.9×10-9 K → (how do I put this value into millions and not in scientific notation?)

Given the result and assuming it is correct we find the luminosity with the surface area and Stephan-Boltzman Law as shown below:

L= 4πR2 σT4 where σ is the Stephan-Boltzman constant.

My confusion here is, how do I plug the value of the Radius since I have it in Solar Radius?

Physics news on Phys.org
how do I put this value into millions and not in scientific notation?
... you subtract 6 from the exponent, or just write out all the zeros and remove six of them.
1 million is 1x106 ... the same as a "mega..."

My confusion here is, how do I plug the value of the Radius since I have it in Solar Radius?
You either multiply the number of solar radiuses you have been given by the value of one solar radius in more convenient units ... or use a value of the constant given in units of "per square solar radii".

JoAstro said:
I am trying to find the temperature of a star given its wavelength in micrometres, but I am not sure if my conversion is right therefore don't know if the answer is correct.

Star A has a maximum emission wavelength of 1 μm and Radius 100 Rsun. What is its Effective Temperature and Luminosity?

1μm → 1000nm
So, 1000nm / 109m = 1×10-6m

Finding the Temperature:

T = 0.0029K m / λmax
T = 0.0029K m / 1×10-6m

T= 2.9×10-9 K → (how do I put this value into millions and not in scientific notation?)

You might want to check your arithmetic here. 10-9 is not capable of being expressed in "millions". When the exponent is negative, the value of the number is less than 1.
Given the result and assuming it is correct we find the luminosity with the surface area and Stephan-Boltzman Law as shown below:

L= 4πR2 σT4 where σ is the Stephan-Boltzman constant.

You look up the value for the radius of the sun in meters and convert that number to the radius of your star. Did you really have to ask this question?

BTW, interesting fact. The surface temperature of blue giant stars rarely exceeds 30,000° K. Their luminosity is due primarily to their huge size.

Likes stephano .
JoAstro said:
T = 0.0029K m / 1×10-6m
You didn't plug this into your calculator correctly. Use the EE key or use parentheses appropriately. Or better yet, don't use a calculator.

Likes JoAstro
10-9 is not capable of being expressed in "millions".
Um ##10^{-9}## is ##10^{-15}## million ... though that would be a particularly cool star ;)

Off that I thought I'd go through the rest of the post more carefully and not just answer the questions.

JoAstro said:
Um, no: the metric exponents to prefixes go:
-3 milli
-6 micro
-9 nano
-12 pico

So 1m = 109nm and there are 1000nm in a ##\mu##m

You shift the decimal point 3 to the right every time you want to multiply by 1000 thus:
0.0029 K.m = 2.9K.mm = 2900K.##\mu##m = 2900000K.nm or 2.9 million K.nm

Likes JoAstro
Simon Bridge said:
You shift the decimal point 3 to the right every time you want to multiply by 1000 thus:
0.0029 K.m = 2.9K.mm = 2900K.##\mu##m = 2900000K.nm or 2.9 million K.nm

Hi Simon,

Thank you for your answer. I noticed I somehow managed to plug the value in the wrong way and get an incorrect answer as Vela says above.
However, I believe my conversion for micrometer to meters is wrong since the answer I get is -5.971 and that looks very weird to be a temperature value.

I know the "λmax" value has got to be in meters but not sure though what's the right procedure.

Your conversion from micrometers to meters is, indeed, wrong - I have pointed out the correct conversion above, in the metric prefixes list.
##\lambda_{max}## can be in any units of length - provided you adjust your equation appropriately.

There is no "right procedure" - just makes sure you get the relations right.

i.e. $$T=\frac{0.0029(\text{K.m})}{\lambda_{max}(\text{m})} = \frac{2.9(\text{K.mm})}{\lambda_{max}(\text{mm})} \cdots$$ ... it is often easier to adjust the constants in the equation than it is to put everything into base SI units.

But you can change everything into meters, kilograms, and seconds, if you want to.

1. What is the surface temperature of a star?

The surface temperature of a star refers to the temperature at the outermost layer of the star, known as the photosphere. This temperature can range from a few thousand degrees to over 50,000 degrees Celsius, depending on the type and age of the star.

2. How is the surface temperature of a star measured?

The surface temperature of a star is measured using a device called a spectrophotometer, which analyzes the spectrum of light emitted by the star. The intensity of different wavelengths of light can reveal the temperature of the star's surface.

3. What factors affect the surface temperature of a star?

The surface temperature of a star is primarily determined by its mass, age, and composition. Larger stars tend to have higher surface temperatures, while older stars have cooler surfaces. The chemical composition of the star's atmosphere can also impact its surface temperature.

4. How does the surface temperature of a star impact its lifespan?

The surface temperature of a star is a crucial factor in its lifespan. Higher surface temperatures result in more intense nuclear reactions, leading to a shorter lifespan. Cooler stars have less energy and therefore have longer lifespans.

5. Can we measure the surface temperature of stars outside of our solar system?

Yes, we can measure the surface temperature of stars outside of our solar system using the same methods as we do for stars within our solar system. With advancements in technology, we are now able to measure the surface temperature of stars located in distant galaxies.