Solving for θ in a Parabolic Orbit

In summary, the conversation discusses a comet of mass m moving in a parabolic orbit in the ecliptic plane with a perihelion distance ρ and orbital distance Ro. The task is to find an expression for θ when the comet crosses the orbit of the Earth twice. The attempt at a solution involves using the conservation of angular momentum and the zero energy condition, but the solution is not clear. The solution is actually simple, as it involves using the semi latus rectum and the eccentricity of a parabola.
pelmel92

Homework Statement

A comet of mass m moves in a parabolic orbit in the ecliptic plane (the plane of Earth’s
orbit), so its perihelion distance ρ (its closest distance to the Sun) is less than Ro (the orbital distance of the Earth around the Sun) and occurs when θ = 0 for the comet. (The comet will cross the orbit of the Earth twice- once moving inward and once moving outward.) In terms of p and Ro, find an expression for θ at the two times when the comet crosses the orbit of the Earth. Assume: m << Msun.

Homework Equations

E = .5m(dr/dt)^2 + .5l^2/(μr^2) - GmM/r

where l is the angular momentum and μ is the reduced mass.

The Attempt at a Solution

Alrighty, so far I know that m is nothing in comparison to Msun, so μ≈m. At perihelion ρ, θ is zero, and dr/dt=0, so the velocity there Vmax = ρ(dθ/dt), and l = mrvsin(π/2)= mρ^2(dθ/dt). Plus, this being a parabolic orbit, E = 0.

I've been trying to put that all together given that l is conserved and E remains zero at all distances:

E = 0 = .5m(dθ/dt)^2 - GmM/ρ = .5m(dr/dt)^2 +.5m[ρ(dθ/dt)/Ro]^2 - GmM/Ro

but I end up with a bunch of dr/dt and dθ/dt variables that I can't figure out how to eliminate... I just don't see how I can isolate and solve for θ at Ro. It seems like my whole approach is probably wrong. :/

Any help from you good folk would be MUCH appreciated.

EDIT: Whoops this was actually super simple. I'd just forgotten that the semi latus rectum = 2p= Ro(1+εcosθ), and that epsilon for the parabola ia 1.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that your edit is correct, what ends up being the solution? I am working on the same problem, and I am lost myself as well! Some guidance would be wonderful! Thanks.

1. What is a comet in a parabolic orbit?

A comet in a parabolic orbit is a type of orbit that is shaped like a long, narrow parabola. This type of orbit is characterized by a comet traveling at a very high speed as it approaches the sun, making a single pass around the sun, and then traveling back out into space. Parabolic orbits are considered to be open orbits, meaning that the comet will not return to the same spot in space.

2. How does a comet enter a parabolic orbit?

Comets typically enter a parabolic orbit when they are first captured by the gravity of a larger body, such as a planet or star. As the comet approaches the larger body, it gains speed and its orbit becomes more elliptical. If the comet gains enough speed, it will enter a parabolic orbit and eventually fling back out into space.

3. What are the characteristics of a comet in a parabolic orbit?

A comet in a parabolic orbit is characterized by a highly eccentric and open orbit. It also has a high velocity, typically reaching speeds of thousands of kilometers per second as it approaches the sun. Additionally, these comets often have long, glowing tails due to the intense heat and radiation from the sun.

4. How long does a comet typically stay in a parabolic orbit?

The duration of a comet's stay in a parabolic orbit depends on various factors such as its initial speed, the gravitational pull of the larger body it is orbiting, and the angle of its trajectory. Generally, a comet can remain in a parabolic orbit for several years before being flung back out into space.

5. What is the significance of studying comets in parabolic orbits?

Studying comets in parabolic orbits can provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of our solar system. These comets are thought to be remnants from the early stages of our solar system and can provide information about the composition and conditions present at that time. Additionally, studying parabolic orbits can also help scientists better understand the dynamics of celestial bodies and their interactions with each other.