Solving Gauss' Law Problem: Comparing Electric Field and Flux Magnitudes

In summary, based on the given information and Gauss' Law, the magnitude of the electrical flux through a cylindrical surface, 1 m long, (centered on the z-axis) with a radius of 1.5 cm is likely to be less than the magnitude of the electrical flux through a cylindrical surface, 1 m long, (centered on the z-axis) with a radius of 3.5 cm. The answer to the first question is C. The magnitude of the electric field at 4.5 cm from the z-axis is likely to be greater than the magnitude of the electric field at 2.5 cm from the z-axis. The answer to the second question is C. Finally, the magnitude of the
TwinGemini14
An infinite line charge lies on the z-axis with l = 2 µC/m. Coxaial with that line charge are: an infinite conducting shell (with no net charge) with thickness 1 cm and with inner radius 2 cm and outer radius 3 cm, an infinite shell with a radius of 4 cm and with a net charge of -5 µC/m, and another infinite conducting shell (with no net charge) with a thickness of 1 cm and with an inner radius of 5 cm and outer radius of 6 cm. A cross sectional view of this setup is shown below:

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/u.../elecshell.gif
----
Gauss' Law = |(E . DA) = Qenclosed / (Epsilon-not)
----

1) Compare the magnitude of the electrical flux through a cylindrical surface, 1 m long, (centered on the z-axis) with a radius of 1.5 cm to that of a cylindrical surface, 1 m long, (centered on the z-axis) with a radius of 3.5 cm.

A) Flux1.5 cm > Flux3.5 cm
B) Flux1.5 cm = Flux3.5 cm
C) Flux1.5 cm < Flux3.5 cm

----------------------------------
My logic is this. At 1.5cm the field is closer to the surface with a +2u C/m. Near 3.5, it is near a surface with a net charge of -5u C/m. So the magnitude of the e field is probably greater near the -5u C/m surface. According to Gauss' Law, since the magnitude of the e field is greater and the area is greater (3.5cm radius > 1.5cm radius), then the answer should be C.

So I said the answer is C.

2) Compare the magnitude of the electric field at 2.5 cm from the z-axis and 4.5 cm from the z-axis.

A) E2.5 cm > E4.5 cm
B) E2.5 cm = E4.5 cm
C) E2.5 cm < E4.5 cm

Here, E2.5 cm is zero because it is within the conducting shell. Since the E field is not zero at 4.5 cm, the magnitude must be greater.

3) Compare the magnitude (i.e., the absolute value) of the electrical flux through a cylindrical surface, 1 m long, (centered on the z-axis) with a radius of 4.5 cm to that of a cylindrical surface, 1 m long, (centered on the z-axis) with a radius of 5.5cm.

A) Flux4.5 cm > Flux5.5 cm
B) Flux4.5 cm = Flux5.5 cm
C) Flux4.5 cm < Flux5.5 cm

------------------------
Since 5.5 cm is within a conducting shell, it's e field = 0. So then its flux must also be zero due to Gauss' Law. So the magnitude of the flux is greater in 4.5cm.

So I said the answer is A.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Can somebody please help me with this problem and review my answers because I am not sure about it. How do I go about this problem in a more precise fashion? Thanks for the help in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You posted an incomplete link to your diagram.
TwinGemini14 said:
1) Compare the magnitude of the electrical flux through a cylindrical surface, 1 m long, (centered on the z-axis) with a radius of 1.5 cm to that of a cylindrical surface, 1 m long, (centered on the z-axis) with a radius of 3.5 cm.

A) Flux1.5 cm > Flux3.5 cm
B) Flux1.5 cm = Flux3.5 cm
C) Flux1.5 cm < Flux3.5 cm

My logic is this. At 1.5cm the field is closer to the surface with a +2u C/m. Near 3.5, it is near a surface with a net charge of -5u C/m. So the magnitude of the e field is probably greater near the -5u C/m surface. According to Gauss' Law, since the magnitude of the e field is greater and the area is greater (3.5cm radius > 1.5cm radius), then the answer should be C.

What determines the net flux through a Gaussian surface per Gauss's law? How does that compare for Gaussian surfaces at the two radii in question?

2) Compare the magnitude of the electric field at 2.5 cm from the z-axis and 4.5 cm from the z-axis.

A) E2.5 cm > E4.5 cm
B) E2.5 cm = E4.5 cm
C) E2.5 cm < E4.5 cm

Here, E2.5 cm is zero because it is within the conducting shell. Since the E field is not zero at 4.5 cm, the magnitude must be greater.

Good thinking.

3) Compare the magnitude (i.e., the absolute value) of the electrical flux through a cylindrical surface, 1 m long, (centered on the z-axis) with a radius of 4.5 cm to that of a cylindrical surface, 1 m long, (centered on the z-axis) with a radius of 5.5cm.

A) Flux4.5 cm > Flux5.5 cm
B) Flux4.5 cm = Flux5.5 cm
C) Flux4.5 cm < Flux5.5 cm

------------------------
Since 5.5 cm is within a conducting shell, it's e field = 0. So then its flux must also be zero due to Gauss' Law. So the magnitude of the flux is greater in 4.5cm.

So I said the answer is A.
Right. But the flux is zero not due to Gauss's law, but due to the fact that the field is zero.

What is Gauss' Law and why is it important in solving electric field and flux problems?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law in electrostatics that relates the electric field and electric flux of a closed surface to the charge enclosed within that surface. It is important because it allows us to solve complex electric field and flux problems by simplifying them into a single equation.

What is the equation for Gauss' Law and how is it used to solve problems?

The equation for Gauss' Law is ∮SE · dA = Qenc0, where ∮SE · dA represents the electric flux through a closed surface, Qenc is the charge enclosed within that surface, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space. To solve problems, we use this equation to calculate the electric flux and then relate it to the electric field using the properties of the surface and the enclosed charge.

What is the difference between electric field and electric flux?

Electric field is a vector quantity that represents the force per unit charge at a given point in space. Electric flux, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that represents the amount of electric field passing through a given surface. While electric field is a local property, electric flux is a global property that takes into account the entire surface.

What are the units for electric field and electric flux?

The units for electric field are newtons per coulomb (N/C). The units for electric flux are newton-meters squared per coulomb (N·m2/C).

What are some common mistakes when solving Gauss' Law problems?

Some common mistakes include using the wrong equation, not considering the direction of the electric field, and not properly defining the surface and enclosed charge. It is also important to pay attention to the units and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculation.