How Do You Solve the Equation 4^(x-1) = 2^x + 8?

• Thread starter cmkluza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponent
In summary: Then you can use a substitution to write it as a quadratic in ##2^x##. Let ##\displaystyle u = 2^x \ ##. Then you get##\displaystyle \ u^2 - 4u - 32 = 0 \ ##.
cmkluza

Homework Statement

Solve the equation [itex] 4^{x-1} = 2^x + 8[/itex].

Homework Equations

Just algebra

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] 4^{x-1} = 2^x + 8[/itex]
[itex] 2^{2(x-1)} = 2^x + 2^3[/itex]
[itex] 2^{2x}2^{-2} = 2^x + 2^3 [/itex]
[itex] \frac{2^{2x}}{2^2} = 2^x + 2^3 [/itex]
[itex] 2^{2x} = 2^22^x + 2^5 [/itex]
[itex] 2^x2^x - 2^22^x = 2^5 [/itex]
[itex] 2^x(2^x - 2^2) = 2^5 [/itex]

I made a few jumps here and there in my work, but it should make sense. This is about as far as I get before I get stuck. My intuition is to try to get this down to two terms with the same base, 2, so I can just equate their powers, but I can't seem to get rid of any of the terms, so I'm not sure where to go from there. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but I can't see it at the moment. Do you have any tips on what a better angle to look at this problem from is? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to think this coming from the other end: what kinds of equations are you supposed to be able to solve ? linear, quadratic, goniometric. So perhaps one of these is carefully hidden in this exercise -- and the quadratic kind is the most likely candidate.
When you then realize that ##2^{2x} = (2^x)^2## and look at your line 3 with that knowledge ...

cmkluza said:

Homework Statement

Solve the equation [itex] 4^{x-1} = 2^x + 8[/itex].

Homework Equations

Just algebra

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] 4^{x-1} = 2^x + 8[/itex]
##4^{x - 1} = 4^x \cdot 4^{-1} = \frac 1 4 4^x##
Move all terms over to the left side, and multiply both sides by 4.
The equation is quadratic in form, and can be factored, as BvU suggests.
cmkluza said:
[itex] 2^{2(x-1)} = 2^x + 2^3[/itex]
[itex] 2^{2x}2^{-2} = 2^x + 2^3 [/itex]
[itex] \frac{2^{2x}}{2^2} = 2^x + 2^3 [/itex]
[itex] 2^{2x} = 2^22^x + 2^5 [/itex]
[itex] 2^x2^x - 2^22^x = 2^5 [/itex]
[itex] 2^x(2^x - 2^2) = 2^5 [/itex]

I made a few jumps here and there in my work, but it should make sense. This is about as far as I get before I get stuck. My intuition is to try to get this down to two terms with the same base, 2, so I can just equate their powers, but I can't seem to get rid of any of the terms, so I'm not sure where to go from there. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but I can't see it at the moment. Do you have any tips on what a better angle to look at this problem from is? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your help! I figured it out after realizing it made a quadratic and used the quadratic formula.

cmkluza said:
Thanks for your help! I figured it out after realizing it made a quadratic and used the quadratic formula.
Yes. the next to last equation in your OP
##\displaystyle \ 2^x2^x - 2^22^x = 2^5 \ ##​
can be written as
##\displaystyle \ \left(2^x\right)^2 - 4\cdot2^x = 32 \ ## .​

Related to How Do You Solve the Equation 4^(x-1) = 2^x + 8?

What is "x" in an exponent?

In an exponent, "x" represents the base number that is being multiplied by itself a certain number of times. It is the number that is raised to a power.

Why do we need to solve for x in an exponent?

Solving for x in an exponent allows us to find the value of the base number when the power is known. This is useful in many mathematical equations and real-life applications, such as compound interest and population growth.

How do we solve for x in an exponent?

To solve for x in an exponent, we use logarithms. The logarithm of a number is the power to which a given base must be raised to obtain that number. By taking the logarithm of both sides of an equation with an exponent, we can isolate and solve for x.

What are the properties of exponents?

The main properties of exponents include the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, and zero and negative exponents. These rules help us simplify and solve equations with exponents.

Can we solve for x in an exponent if the exponent is a variable?

Yes, we can solve for x in an exponent even if the exponent contains a variable. We use the same principles of logarithms to isolate and solve for x. However, in some cases, the solution may not be a specific number but a range of values depending on the value of the exponent.