Solving for tensile test(materials) in FEM software

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of solving for the stress-strain curve of a tensile test in materials science. The data provided includes d0, d, and L0, with additional information about the tools being used and the attempts at solving the problem. The speaker is asking for assistance in producing a numeric simulation and suggestions for changing settings or finding a tutorial on the topic.
jimep

Homework Statement

I have to solve for the stress-strain curve of a tensile test(materials science) given the following data:

d0 = 10 [mm]; d=9.925[mm] (average after d1' and d1'') and L0 = 100[mm];

I have already solved the problem and charted the diagrams. But I would be most grateful if someone would be able to assist me in producing the numeric simulation.

I am using Comsol 4.2 and the solid mechanics module. I've simplified the 3d model to a single cylinder of diameter 10[mm] and length of 100[mm]. I am applying a force of 11.39[kN] to both ends but the solver fails to complete and if I change some properties then it completes but the deformation does not show.

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems that I am unable to link images at the moment. If someone is interested I would be ok with messaging them links to the gui screenshots and my results.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If anyone could suggest what settings I should change or provide a link to a tutorial that would be highly appreciated.I've also tried to solve the problem using the Simple Beam Solver in Comsol but it fails as well.

Related to Solving for tensile test(materials) in FEM software

1. What is a tensile test in materials?

A tensile test is a mechanical test used to determine the strength and ductility of a material. It involves applying a pulling force (tension) to a material until it breaks, and measuring the amount of force required to break the material.

2. Why is it important to solve for tensile test in FEM software?

Solving for tensile test in FEM (Finite Element Method) software allows us to simulate and analyze the behavior of a material under different loading conditions. This helps in understanding the material's strength, stiffness, and failure mechanisms, which is crucial in designing and optimizing structures and components.

3. What is the FEM software used for solving tensile test?

There are various FEM software packages available, such as ANSYS, Abaqus, and COMSOL, which can be used to solve for tensile test in materials. These software use numerical methods to solve complex equations and simulate the behavior of materials under different loading conditions.

4. How is FEM used to solve for tensile test?

FEM software uses a meshing technique to divide a complex geometry into smaller, simpler elements. These elements are then connected together to form a mesh, and the material properties and boundary conditions are assigned to each element. The software then solves the equations for each element and calculates the overall behavior of the material under the applied load.

5. What are the benefits of using FEM software for solving tensile test?

Using FEM software for solving tensile test offers several benefits, such as accurate and detailed analysis of the material's behavior, ability to simulate different loading conditions, cost-effectiveness, and time-saving compared to physical testing. It also allows for optimization and design improvements before the actual material is tested, reducing the risk of failure and ensuring the material meets the desired specifications.