Solving Freidman Equation on MATLAB

• Thread starter WoC1994
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, the conversation is about a student who needs help solving the Friedman Equation using MATLAB, but has limited computer programming skills and is struggling to understand it. The student is advised to try programming a simpler problem and provided with links to resources and past discussions on the topic. It is also emphasized that the student must show their own work and effort in order to receive help.
WoC1994
Homework Statement
I have to solve the Freidman Equation in a MATLAB live script (with adjustable sliders).
Relevant Equations
The Freidman Equation
I have to use MATLAB to solve the Freidman Equation and I have barely any computer programming language skills whatsoever. Is there anyone that can please help me solve the equation using MATLAB. I desperately need help in this area because my Professor won't show me how like he expects me to just know this computer programming stuff already with barely any prior experience. I've tried multiple tutorials already and I still don't get it. Please help!

This is the equation he wants me to work with.
1649618778729.png

1649618814389.png

1649618834935.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Sadly we cannot write your program for you. MATLAB is not a hard language to program in but of course its hard to learn if you've never studied any languages before.

One other thing I need to point out is that you need to show what you've done in your case posting your code and where you are stuck. We can provide hints or code snippets but its up to you to integrate our hints together and make it work. We can't write it or debug it for you but we can tell you how to do those things.

Perhaps if you try programming a simpler problem it would help get you going. The task you attempting to do is known as numerical integration. MATLAB has functions that can do those kinds of tasks if you provide the proper input values in a way analogous to doing the work by hand.

https://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/numerical-integration-and-differential-equations.html

We did have a similar question years ago (see thread below) with some code that might get you thinking how it might be done.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/matlab-friedmann-equations-help.249975/

and there's a website discussing how it could be done:

https://dournac.org/info/friedmann

My suggestion though is to study the examples and see how you can write your own as internet solutions may not do what you're looking for.

Last edited:
Likes PhDeezNutz and berkeman

1. What is the Friedman equation and why is it important?

The Friedman equation is a mathematical equation used in cosmology to describe the expansion of the universe. It relates the rate of expansion to the energy density of the universe. It is important because it helps us understand the evolution and behavior of the universe.

2. How can I solve the Friedman equation using MATLAB?

To solve the Friedman equation using MATLAB, you will need to use the built-in differential equation solvers such as ode45 or ode23. You will also need to define the necessary variables and parameters and then use the appropriate syntax to solve the equation.

3. What are the limitations of using MATLAB to solve the Friedman equation?

One limitation of using MATLAB to solve the Friedman equation is that it assumes a homogeneous and isotropic universe, which may not accurately reflect the actual conditions of the universe. Additionally, the accuracy of the solution may depend on the chosen numerical method and the resolution of the grid used.

4. Can I use MATLAB to solve the Friedman equation for different cosmological models?

Yes, you can use MATLAB to solve the Friedman equation for different cosmological models by changing the parameters and initial conditions in the equation. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of the solution may vary depending on the chosen model and the limitations of the numerical methods used.

5. Are there any alternative methods for solving the Friedman equation besides using MATLAB?

Yes, there are other methods for solving the Friedman equation, such as using analytical solutions or other programming languages like Python or Mathematica. However, MATLAB is a commonly used and efficient tool for solving differential equations and can produce accurate results with proper implementation and understanding of the equation.