Solving for Time Given Acceleration & Initial Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of using equations to determine displacement when the only given quantity is acceleration. The question being discussed asks which equation would be most appropriate to use in this scenario, with the options being expressions for displacement with acceleration as one of the given quantities. It is suggested that a clearer question would specify which two quantities are known in addition to acceleration.
kara123
Homework Statement
Which equation would you use to determine the displacement of an object moving with uniform acceleration given a value for acceleration?
Relevant Equations
a. ∆d=vi∆t+(aav(∆t)^2)/2
b. Vf=Vi+aav∆t
c. ∆d=[(vf+vi)/2]∆t
d. vf^2 =vi^2+(2aav∆d)
assuming initial velocity is 0 and we have the value for acceleration I'm unsure how to still use any of those equations because you must have a time value at least or a final velocity

Physics news on Phys.org
You are thinking correctly. If the value of the acceleration is the only thing that you know, there is no way to determine the displacement.

Likes kara123
TSny said:
You are thinking correctly. If the value of the acceleration is the only thing that you know, there is no way to determine the displacement.
Although I agree with your assessment, I don't think that the author of the question meant to imply that the acceleration is the only given quantity. This looks like a question where one needs to show an understanding of what the equations say. Of the four choices, only two are expressions for displacement. Of these, only one has acceleration on the right-hand side.

A clearer statement of the question might have been
Which equation would you use to determine the displacement of an object moving with uniform acceleration if one of the given quantities is the value of the acceleration?

Likes kara123
kuruman said:
A clearer statement of the question might have been
Which equation would you use to determine the displacement of an object moving with uniform acceleration if one of the given quantities is the value of the acceleration?
You would still have the choice of expressing the displacement as a function of any two of initial velocity, current velocity and time.

Likes kara123

1. How do I calculate time given acceleration and initial velocity?

To calculate time given acceleration and initial velocity, you can use the formula t = (vf - vi) / a, where t is the time, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and a is the acceleration. Simply plug in the values for the variables and solve for t.

2. What units should I use for acceleration and velocity when solving for time?

Acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) and velocity is measured in meters per second (m/s). It is important to use consistent units when solving for time to ensure accurate results.

3. Can I use this formula to solve for time in any situation?

Yes, this formula can be used to solve for time in any situation where you have the initial velocity, final velocity, and acceleration. It is commonly used in physics and other scientific fields to calculate time in various scenarios.

4. What if I don't know the final velocity?

If you don't know the final velocity, you can still use the formula t = (vf - vi) / a to solve for time. You will just need to rearrange the formula to solve for vf first, using the formula vf = vi + at. Once you have the final velocity, you can then plug it into the original formula to solve for time.

5. Are there any other formulas I can use to solve for time given acceleration and initial velocity?

Yes, there are other formulas that can be used to solve for time in different scenarios. Some examples include the SUVAT equations, which are a set of five equations used to solve for various variables, including time, in motion problems. It is important to choose the appropriate formula based on the given information and the type of problem being solved.